* RE: Strange new behavior...
       [not found] <1044463776.5479.ezmlm@cygwin.com>
@ 2003-02-05 17:02 ` Brian J. Ackermann
From: Brian J. Ackermann @ 2003-02-05 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Yep, that did the trick (the mkpasswd -d -u solution)

Thanks a bunch...

I am still wondering why this didn't 'go away' after a complete uninstall, and consequent reinstall?

Brian

>>Vince says:
>>
>>sounds like something funny in /etc/passwd try regenerating it with
>>mv /etc/passwd /etc/passwd.old
>>mkpasswd -l >/etc/passwd
>>and if you are in a domain
>>mkpasswd -d -u "your username" >> /etc/passwd

* RE: Strange new behavior...
@ 2003-02-05 17:12   ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-02-05 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian J. Ackermann; +Cc: cygwin

Because even a complete uninstall won't remove user-created files (such as
/etc/passwd), and a reinstall won't recreate them if they are already
present.
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune

* Re: Strange new behavior...
@ 2003-02-05 17:13     ` Brian J. Ackermann
From: Brian J. Ackermann @ 2003-02-05 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Understandable, but in my desperation I removed the entire C:\cygwin
root directory, no to mention a number of regustry entries...

So, one might think I was thourough...

@ 2003-02-05 17:18       ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-02-05 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian J. Ackermann; +Cc: cygwin

Oops, sorry, should have read your message more carefully...
/etc/postinstall/passwd-grp.sh simply does not create domain users.  I'm
sure this fact is documented somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment.

@ 2003-02-05 17:23         ` Brian J. Ackermann
From: Brian J. Ackermann @ 2003-02-05 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Good to know,

Although I still find it curious that it had been working until last
week sometime, when I updated...

Thanks much!!

@ 2003-02-06 16:39           ` Brian McGroarty
From: Brian McGroarty @ 2003-02-06 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 11:20:49AM -0600, Brian J. Ackermann wrote:
> Good to know,
>
> Although I still find it curious that it had been working until last
> week sometime, when I updated...
>
> Thanks much!!
>
> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
> >Oops, sorry, should have read your message more carefully...
> >/etc/postinstall/passwd-grp.sh simply does not create domain users.  I'm
> >sure this fact is documented somewhere, but I can't find it at the moment.
> >	Igor

I observed this behavior (no /etc/passwd generation) on another
machine when performing a fresh install on two users' machines
yesterday. The machine that worked properly received a single-user
install, while the one that failed was an install for "All Users."

If anyone has a virgin machine at their disposal, it may be worth a
quick test to ensure that something isn't broken.

Brian McGroarty
http://www.mcgroarty.net

* RE: Strange new behavior...
@ 2003-02-05 14:39 Vince Hoffman
From: Vince Hoffman @ 2003-02-05 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

sounds like something funny in /etc/passwd try regenerating it with
mv /etc/passwd /etc/passwd.old
mkpasswd -l >/etc/passwd
and if you are in a domain
mkpasswd -d -u "your username" >> /etc/passwd

* Strange new behavior...
@ 2003-02-05 14:28 Brian J. Ackermann