* Re: username problem
       [not found] <OF8A00B73B.EA4091C3-ON86256CC4.007D7358@trilogy.com>
@ 2003-02-05 22:56 ` Elfyn McBratney
From: Elfyn McBratney @ 2003-02-05 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Ali.Naddaf

> > I just installed the latest cygwin on my Win2K machine. When I open a
> > shell, my prompt is "t-ow@naddaf2". On the other hand, "id" reports my
> > username as "anaddaf" which is the username that I use when I login to
> my
> > Win2K machine. I saw similar postings and the suggested solution was to
> > update the /etc/passwd file but in my case, it won't do any good since
> my
> > /etc/password is identical to the "mkpassword -l".
>
> Are you sure they are exaclty the same. No changes in the Sid? Just to be
> on
> the safe side you should update your /etc/{passwd,group} file just to be
> certain that's not whats holding you back.
>
> > What is puzzling me is that the user "anaddaf" which "id" reports
> doesn't
> > even exist in the /etc/passwd, nor does "t-ow". When I open the shell,
> it
> > takes me to the /home/Administrator directory. If I create a file, the
> > "owner/group" of my file will be set to "anaddaf/mkgroup" and again
> > "mkgroup" doesn't even exist in the /etc/group file.
>
> Hmmmm tahts odd :-( What is the contents of your CYGWIN environment
> variable
>
> $ echo $CYGWIN

Well it was just a hunch...Im going to have to let an expert take over now
:::::::::-) Sorry!

Regards,

Elfyn McBratney
elfyn@exposure.org.uk
www.exposure.org.uk

* tclsh does not understand cygwin paths
@ 2003-02-05 23:14   ` William A. Hoffman
From: William A. Hoffman @ 2003-02-05 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The tclsh84 does not understand cygwin style paths.
So, if you do tclsh /cygdrive/c/foo/bar.tcl it can not
find the file.

This tcl does:
 ftp://ftp.nanotech.wisc.edu/pub/khan/tcl/tcltk-8.3.4-cygwin/

I was wondering if Mumit Khan's patches for tcl could be incorporated
into the cygwin tclsh.   It seems sort of bad that the default
tcl that comes with cygwin does not fully understand cygwin paths.

-Bill

* Re: tclsh does not understand cygwin paths
@ 2003-02-05 23:18     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-02-05 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 06:14:36PM -0500, William A. Hoffman wrote:
>The tclsh84 does not understand cygwin style paths.
>So, if you do tclsh /cygdrive/c/foo/bar.tcl it can not
>find the file.
>
>This tcl does:
> ftp://ftp.nanotech.wisc.edu/pub/khan/tcl/tcltk-8.3.4-cygwin/
>
>I was wondering if Mumit Khan's patches for tcl could be incorporated
>into the cygwin tclsh.   It seems sort of bad that the default
>tcl that comes with cygwin does not fully understand cygwin paths.

Use.  The.  Insight.  Mailing.  List.  To.  Report.  tcl/tk.  problems.

cgf

* Re: tclsh does not understand cygwin paths
@ 2003-02-06 15:01       ` William A. Hoffman
From: William A. Hoffman @ 2003-02-06 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am a bit confused, from here:

http://cygwin.com/lists.html

It would seem like this was the right list to
post cygwin specific problems with UNIX tools that
come with Cygwin.   Perhaps the web page should be updated to
include three and not two exceptions,  XFree, programs not from
cygwin.com and tcl/tk.

-Bill

@ 2003-02-06 15:47         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-02-06 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 10:01:25AM -0500, William A. Hoffman wrote:
>I am a bit confused, from here:
>
>http://cygwin.com/lists.html
>
>It would seem like this was the right list to
>post cygwin specific problems with UNIX tools that
>come with Cygwin.   Perhaps the web page should be updated to
>include three and not two exceptions,  XFree, programs not from
>cygwin.com and tcl/tk.

Please go away.

cgf

* Re: username problem
@ 2003-02-07  1:53   ` Isaque Galdino de Araujo
From: Isaque Galdino de Araujo @ 2003-02-07  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elfyn McBratney; +Cc: cygwin, Ali.Naddaf

Is you user a domain user? If so, you could use:
mkpasswd -d -u anaddaf >> /etc/passwd

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 22:57:29 -0000 Elfyn McBratney wrote:

> > > I just installed the latest cygwin on my Win2K machine. When I open a
> > > shell, my prompt is "t-ow@naddaf2". On the other hand, "id" reports my
> > > username as "anaddaf" which is the username that I use when I login to
> > my
> > > Win2K machine. I saw similar postings and the suggested solution was to
> > > update the /etc/passwd file but in my case, it won't do any good since
> > my
> > > /etc/password is identical to the "mkpassword -l".
> >
> > Are you sure they are exaclty the same. No changes in the Sid? Just to be
> > on
> > the safe side you should update your /etc/{passwd,group} file just to be
> > certain that's not whats holding you back.
> >
> > > What is puzzling me is that the user "anaddaf" which "id" reports
> > doesn't
> > > even exist in the /etc/passwd, nor does "t-ow". When I open the shell,
> > it
> > > takes me to the /home/Administrator directory. If I create a file, the
> > > "owner/group" of my file will be set to "anaddaf/mkgroup" and again
> > > "mkgroup" doesn't even exist in the /etc/group file.
> >
> > Hmmmm tahts odd :-( What is the contents of your CYGWIN environment
> > variable
> >
> > $ echo $CYGWIN
>
> Well it was just a hunch...Im going to have to let an expert take over now
> :::::::::-) Sorry!
>

> Regards,
>
> Elfyn McBratney
> elfyn@exposure.org.uk
> www.exposure.org.uk
>

> --

Isaque Galdino de Araujo             Slackware, Agenda VR3, Vim and Cygwin user.
http://sites.uol.com.br/isaque                        Java and C/C++ programmer.

* Re: username problem
@ 2003-02-05 22:45 ` Elfyn McBratney
From: Elfyn McBratney @ 2003-02-05 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Ali.Naddaf

> I just installed the latest cygwin on my Win2K machine. When I open a
> shell, my prompt is "t-ow@naddaf2". On the other hand, "id" reports my
> username as "anaddaf" which is the username that I use when I login to my
> Win2K machine. I saw similar postings and the suggested solution was to
> update the /etc/passwd file but in my case, it won't do any good since my
> /etc/password is identical to the "mkpassword -l".

Are you sure they are exaclty the same. No changes in the Sid? Just to be on
the safe side you should update your /etc/{passwd,group} file just to be
certain that's not whats holding you back.

> What is puzzling me is that the user "anaddaf" which "id" reports doesn't
> even exist in the /etc/passwd, nor does "t-ow". When I open the shell, it
> takes me to the /home/Administrator directory. If I create a file, the
> "owner/group" of my file will be set to "anaddaf/mkgroup" and again
> "mkgroup" doesn't even exist in the /etc/group file.

Hmmmm tahts odd :-( What is the contents of your CYGWIN environment variable

$ echo $CYGWIN

Regards,

Elfyn McBratney
elfyn@exposure.org.uk
www.exposure.org.uk

* username problem
@ 2003-02-05 22:24 Ali.Naddaf
From: Ali.Naddaf @ 2003-02-05 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello everyone.

Before I describe the problem, I wanted to ask to include my email address

in the CC field if possible since I am not on the list. I have some
problems which might be related.

I just installed the latest cygwin on my Win2K machine. When I open a
shell, my prompt is "t-ow@naddaf2". On the other hand, "id" reports my
username as "anaddaf" which is the username that I use when I login to my
Win2K machine. I saw similar postings and the suggested solution was to
update the /etc/passwd file but in my case, it won't do any good since my
/etc/password is identical to the "mkpassword -l".

What is puzzling me is that the user "anaddaf" which "id" reports doesn't
even exist in the /etc/passwd, nor does "t-ow". When I open the shell, it
takes me to the /home/Administrator directory. If I create a file, the
"owner/group" of my file will be set to "anaddaf/mkgroup" and again
"mkgroup" doesn't even exist in the /etc/group file.

I also noticed that commands such as "chmod" or "chown" don't do anything.

So for example "chmod a-r filename" doesn't change the "read" permission
on the "filename" at all! This might be related to the above issue.

I would appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Ali.