* CVS winsup/testsuite/winsup.api/pthread/condvar9.c failure
@ 2003-03-28  2:11 Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2003-03-28  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have been seeing this for a few days now.  I will investigate further
when I have more time, but I thought I would give Thomas Pfaff and others
a heads up.

It is failing with:

Assertion failed: (awoken == NUMTHREADS - canceledThreads), file
/home/ford/downloads/cygwin/winsup/testsuite/winsup.api/pthread/condvar9.c,
line 229

A simple debug shows:

pthread/condvar9.c: awoken 8 NUMTHREADS 9 canceledThreads 2

This loop seems strangely architected, so I will have to look into the
correctness of the test later.

Just FYI.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer

* Re: CVS winsup/testsuite/winsup.api/pthread/condvar9.c failure
@ 2003-03-28 11:51 ` Thomas Pfaff
From: Thomas Pfaff @ 2003-03-28 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Ford; +Cc: cygwin

Brian Ford wrote:
> I have been seeing this for a few days now.  I will investigate further
> when I have more time, but I thought I would give Thomas Pfaff and others
> a heads up.
>
> It is failing with:
>
> Assertion failed: (awoken == NUMTHREADS - canceledThreads), file
> /home/ford/downloads/cygwin/winsup/testsuite/winsup.api/pthread/condvar9.c,
> line 229
>
> A simple debug shows:
>
> pthread/condvar9.c: awoken 8 NUMTHREADS 9 canceledThreads 2
>
> This loop seems strangely architected, so I will have to look into the
> correctness of the test later.
>
> Just FYI.

I can't reproduce this on NT4SP6 single CPU, i always get:

awoken 7, canceledThreads 2

Which windows version are you using ?

Thomas

* Re: CVS winsup/testsuite/winsup.api/pthread/condvar9.c failure
@ 2003-03-28 16:49   ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2003-03-28 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Pfaff; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Thomas Pfaff wrote:

> Brian Ford wrote:
> > I have been seeing this for a few days now.  I will investigate further
> > when I have more time, but I thought I would give Thomas Pfaff and others
> > a heads up.
> >
> > It is failing with:
> >
> > Assertion failed: (awoken == NUMTHREADS - canceledThreads), file
> > /home/ford/downloads/cygwin/winsup/testsuite/winsup.api/pthread/condvar9.c,
> > line 229
> >
> > A simple debug shows:
> >
> > pthread/condvar9.c: awoken 8 NUMTHREADS 9 canceledThreads 2
> >
> > This loop seems strangely architected, so I will have to look into the
> > correctness of the test later.
> >
> > Just FYI.
> >

> I can't reproduce this on NT4SP6 single CPU, i always get:
>
> awoken 7, canceledThreads 2
>
> Which windows version are you using ?

Windows XP Professional Ver 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1 single CPU

--

@ 2003-04-03 10:29     ` Thomas Pfaff
From: Thomas Pfaff @ 2003-04-03 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Ford; +Cc: cygwin

Brian Ford wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Thomas Pfaff wrote:
>>Brian Ford wrote:
>>>It is failing with:
>>>Assertion failed: (awoken == NUMTHREADS - canceledThreads), file
>>>/home/ford/downloads/cygwin/winsup/testsuite/winsup.api/pthread/condvar9.c,
>>>line 229
>>>A simple debug shows:
>>>pthread/condvar9.c: awoken 8 NUMTHREADS 9 canceledThreads 2
>>>Just FYI.
>>I can't reproduce this on NT4SP6 single CPU, i always get:
>>awoken 7, canceledThreads 2
>>Which windows version are you using ?
> Windows XP Professional Ver 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1 single CPU

I tried on XP and i was not able to reproduce.
Can you dig a little deeper ?

Thomas

* Re: CVS winsup/testsuite/winsup.api/pthread/condvar9.c failure
@ 2003-04-03 15:28       ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2003-04-03 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Pfaff; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Thomas Pfaff wrote:

> I tried on XP and i was not able to reproduce.
> Can you dig a little deeper ?

Sure.  Two questions though.

First, any pointers on where or how to start?  I just thought you might
have some specific questions that would lead us to the problem more quickly.

Second, I wan't to make sure this isn't a false alarm as I am fairly new
to building Cygwin.  My sources are current as of this morning.  Is this
test proceedure valid?

I simply made a build dir.  Configured as "../cygwin/configure
--prefix=/home/ford/cygtest".  Ran "make; make check".

How does the test framework handle cygwin1.dll conficts, if it does?  ie.
Do I need to stop all Cygwin processes before running make check?  Do I
need to install the new Cygwin before running make check?  The FAQ appears
to say no here.

Last, how do you developers manage test running Cygwin versions and
reverting.  Obvioulsy, for things like the new 64 bit support, just
swapping cygwin1.dll is not sufficient.

Thanks.

--

@ 2003-04-03 16:42         ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-04-03 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Ford; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Brian Ford wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Thomas Pfaff wrote:
>
> > I tried on XP and i was not able to reproduce.
> > Can you dig a little deeper ?
>
> Sure.  Two questions though.
>
> First, any pointers on where or how to start?  I just thought you might
> have some specific questions that would lead us to the problem more quickly.
>
> Second, I wan't to make sure this isn't a false alarm as I am fairly new
> to building Cygwin.  My sources are current as of this morning.  Is this
> test proceedure valid?
>
> I simply made a build dir.  Configured as "../cygwin/configure
> --prefix=/home/ford/cygtest".  Ran "make; make check".
>
> How does the test framework handle cygwin1.dll conficts, if it does?  ie.
> Do I need to stop all Cygwin processes before running make check?  Do I
> need to install the new Cygwin before running make check?  The FAQ appears
> to say no here.
>
> Last, how do you developers manage test running Cygwin versions and
> reverting.  Obvioulsy, for things like the new 64 bit support, just
> swapping cygwin1.dll is not sufficient.
>
> Thanks.

Brian,

IIRC, the testsuite uses new-cygwin1.dll, not cygwin1.dll...  Hence no
conflict.  See winsup/testsuite/cygrun.c.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II

* Re: CVS winsup/testsuite/winsup.api/pthread/condvar9.c failure
@ 2003-04-03 18:32         ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2003-04-03 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Pfaff; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Thomas Pfaff wrote:

> I tried on XP and i was not able to reproduce.
> Can you dig a little deeper ?

More info.  It is the first cancel that is failing:
cancel thread 2
awoken 1 thread 1
awoken 2 thread 2
awoken 3 thread 3
awoken 4 thread 4
cancel thread 7
awoken 5 thread 5
awoken 6 thread 6
awoken 7 thread 9
awoken 8 thread 8
awoken 8 num 9 cancel 2

--

@ 2003-04-03 20:21           ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2003-04-03 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Pfaff; +Cc: cygwin

Yet more detail below.  It is definately a thread cancel failure.

thread 1 wait
thread 2 wait
thread 3 wait
thread 4 wait
cancel 2
thread 1 run
thread 1 awoken 1
thread 2 run
thread 2 awoken 2
thread 3 run
thread 3 awoken 3
thread 4 run
thread 4 awoken 4
thread 5 wait
thread 6 wait
thread 7 wait
thread 8 wait
thread 9 wait
cancel 7
thread 5 run
thread 5 awoken 5
thread 6 run
thread 6 awoken 6
thread 9 run
thread 9 awoken 7
thread 8 run
thread 8 awoken 8
awoken 8 num 9 cancel 2

--

@ 2003-04-03 21:37           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-04-03 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 11:22:08AM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>IIRC, the testsuite uses new-cygwin1.dll, not cygwin1.dll...  Hence no
>conflict.  See winsup/testsuite/cygrun.c.

Actually, lately, it is using cygwin0.dll rather than new-cygwin1.dll.

FYI,
cgf