* [newbie] how to install cygwin by version? and fix breakage?
@ 2003-04-25 21:38 Qwer Zxcv
From: Qwer Zxcv @ 2003-04-25 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

How can I install a new version of cygwin, such that

* my old version remains undisturbed, and can be used
if needed

* the new version knows my old customizations (e.g.
downloaded/
  installed packages, mounts, profile, bash settings)

? And how do I fix what I've broken? What I mean:

When installing software, I tend to be conservative. I
install
versions to separate directories so that I can run the
old version if
I don't like (or I screw up) something in the new
version. Also, for
cygwin, I

* Download from Internet, and then Install from Local
Directory

* keep my $HOME in a separate directory (on a network
drive)

Accordingly I had d:\{download, bin}\cygwin\1.3.13-1,
and had been
happily using that for ~6mo. (Note that I am _not_ a
"heavyweight"
user: I do some bash scripting, but mostly I just run
find, grep, etc
from bash. My customizations are pretty minimal.) I
noticed a problem
with 'unzip', so I went to upgrade it, and got a
warning that I was
downlevel wrt setup.exe. So I got and ran the new
setup.exe, which
showed me I was downlevel wrt cygwin. So I

* downloaded to d:\download\cygwin\1.3.22-1

* installed to d:\bin\cygwin\1.3.22-1

I believe I noticed some complaining in the
end-of-install shell
window, but it scrolled by too fast for me to record
any particulars.

* changed my windows path to point to
d:\bin\cygwin\1.3.22-1, i.e.,
  when I do Control Panel>System>Advanced>Environment
Variables>System
  Variables>Path, I see

d:\bin\cygwin\1.3.22-1\bin;d:\bin\cygwin\1.3.22-1\usr\X11R6\bin;

  and so on.

* added a new shortcut to the new setup.exe

* copied my old d:\bin\cygwin\1.3.13-1\tlrBash.bat

> @echo off
> cd /d D:\bin\cygwin\1.3.13-1\bin

> rem Set vars for Emacs
> set CYGWIN=tty title
> set TERM=ansi
> set HOME=t:\tlroche

> bash --login -i

> rem Does this really unset?
> set HOME=
> set TERM=
> set CYGWIN=

  to d:\bin\cygwin\1.3.22-1\tlrBash.bat

> @echo off
> cd /d D:\bin\cygwin\1.3.22-1\bin

> rem Set vars for Emacs
> set CYGWIN=tty title
> set TERM=ansi
> set HOME=t:\tlroche

> bash --login -i

> rem Does this really unset?
> set HOME=
> set TERM=
> set CYGWIN=

* added a shortcut to the new tlrBash.bat

* copied my old bashrc and profile into my new
  d:\bin\cygwin\1.3.22-1\etc

and ran the shortcut to the new tlrBash.bat. It starts
up with

> bash: id: command not found
> bash: /bin/grep: No such file or directory
> bash: /bin/echo: No such file or directory
> bash: tr: command not found

> tlroche@tlrf204 ~
> $

i.e. it's got my prompt customizations, but the path
is wrong. If I do

> $ echo $PATH

/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/d/bin/cygwin/1.3.10/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/c/WINNT/system32:/c/WINNT:/c/WINNT/System32/Wbem:/g/bin/cmvc/1.7/CMVC/EXE:.

which is very wrong: I haven't used 1.3.10 for a long
time (and AFAICR
I've never run CMVC from bash, either). (But at least
it knows my
mounts :-) It also doesn't match the path in my
d/bin/cygwin/1.3.22-1/etc/profile. It can't even find
'ls' :-(

Being confused, I rebooted, JIC my windows (w2k sp2)
had not picked up
the windows path changes: no change.

So I changed my windows path to point back to the old
cygwin (i.e.

d:\bin\cygwin\1.3.13-1\bin;d:\bin\cygwin\1.3.13-1\usr\X11R6\bin;

and so on) and ran the shortcut to the old bash.
Formerly, it worked
flawlessly: now, it also starts up with

> bash: /bin/echo: No such file or directory
> bash: /bin/grep: No such file or directory

> tlroche@tlrf204 ~
> $

and I get

> $ echo $PATH

/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/d/bin/cygwin/1.3.10/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/c/WINNT/system32:/c/WINNT:/c/WINNT/System32/Wbem:/g/bin/cmvc/1.7/CMVC/EXE:.

So I'd like to know:

0 How can I fix one or both of my current
configurations?

1 What's the general procedure to do
version-preserving cygwin
  installs?

Also please note: I'd appreciate it if you could reply
directly to me,
as well as to the list. I'm on the digest, to avoid
flooding my inbox,
but I'd like to get this problem fixed ASAP, without
waiting for the
digest. I have some scripts I need to run, in order to
get "real work"
done, but for now I'm "dead in the water" :-(

* Re: [newbie] how to install cygwin by version? and fix breakage?
@ 2003-04-25 22:05 ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2003-04-25 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Qwer Zxcv, cygwin

Qwer Zxcv wrote:
> How can I install a new version of cygwin, such that
>
> * my old version remains undisturbed, and can be used
> if needed
>
> * the new version knows my old customizations (e.g.
> downloaded/
>   installed packages, mounts, profile, bash settings)
>
> ? And how do I fix what I've broken? What I mean:
>
> When installing software, I tend to be conservative. I
> install
> versions to separate directories so that I can run the
> old version if
> I don't like (or I screw up) something in the new
> version. Also, for
> cygwin, I
>
> * Download from Internet, and then Install from Local
> Directory
>
> * keep my $HOME in a separate directory (on a network
> drive)
>
> Accordingly I had d:\{download, bin}\cygwin\1.3.13-1,
> and had been
> happily using that for ~6mo. (Note that I am _not_ a
> "heavyweight"
> user: I do some bash scripting, but mostly I just run
> find, grep, etc
> from bash. My customizations are pretty minimal.) I
> noticed a problem
> with 'unzip', so I went to upgrade it, and got a
> warning that I was
> downlevel wrt setup.exe. So I got and ran the new
> setup.exe, which
> showed me I was downlevel wrt cygwin. So I
>
> * downloaded to d:\download\cygwin\1.3.22-1
>
> * installed to d:\bin\cygwin\1.3.22-1

You realize that this is kind of pointless? An update of any package, not
just cygwin, could potentialy cause a bug.

Plus, if you do find a bug, you can always roll back to an old version of
whichever package caused the problem.

>> bash: id: command not found
>> bash: /bin/grep: No such file or directory
>> bash: /bin/echo: No such file or directory
>> bash: tr: command not found
> i.e. it's got my prompt customizations, but the path
> is wrong. If I do
>
>> $ echo $PATH

/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/d/bin/cygwin/1.3.10/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/c/WINN
T/system32:/c/WINNT:/c/WINNT/System32/Wbem:/g/bin/cmvc/1.7/CMVC/EXE:.

> which is very wrong: I haven't used 1.3.10 for a long
> time (and AFAICR
> I've never run CMVC from bash, either). (But at least
> it knows my
> mounts :-) It also doesn't match the path in my
> d/bin/cygwin/1.3.22-1/etc/profile. It can't even find
> 'ls' :-(
>
> Being confused, I rebooted, JIC my windows (w2k sp2)
> had not picked up
> the windows path changes: no change.
>
> So I changed my windows path to point back to the old
> cygwin (i.e.
>

> d:\bin\cygwin\1.3.13-1\bin;d:\bin\cygwin\1.3.13-1\usr\X11R6\bin;
>
> and so on) and ran the shortcut to the old bash.
> Formerly, it worked
> flawlessly: now, it also starts up with
>
>> bash: /bin/echo: No such file or directory
>> bash: /bin/grep: No such file or directory
>
>> tlroche@tlrf204 ~
>> $
>
> and I get
>
>> $ echo $PATH

/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/d/bin/cygwin/1.3.10/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/c/WINN
T/system32:/c/WINNT:/c/WINNT/System32/Wbem:/g/bin/cmvc/1.7/CMVC/EXE:.

> So I'd like to know:
>
> 0 How can I fix one or both of my current
> configurations?

Check if echo/grep exist. Find out why your path is weird. Check your mount
table. Remove all but one of your Cygwin installs. Post cygcheck -svr output
(attached).

> 1 What's the general procedure to do
> version-preserving cygwin
>   installs?

There is no recommended procedure to install multiple versions of Cygwin.
The recommended procedure is to keep old package versions on your hard disc
and roll back to them if you need to.

> Also please note: I'd appreciate it if you could reply
> directly to me,
> as well as to the list. I'm on the digest, to avoid
> flooding my inbox,
> but I'd like to get this problem fixed ASAP, without
> waiting for the
> digest. I have some scripts I need to run, in order to
> get "real work"
> done, but for now I'm "dead in the water" :-(

Max.

* Re: [newbie] how to install cygwin by version? and fix breakage?
@ 2003-04-25 22:34   ` Qwer Zxcv
From: Qwer Zxcv @ 2003-04-25 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Bowsher; +Cc: cygwin

Qwer Zxcv wrote:
>> How can I install a new version of cygwin, such that

>> * my old version remains undisturbed, and can be used if needed

>> * the new version knows my old customizations (e.g. downloaded/
>>   installed packages, mounts, profile, bash settings)

<big snip>

Max Bowsher <maxb@ukf.net> wrote:
> There is no recommended procedure to install multiple versions of
> Cygwin. The recommended procedure is to keep old package versions
on
> your hard disc and roll back to them if you need to.

Umm, I thought that's what I meant by "my old version remains
undisturbed, and can be used if needed." But apparently not, so allow
me to revise the question:

1 How can one install a new version of cygwin so as to preserve old
  package versions in such a manner that one can roll back if needed?

@ 2003-04-25 22:38     ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-04-25 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Qwer Zxcv; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Qwer Zxcv wrote:

> Qwer Zxcv wrote:
> >> How can I install a new version of cygwin, such that
>
> >> * my old version remains undisturbed, and can be used if needed
>
> >> * the new version knows my old customizations (e.g. downloaded/
> >>   installed packages, mounts, profile, bash settings)
>
> <big snip>
>
> >> 1 What's the general procedure to do version-preserving cygwin
> >>   installs?
>
> Max Bowsher <maxb@ukf.net> wrote:
> > There is no recommended procedure to install multiple versions of
> > Cygwin. The recommended procedure is to keep old package versions on
> > your hard disc and roll back to them if you need to.
>
> Umm, I thought that's what I meant by "my old version remains
> undisturbed, and can be used if needed." But apparently not, so allow
> me to revise the question:
>
> 1 How can one install a new version of cygwin so as to preserve old
>   package versions in such a manner that one can roll back if needed?

The Cygwin installation tool, setup.exe, caches the package tarballs that
it downloads in a subdirectory of the local installation directory (the
name is actually an RFC1738-encoded URL of the mirror).  It never deletes
any of the downloaded packages, so they are always available (unless you
delete them yourself).  The currently installed version and the previous
version are almost always available.

If you need to go back more than two versions, you can, but the versions
will not show up on the package list (since they are not in the setup.ini
file).  There are a few solutions for this.  The easiest for you would
probably be to find a "stale" mirror (a mirror that doesn't get updated
very often -- I believe one was mentioned recently on this list) and use
it as one of your mirrors (yes, you can select more than one).  That way,
older versions mentioned in setup.ini from that mirror will be readily
available for install.

Alternatively, you could make a copy of setup.ini into another directory
and edit it to put the older version in (as "prev", probably).  You can
then point setup.exe to that directory as your local directory, and voila.
For details on the format of setup.ini see
<http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin-apps/setup.html>.
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II

* what determines cygwin path?
@ 2003-04-25 23:06   ` Qwer Zxcv
From: Qwer Zxcv @ 2003-04-25 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Max Bowsher wrote:
>> Check if echo/grep exist.

OK, so I roll back to my old cygwin:

* changed my windows (w2k sp2) path to

PATH=d:\bin\cygwin\1.3.13-1\bin;d:\bin\cygwin\1.3.13-1\usr\X11R6\bin;d:\bin;C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT;

  etc. The only cygwin references are the two at the front.

* run the shortcut to my old bash

I get the message

> bash: /bin/echo: No such file or directory
> bash: /bin/grep: No such file or directory

But both grep and echo are in /d/bin/cygwin/1.3.13-1/bin/, and run if
I cd there. 'id' also runs from there.

> qwerzxcv@qwerzxcv /d/bin/cygwin/1.3.13-1/bin
> $ id
> uid=1002(qwerzxcv) gid=513(None)
groups=513(None),544(Administrators),545(Users)

>> Find out why your path is weird.

That's what I'd like to know! so I run

> qwerzxcv@qwerzxcv /d/bin/cygwin/1.3.13-1/bin
> $ cygcheck -svr
> Cygwin Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
> Current System Time: Fri Apr 25 17:33:58 2003

> Windows 2000 Professional Ver 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 2

>         D:\bin\cygwin\1.3.22-1\bin
>         d:\bin\cygwin\1.3.10\bin
>         D:\bin\cygwin\1.3.22-1\usr\X11R6\bin
>         D:\bin\cygwin\1.3.22-1\bin
>         c:\WINNT\system32
>         c:\WINNT
>         c:\WINNT\System32\Wbem
>         g:\bin\cmvc\1.7\CMVC\EXE
>         .
> `id' program not found

which is completely wrong. So what I'd like to know is, how is
cygwin's path determined? (Apparently not entirely by the windows
path, at least not by default.) And how do I fix it?

>> Also please note: I'd appreciate it if you could reply directly to
>> me, as well as to the list. I'm on the digest, to avoid flooding my
>> inbox, but I'd like to get this problem fixed ASAP, without waiting
>> for the digest. I have some scripts I need to run, in order to get
>> "real work" done, but for now I'm "dead in the water" :-(

* Re: what determines cygwin path?
@ 2003-04-25 23:41     ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2003-04-25 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Qwer Zxcv, cygwin

Qwer Zxcv wrote:

> Max Bowsher wrote:
>>> Check if echo/grep exist.
>
> OK, so I roll back to my old cygwin:
>
> * changed my windows (w2k sp2) path to

PATH=d:\bin\cygwin\1.3.13-1\bin;d:\bin\cygwin\1.3.13-1\usr\X11R6\bin;d:\bin;
C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT;

>   etc. The only cygwin references are the two at the front.
>
> * run the shortcut to my old bash
>
> I get the message
>
>> bash: /bin/echo: No such file or directory
>> bash: /bin/grep: No such file or directory
>
> But both grep and echo are in /d/bin/cygwin/1.3.13-1/bin/, and run if
> I cd there. 'id' also runs from there.
>
>> qwerzxcv@qwerzxcv /d/bin/cygwin/1.3.13-1/bin
>> $ id
>> uid=1002(qwerzxcv) gid=513(None)
> groups=513(None),544(Administrators),545(Users)
>
>>> Find out why your path is weird.
>
> That's what I'd like to know! so I run
>
>> qwerzxcv@qwerzxcv /d/bin/cygwin/1.3.13-1/bin
>> $ cygcheck -svr
>> Cygwin Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
>> Current System Time: Fri Apr 25 17:33:58 2003
>
>> Windows 2000 Professional Ver 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 2

>>         D:\bin\cygwin\1.3.22-1\bin
>>         d:\bin\cygwin\1.3.10\bin
>>         D:\bin\cygwin\1.3.22-1\usr\X11R6\bin
>>         D:\bin\cygwin\1.3.22-1\bin
>>         c:\WINNT\system32
>>         c:\WINNT
>>         c:\WINNT\System32\Wbem
>>         g:\bin\cmvc\1.7\CMVC\EXE
>>         .
>> `id' program not found
>
> which is completely wrong. So what I'd like to know is, how is
> cygwin's path determined? (Apparently not entirely by the windows
> path, at least not by default.) And how do I fix it?

Windows + /etc/profile + any user customisation.

No more magic than that.

Oh, and the quickest fix might be to purge everything Cygwin from your
system and reinstall. Cygwin really isn't designed to run alongside another
version of itself.

Max.

* Re: [newbie] how to install cygwin by version? and fix breakage?
@ 2003-04-25 23:52       ` Qwer Zxcv
From: Qwer Zxcv @ 2003-04-25 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Qwer Zxcv wrote:
>> How can I install a new version of cygwin, such that

>> * my old version remains undisturbed, and can be used if needed

>> * the new version knows my old customizations (e.g. downloaded/
>>   installed packages, mounts, profile, bash settings)

Igor Pechtchanski replied:
> The Cygwin installation tool, setup.exe, caches the package tarballs
> that it downloads in a subdirectory of the local installation
> directory (the name is actually an RFC1738-encoded URL of the
> mirror).

Hmm ... so if I download from one mirror, and then go to a new one,
how does setup.exe find out about my current packages? (See below.)

> It never deletes any of the downloaded packages, so they are always
> available (unless you delete them yourself). The currently installed
> version and the previous version are almost always available.

This is good, but not quite what I want. I definitely want to be able
to roll back to the previous _installed_ version, but I don't really
need to be able to roll back to the previous downloads. (Note that I
do download from remote, then install from local.)

What I would like to be able to do is download new versions of all my
old packages. So, for example, suppose I have

/d/cygwin/download/1
/d/cygwin/install/1

I continue to download and install optional packages (e.g. emacs,
perl, wget) until my cygwin has gotten "too old" (i.e. setup.exe
complains). At that point I'd like to be able to

* md (in windows)

/d/cygwin/download/2
/d/cygwin/install/2

  (This I know how to do :-)

? copy /d/cygwin/download/1/mungedMirrorURL/setup.ini to ... where?

  If you could let me know how that should be done, I'd appreciate it.
  Note that all I'm trying to avoid, in this step, redoing the work of
  finding packages that do what I want, and then finding where in
  the setup categories they live.

* download updated packages to /d/cygwin/download/2
* install brand-new cygwin to /d/cygwin/install/2

  (also known)

? twiddle cygwin, windows, et al so as to transfer customizations from
  install/1 to install/2

  (another research problem)

Thanks for your assistance, and good luck with your defense!

@ 2003-04-25 23:59       ` Qwer Zxcv
From: Qwer Zxcv @ 2003-04-25 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Bowsher; +Cc: cygwin

Max Bowsher wrote:
>> Windows + /etc/profile + any user customisation.

Can you be more specific about "any user customisation"?
I know how to fix the windows path. I know how to fix /etc/profile,
which is currently

> qwerzxcv@qwerzxcv /d/bin/cygwin/1.3.13-1/bin
> $ less ../etc/profile
> PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:$PATH"

> USER="`id -un`"

> # Set up USER's home directory
> if [ -z "$HOME" ]; then
>   HOME="/home/$USER"
> fi

> if [ ! -d "$HOME" ]; then
>   mkdir -p "$HOME"
> fi

> export HOME USER

> for i in /etc/profile.d/*.sh ; do
>   if [ -f $i ]; then
>     . $i
>   fi
> done

> export MAKE_MODE=unix
> export PS1='\[\033]0;\w\007
> \033[32m\]\u@\h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]
> $ '

> cd "$HOME"

thus seems not to be problematic. What I don't know is, in

> PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:$PATH"

* Where are

  /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin

  set?

* Is $PATH (at the end) coming only from the windows path, or from
  somewhere else?

* What other user customizations are relevant?

* Re: what determines cygwin path?
@ 2003-04-26  0:00         ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-04-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Qwer Zxcv; +Cc: cygwin

> Max Bowsher wrote:
> >> Windows + /etc/profile + any user customisation.
>
> Can you be more specific about "any user customisation"?
> I know how to fix the windows path. I know how to fix /etc/profile,
> which is currently
>
> > qwerzxcv@qwerzxcv /d/bin/cygwin/1.3.13-1/bin
> > $ less ../etc/profile
> > PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:$PATH"
>
> > USER="`id -un`"
>
> > # Set up USER's home directory
> > if [ -z "$HOME" ]; then
> >   HOME="/home/$USER"
> > fi
>
> > if [ ! -d "$HOME" ]; then
> >   mkdir -p "$HOME"
> > fi
>
> > export HOME USER
>
> > for i in /etc/profile.d/*.sh ; do
> >   if [ -f $i ]; then
> >     . $i
> >   fi
> > done
>
> > export MAKE_MODE=unix
> > export PS1='\[\033]0;\w\007
> > \033[32m\]\u@\h \[\033[33m\w\033[0m\]
> > $ '
>
> > cd "$HOME"
>
> thus seems not to be problematic. What I don't know is, in
>
> > PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:$PATH"
>
> * Where are
>
>   /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
>   set?

"man mount"

> * Is $PATH (at the end) coming only from the windows path, or from
>   somewhere else?

Only from Windows (it is converted to POSIX, though).

> * What other user customizations are relevant?

Anything in your home directory, any /etc/* files you've customized...
Anything you installed in /usr/local/bin...  Maybe something else.
	Igor
--

@ 2003-04-26  0:10         ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2003-04-26  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Qwer Zxcv; +Cc: cygwin

Qwer Zxcv wrote:

> Max Bowsher wrote:
>>> Windows + /etc/profile + any user customisation.
>
> Can you be more specific about "any user customisation"?

Anything you yourself have deliberately changed - e.g. ~/.profile,
~/.bash_profile, etc.

I suggest you post the output of "mount -m".

Max.

* rollback procedure, was: what determines cygwin path?
@ 2003-04-26  0:29           ` Qwer Zxcv
From: Qwer Zxcv @ 2003-04-26  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> "man mount"

Doesn't help much when yr cygwin's down, but, find another box and DOH!
I forgot the mount table was in the REGISTRY ! So I fix that, and now
my old cygwin is working again :-)

Despite the apparent deprecation of this line of inquiry, I'd still
like to document rollback for those who are inclined to "install
defensively." Does the following rollback procedure sound more-or-less
correct/complete? (Note that it assumes that one's new cygwin is not
working.)

0 Change windows path to point (only) to the old version. Cygwin
  references should precede windows references.

1 Use 'regedit' to ensure that entries in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2

  notably

/usr/bin
/usr/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts

  point (only) to the old version.

2 Find or recreate a shortcut to one's old bash-running batchfile.

3 Run bash, check for weirdness.

4 'cygcheck -svr', check for weirdness.

* Re: rollback procedure, was: what determines cygwin path?
@ 2003-04-26  0:38             ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-04-26  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Qwer Zxcv; +Cc: cygwin

> Qwer Zxcv wrote:
> >> What I don't know is, in

> >> * Where are
>
> >>   /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
>
> >>   set?
>
> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > "man mount"
>
> Doesn't help much when yr cygwin's down, but, find another box and DOH!
> I forgot the mount table was in the REGISTRY ! So I fix that, and now
> my old cygwin is working again :-)

The "mount.exe" program will run even if the mounts are all gone (as long
as it's invoked via an absolute path or from the current directory and
cygwin1.dll is in the same directory).

> Despite the apparent deprecation of this line of inquiry, I'd still
> like to document rollback for those who are inclined to "install
> defensively." Does the following rollback procedure sound more-or-less
> correct/complete? (Note that it assumes that one's new cygwin is not
> working.)
>
> 0 Change windows path to point (only) to the old version. Cygwin
>   references should precede windows references.
>
> 1 Use 'regedit' to ensure that entries in
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2
>
>   notably
>
> /usr/bin
> /usr/lib
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
>
>   point (only) to the old version.

No, no, no, no, NO!
It's been stated time and time again on this list that going to the
registry is an unsafe and nonportable way of manipulating the mount table.
Especially when mount.exe does a very adequate job.  There already are
plans (and code, AFAIK, though not in the production system) to store the
mount table in a file instead of in the registry.  Please manipulate the
mount table only by using mount.exe (or setup.exe).

> 2 Find or recreate a shortcut to one's old bash-running batchfile.

You can make a backup copy of the shortcut.  You can, in fact, have
multiple shortcuts.  This still doesn't avoid the fact that you cannot
have multiple versions of cygwin1.dll running at the same time (and even
having two different versions on the same machine is dangerous -- you'd do
better by renaming the old cygwin1.dll to old-cygwin1.dll, for example).
	Igor

@ 2003-04-26  2:04           ` Qwer Zxcv
From: Qwer Zxcv @ 2003-04-26  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Max Bowsher, Igor Pechtchanski; +Cc: cygwin

Max Bowsher wrote (later):
>> Anything you yourself have deliberately changed - e.g. ~/.profile,
>> ~/.bash_profile, etc.

OK, so to enable successful rollback, I should be sure to keep these
in a home directory out of the cygwin tree, correct? I'm presuming
setup.exe is not going to try to read or write them.

Also:

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> The "mount.exe" program will run even if the mounts are all gone (as
> long as it's invoked via an absolute path or from the current
> directory and cygwin1.dll is in the same directory).

> It's been stated time and time again on this list that going to the
> registry is an unsafe and nonportable way of manipulating the mount
> table.

OK, but please keep in mind that (I suspect) lots of folks only read
this list when they're having problems :-)

> Especially when mount.exe does a very adequate job. There already
> are plans (and code, AFAIK, though not in the production system) to
> store the mount table in a file instead of in the registry. Please
> manipulate the mount table only by using mount.exe (or setup.exe).

Will do. I even learned what Max meant by 'mount -m' :-)

So, to ensure roll-back-ability, one should:

*** As part of good cygwin hygeine:

* Create/use a home directory outside the cygwin install tree.

* Ensure cygwin references precede windows references in one's windows
  path (Control Panel>System>Advanced>Environment Variables>System
  Variables>Path).

* Ensure customizations occur only in dotfiles in one's home
  directory.

*** Immediately before installing any new version:

* Note any customizations that affect $PATH. This could be done by,
  e.g., running

find . -type f | grep -ni 'path'

  from one's homedir.

* Know where cygwin1.dll is installed, and ensure that 'mount' runs
  from that directory.

* Record the output of "mount -m", i.e. the mount commands needed to
  restore one's currently-working mount points.

*** To rollback:

0 Change windows path to point (only) to the old version. Cygwin
  references should precede windows references.

1 Run 'mount' using the previously recorded commands.

2 Find or recreate a shortcut to one's old bash-running batchfile.

3 Run bash, check for weirdness.

4 'cygcheck -svr', check for weirdness.

Correct? Am I missing anything major? Did I get anything else wrong?

* Re: rollback procedure, was: what determines cygwin path?
@ 2003-04-26  2:48             ` Max Bowsher
From: Max Bowsher @ 2003-04-26  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Qwer Zxcv; +Cc: cygwin

Qwer Zxcv wrote:

> Max Bowsher wrote (later):
>>> Anything you yourself have deliberately changed - e.g. ~/.profile,
>>> ~/.bash_profile, etc.
>
> OK, so to enable successful rollback, I should be sure to keep these
> in a home directory out of the cygwin tree, correct?

Well, I keep my home in /home, but yes, you can keep them out of the cygwin
tree if you want.

> I'm presuming
> setup.exe is not going to try to read or write them.

Correct.

> Also:
>
> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>> The "mount.exe" program will run even if the mounts are all gone (as
>> long as it's invoked via an absolute path or from the current
>> directory and cygwin1.dll is in the same directory).
>
>> It's been stated time and time again on this list that going to the
>> registry is an unsafe and nonportable way of manipulating the mount
>> table.
>
> OK, but please keep in mind that (I suspect) lots of folks only read
> this list when they're having problems :-)
>
>> Especially when mount.exe does a very adequate job. There already
>> are plans (and code, AFAIK, though not in the production system) to
>> store the mount table in a file instead of in the registry. Please
>> manipulate the mount table only by using mount.exe (or setup.exe).
>
> Will do. I even learned what Max meant by 'mount -m' :-)
>
> So, to ensure roll-back-ability, one should:
>
> *** As part of good cygwin hygeine:
>
> * Create/use a home directory outside the cygwin install tree.

Not really. Its quite safe (and IMO neater) to leave your home in /home,
provided you don't decide to delete your entire Cygwin tree and forget /home
is inside it.

> * Ensure cygwin references precede windows references in one's windows
>   path (Control Panel>System>Advanced>Environment Variables>System
>   Variables>Path).

Not really. Only if you make regular use of Cygwin tools from non-Cygwin
shells.

> * Ensure customizations occur only in dotfiles in one's home
>   directory.

This IS a good idea. Personally, I keep config files that I change inside my
home dir, and symlink to them. That way I can delete everything except /home
and /usr/local if I want to do a clean install.

> *** Immediately before installing any new version:
>
> * Note any customizations that affect $PATH. This could be done by,
>   e.g., running
>
> find . -type f | grep -ni 'path'
>
>   from one's homedir.
>
> * Know where cygwin1.dll is installed, and ensure that 'mount' runs
>   from that directory.
>
> * Record the output of "mount -m", i.e. the mount commands needed to
>   restore one's currently-working mount points.
>
> *** To rollback:
>
> 0 Change windows path to point (only) to the old version. Cygwin
>   references should precede windows references.
>
> 1 Run 'mount' using the previously recorded commands.
>
> 2 Find or recreate a shortcut to one's old bash-running batchfile.
>
> 3 Run bash, check for weirdness.
>
> 4 'cygcheck -svr', check for weirdness.
>
> Correct? Am I missing anything major? Did I get anything else wrong?

Why not just upgrade your Cygwin install, and reinstall previous package
versions if something breaks? Unless you are running a mission-critical
server, I think you are making work for yourself.

Max.

* Re: rollback procedure, was: what determines cygwin path?
@ 2003-04-26  3:03             ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-04-26  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Qwer Zxcv; +Cc: cygwin

Please honor the Reply-To: -- that's what it's there for.

> Max Bowsher wrote (later):
> >> Anything you yourself have deliberately changed - e.g. ~/.profile,
> >> ~/.bash_profile, etc.
>
> OK, so to enable successful rollback, I should be sure to keep these
> in a home directory out of the cygwin tree, correct? I'm presuming
> setup.exe is not going to try to read or write them.

I believe one of the postinstall scripts copied the default versions of
the initialization files (e.g., .bash_profile) to your home directory if
they weren't present there.  You may have to also run "mkpasswd -d" and/or
"mkgroup -d" if you are a domain user -- this sort of think didn't use to
happen by default (it may now).

> Also:
>
> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > The "mount.exe" program will run even if the mounts are all gone (as
> > long as it's invoked via an absolute path or from the current
> > directory and cygwin1.dll is in the same directory).
>
> > It's been stated time and time again on this list that going to the
> > registry is an unsafe and nonportable way of manipulating the mount
> > table.
>
> OK, but please keep in mind that (I suspect) lots of folks only read
> this list when they're having problems :-)

FWIW, the first step should have been *searching* the list (either using
the archive search function, or google).

> > Especially when mount.exe does a very adequate job. There already
> > are plans (and code, AFAIK, though not in the production system) to
> > store the mount table in a file instead of in the registry. Please
> > manipulate the mount table only by using mount.exe (or setup.exe).
>
> Will do. I even learned what Max meant by 'mount -m' :-)
>
> So, to ensure roll-back-ability, one should:
>
> *** As part of good cygwin hygeine:
>
> * Create/use a home directory outside the cygwin install tree.
>
> * Ensure cygwin references precede windows references in one's windows
>   path (Control Panel>System>Advanced>Environment Variables>System
>   Variables>Path).

This is not normally needed.  The default /etc/profile will prepend the
Cygwin binary directories to the front of the path.  Also see the note on
CYGWINROOT below.

> * Ensure customizations occur only in dotfiles in one's home
>   directory.

Again, this is sometimes unavoidable -- e.g., /etc/profile for a domain
user.

> *** Immediately before installing any new version:
>
> * Note any customizations that affect $PATH. This could be done by,
>   e.g., running
>
> find . -type f | grep -ni 'path'
>
>   from one's homedir.

FYI, some people (and scripts) set CYGWINDIR or CYGWINROOT, and use that
as the "/" mount everywhere.  This way, only CYGWINROOT needs to change.

> * Know where cygwin1.dll is installed, and ensure that 'mount' runs
>   from that directory.

cygwin1.dll is usually installed in the same directory as mount.exe,
namely /bin.

> * Record the output of "mount -m", i.e. the mount commands needed to
>   restore one's currently-working mount points.
>
> *** To rollback:
>
> 0 Change windows path to point (only) to the old version. Cygwin
>   references should precede windows references.
>
> 1 Run 'mount' using the previously recorded commands.
>
> 2 Find or recreate a shortcut to one's old bash-running batchfile.
>
> 3 Run bash, check for weirdness.
>
> 4 'cygcheck -svr', check for weirdness.
>
> Correct? Am I missing anything major? Did I get anything else wrong?

If you intend to do this sort of verification often, it probably makes
sense to set up some sort of automatic verification procedure.
"Weirdness" is too vague of a term, IMO.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II

* Re: rollback procedure
@ 2003-04-26  3:09               ` Qwer Zxcv
From: Qwer Zxcv @ 2003-04-26  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I wrote
> * Note any customizations that affect $PATH. This could be done by,
>   e.g., running

> find . -type f | grep -ni 'path'

>   from one's homedir.

which should of course be

find . -type f | xargs grep -i 'path'

* Re: rollback procedure
@ 2003-04-26  4:53                 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-04-26  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Qwer Zxcv; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Qwer Zxcv wrote:

> I wrote
> > * Note any customizations that affect $PATH. This could be done by,
> >   e.g., running
>
> > find . -type f | grep -ni 'path'
>
> >   from one's homedir.
>
> which should of course be
>
> find . -type f | xargs grep -i 'path'

You might want to give at least the "-w" flag to grep, otherwise you'll
catch things like "cygpath" and "classpath".  Alternatively, search for
'\<path[:blank:]*='.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II

* setup re-install, or rollforward procedure?
@ 2003-04-26 15:18                   ` Qwer Zxcv
From: Qwer Zxcv @ 2003-04-26 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Rollback now works reliably, so I blew away my 1.3.22-1 install and
tried to do a new one. After twiddling, I find 2 problems, which
I'd like to fix or workaround:

* setup.exe found my old download and install directories as well as
  the new ones. Anything I wanted to upgrade, it cheerfully installed
  into the new install directory. However AFAICS the only installation
  options are Keep, Skip, Uninstall, or <version == install the new
  version>, so setup.exe won't install an existing package into a new
  install directory. The workaround for this is to copy files from the
  old installdir to the new installdir (but not replace). (Or twiddle
  path, but I didn't think of that.) But is there a way to tell
  setup.exe, "Yes, I know I've already got the package installed in
  another directory. But that location is not the same as the Root
  Install Directory in which I just told you I want to install. SO
  please just install the @#%%^&! package in the new Root Install
  Directory!" A Reinstall option would be useful.

* My new install has info only for bash--it doesn't even have info for
  info. But my old install has info for pretty much everything. Again,
  a workaround is to just copy from the old /usr/info to the new, but
  ... what do I hafta do to ensure a new install has all the latest
  info? (Also, I suspect a Reinstall option would cure this problem
  also--correct?)

* Re: setup re-install, or rollforward procedure?
@ 2003-04-26 15:48                     ` Elfyn McBratney
From: Elfyn McBratney @ 2003-04-26 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Qwer Zxcv

> Rollback now works reliably, so I blew away my 1.3.22-1 install and
> tried to do a new one. After twiddling, I find 2 problems, which
> I'd like to fix or workaround:
>
> * setup.exe found my old download and install directories as well as
>   the new ones. Anything I wanted to upgrade, it cheerfully installed
>   into the new install directory. However AFAICS the only installation
>   options are Keep, Skip, Uninstall, or <version == install the new
>   version>, so setup.exe won't install an existing package into a new
>   install directory. The workaround for this is to copy files from the
>   old installdir to the new installdir (but not replace). (Or twiddle
>   path, but I didn't think of that.) But is there a way to tell
>   setup.exe, "Yes, I know I've already got the package installed in
>   another directory. But that location is not the same as the Root
>   Install Directory in which I just told you I want to install. SO
>   please just install the @#%%^&! package in the new Root Install
>   Directory!" A Reinstall option would be useful.

In the package selection view of setup.exe you have keep, skip, uninstall,
reinstall and install (install being the new version). What you say at the
end makes sense to me, and I think setup should check that stored and target
install path's are not the same (perhaps it does?), so PTC. ;-)

> * My new install has info only for bash--it doesn't even have info for
>   info. But my old install has info for pretty much everything. Again,
>   a workaround is to just copy from the old /usr/info to the new, but
>   ... what do I hafta do to ensure a new install has all the latest
>   info? (Also, I suspect a Reinstall option would cure this problem
>   also--correct?)

Well, because setup see's your old installation but doesn't (AFAIK) check
for difference in the target path. And there is a reinstall option, unless
you mean reinstall all (existing) packages?

Elfyn