* RE: md5sum of a CD
@ 2003-09-01 11:22 Hughes, Bill
From: Hughes, Bill @ 2003-09-01 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

>> From: Hughes, Bill Sent: 01 September 2003 11:20

>> >$ md5sum /dev/scdX
>> >with X in 0..15
>>
>> I don't have a /dev!
>> My CD is mounted
>> q: on /cdrom type system (binmode)
>> It all seems to work, should I be doing something different?
>>
>> It's actually a CDRW, I couldn't see in the archive or docs
>> if cd writing is
>> supported under cygwin, I did look.
>>
>From: Vince Hoffman Sent: 01 September 2003 11:37
>
>The /dev directory is a "virtual" directory, much like the /proc directory.
>if you do a ls /dev/scd0 you should get a result. Also see
>http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html

Duh! after 'mount -b //./q: /dev/scd0' all is rosy.
Thank you - I _have_ rtfm, but I expect my eyes glazed over as I probably
didn't understand it all at the time. It's one of those probably
insurmountable problems I suppose (not thick users) - how to cross reference
a document under any reasonable heading that could be looked for? I may be
making excuses (but _not_ complaining) but "Special Filenames/Posix
Devices/" wasn't the first place I thought to look for access to cdrom -
this is likely because I've spent too much time on windows and not enough on
unix/linux. I do really like cygwin as I would have a much harder time
without it.

This e-mail transmission is strictly confidential and intended solely
for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may contain
privileged and confidential information and if you are not the intended
recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance
on it. If you have received this email in error, please reply to the
sender as soon as possible and delete the message. Please note that we
are able to, and reserve the right to, monitor e-mail communications
passing through our network.

The views expressed in this email are not that of the company unless
specified within the message.

The inclusion of this footnote indicates that the mail message and any
attachments have been checked for the presence of known viruses.

If you have any comments regarding our policy please direct them to
postmaster@cox.co.uk

* Re: md5sum of a CD
@ 2003-09-01 12:13 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2003-09-01 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 12:22:30PM +0100, Hughes, Bill wrote:
> >From: Vince Hoffman Sent: 01 September 2003 11:37
> > Also see
> >http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html
> >
> Duh! after 'mount -b //./q: /dev/scd0' all is rosy.

Don't do this.  Read the above document again, carefully.  Using mount
is unnecessary.  It was only necessary until Cygwin 1.3.3.   Please
read again, beginning with the paragraph starting with

  "Since Cygwin 1.3.4 raw devices are accessible from inside of Cygwin
   processes using fixed POSIX device names. [...]"

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* RE: md5sum of a CD
@ 2003-09-01 18:15     ` Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail)
From: Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) @ 2003-09-01 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf
> Of Corinna Vinschen

> On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 05:41:06PM +0200, Hannu E K Nevalainen
> (garbage mail) wrote:

> > >   $ md5sum /dev/cdrom
> >
> >  This won't work on cygwin (nor in Windows AFAIK).
> > [...]
> > Igor, CGF, ...? Please verify, is this correctly understood/described?
>
> Corinna perhaps?

 =-)

>  Hint: Reading the whole thread before replying is
> useful sometimes.
>
> Corinna

 I do exactly that - all the time. I was slow on replying though - I got the
other responses while sending mine.

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE Microcomputer systems - 59?16.37'N,
17?12.60'E
--END OF MESSAGE--

* RE: md5sum of a CD
@ 2003-09-01 16:04 ` Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail)
From: Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) @ 2003-09-01 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ouch! 8-7

 As I understand this a very longstanding change (from cygwin 1.3.4)...
I have a clear(!?) recollection of reading about this *NOT* beeing possible.

***  Sorry for the high confusion factor!  ***

@ 2003-09-01 15:56   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2003-09-01 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2003-09-01 15:42 ` Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail)
From: Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) @ 2003-09-01 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf
> Of romildo@uber.com.br

> How can one find the md5sum of a CD
> in Windows?
>
> In Linux, one can do
>
>   $ md5sum /dev/cdrom

 This won't work on cygwin (nor in Windows AFAIK).
Cygwin is an emulated environment, which depends entirely (exception;
managed mode fs) on Windows for its filesystem; thus no possible way to do
this.

Unless you're knowledgable enough yourself to implement it within the Cygwin
filesystem _emulation_.

@ 2003-09-01 14:47 Hughes, Bill
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2003-09-01 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 02:12:32PM +0100, Hughes, Bill wrote:
> to something like:
> "Windows NT/W2K/XP additionally support raw devices like floppies, disks,
> partitions and tapes. These are accessed from Cygwin applications using
> POSIX device names."
>
> The next para starts "Beginning with Cygwin 1.3.4" so it's apparent that
> it's a change from previous behaviour.

Uhm, the next para starts with "Up to Cygwin 1.3.3 ...".  Actually I
didn't want to remove the pointer to some old method involving mount
points since there might be still people out there using this technique.
They should know that they should do something as a switch over, therefore
words as "discouraged".

> I hope the feedback is useful, even if you don't agree with the suggestion.
> Thanks again.

Yes, it was helpful.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* RE: md5sum of a CD
@ 2003-09-01 13:12 Hughes, Bill
>I've changed the description how to access raw devices.  The way how to
>mount these devices is entirely gone.  Please read it again and report
>back, if the description of raw devices is a bit clearer now.

Definitely better, but why not change:
"Windows NT/W2K/XP additionally support raw devices like floppies, disks,
partitions and tapes. These are accessed from Cygwin applications using
POSIX device names which are supported in two different ways.

Up to Cygwin 1.3.3 the only way to access those devices was to mount the
Win32 device names to a POSIX device name but this usage is discouraged
since Cygwin 1.3.4 and only kept for backward compatibility."

to something like:
"Windows NT/W2K/XP additionally support raw devices like floppies, disks,
partitions and tapes. These are accessed from Cygwin applications using
POSIX device names."

The next para starts "Beginning with Cygwin 1.3.4" so it's apparent that
it's a change from previous behaviour.

You could even go for :
"Windows NT/W2K/XP additionally support raw devices like floppies, disks,
partitions and tapes. These are accessed from Cygwin applications using
POSIX device names, beginning with Cygwin 1.3.4 these raw devices are
accessible ...."

@ 2003-09-01 12:57 ` Corinna Vinschen

@ 2003-09-01 12:36 Hughes, Bill

@ 2003-09-01 10:37 Vince Hoffman
From: Vince Hoffman @ 2003-09-01 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Hughes, Bill', 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

The /dev directory is a "virtual" directory, much like the /proc directory.
if you do a ls /dev/scd0 you should get a result. Also see
http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html

* RE: md5sum of a CD
@ 2003-09-01 10:20 Hughes, Bill
From: Hughes, Bill @ 2003-09-01 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)