* suggestion for postgresql doc
@ 2003-08-29 21:44 Markus Hoenicka
From: Markus Hoenicka @ 2003-08-29 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I just went through the installation of PostgreSQL as a service on a
WinXP box. I had to fix a couple of permission settings in order to
get postmaster up and running. The documentation talks about this
issue, but it fails to mention that the permissions of /var/log need
to be fixed as well, besides /tmp and /usr/bin. I'd suggest to add
this to the otherwise excellent doc.

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka
markus.hoenicka@cats.de

* Re: suggestion for postgresql doc
@ 2003-09-02 13:04 ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2003-09-02 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Markus,

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 10:48:38PM +0200, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
> I just went through the installation of PostgreSQL as a service on a
> WinXP box. I had to fix a couple of permission settings in order to
> get postmaster up and running. The documentation talks about this
> issue, but it fails to mention that the permissions of /var/log need
> to be fixed as well, besides /tmp and /usr/bin. I'd suggest to add
> this to the otherwise excellent doc.

What did you set the /var/log permissions to?  Do the /tmp and /usr/bin
comments above refer to Issue #2 and #4 in the following?

    http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.3.4.README

Thanks,
Jason

* Re: suggestion for postgresql doc
@ 2003-09-02 20:38   ` Markus Hoenicka
From: Markus Hoenicka @ 2003-09-02 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Jason,

Jason Tishler writes:
 > What did you set the /var/log permissions to?  Do the /tmp and /usr/bin
 > comments above refer to Issue #2 and #4 in the following?
 >
 >     http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.3.4.README

I think I've used chmod a+rw (there might be a more secure way to deal
with this issue, though). I'm on vacation and my Cygwin setup is
at work so I have to apologize that I can't check right now. The
original permissions were from a fresh Cygwin installation that I
did in the last week of August. When using the original permissions,
postmaster refused to start with no trace of a log file which appears
a bit obscure to the unsuspecting user.

The /tmp and /usr/bin permission comments indeed refer to issue #4 in
your documentation. I had to change these as suggested, otherwise
initdb would return an error.

Hope this helps

Markus

--

@ 2003-09-04 13:11     ` Jason Tishler
From: Jason Tishler @ 2003-09-04 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Markus,

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 10:34:42PM +0200, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
> Jason Tishler writes:
> > What did you set the /var/log permissions to?  Do the /tmp and
> > /usr/bin comments above refer to Issue #2 and #4 in the following?
> >
> >     http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.3.4.README
> >

> I think I've used chmod a+rw (there might be a more secure way to deal
> with this issue, though). I'm on vacation and my Cygwin setup is at
> work so I have to apologize that I can't check right now. The original
> permissions were from a fresh Cygwin installation that I did in the
> last week of August. When using the original permissions, postmaster
> refused to start with no trace of a log file which appears a bit
> obscure to the unsuspecting user.

Agreed.  However, there should be an entry in the Event Log.
Nevertheless, I will update my README.

> Hope this helps

It does.

Thanks,