* DDD 3.3.5 success
@ 2003-09-03  8:29 Ayamico Hamasaki
From: Ayamico Hamasaki @ 2003-09-03  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: jbuehler

Hi,

I have noticed that you have posted a note saying you
have installed DDD 3.35 on cygwin. I am interested to
know how do you do that.

I have problem compiling it under cygwin. It is
complaining it does not have X11

checking for XOpenDisplay in -lX11... no
configure: error: The X11 library '-lX11' could not be
found.
                  Please use the configure options
'--x-includes=DIR'
                  and '--x-libraries=DIR' to specify
the X location.
                  See the files 'config.log' and
'ddd/config.log'
                  for further diagnostics.
configure: error: ./configure failed for ddd

* Re: DDD 3.3.5 success
@ 2003-09-03 13:34 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-09-03 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 01:29:16AM -0700, Ayamico Hamasaki wrote:
>I have noticed that you have posted a note saying you
>have installed DDD 3.35 on cygwin. I am interested to
>know how do you do that.

The typical response to ddd problems is "Why not just use 'insight'?"
--
Please use the resources at cygwin.com rather than sending personal email.
Special for spam email harvesters: send email to aaaspam@sourceware.org

* Re: DDD 3.3.5 success
@ 2003-09-03 15:34   ` james
From: james @ 2003-09-03 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> The typical response to ddd problems is "Why not just use 'insight'?"
that's kind of like saying, "why not just use windows?" i think it's fairly
obvious that users would like to have the choice.

james

@ 2003-09-03 16:51     ` Frédéric L. W. Meunier
From: Frédéric L. W. Meunier @ 2003-09-03 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, james wrote:

> > The typical response to ddd problems is "Why not just use
> > 'insight'?"
> that's kind of like saying, "why not just use windows?" i
> think it's fairly obvious that users would like to have the
> choice.

Yes. And I suspect others would like to have the choice to only
install gdb, without insight, tcltk...

--
How to contact me - http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html

* Re: DDD 3.3.5 success
@ 2003-09-03 17:47     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-09-03 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 10:34:24AM -0500, james wrote:
>> The typical response to ddd problems is "Why not just use 'insight'?"
>that's kind of like saying, "why not just use windows?" i think it's fairly
>obvious that users would like to have the choice.

Most of the time when people ask this question they don't even
know that a graphical debugger comes with the gdb distribution.

* Re: DDD 3.3.5 success
@ 2003-09-03 17:48       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-09-03 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 01:50:42PM -0300, Fr?d?ric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, james wrote:
>>>The typical response to ddd problems is "Why not just use 'insight'?"
>>that's kind of like saying, "why not just use windows?" i think it's
>>fairly obvious that users would like to have the choice.
>
>Yes.  And I suspect others would like to have the choice to only
>install gdb, without insight, tcltk...

My heart bleeds for those others.  The indignity they have to endure
is truely heart wrenching.

* Re: DDD 3.3.5 success
@ 2003-09-03 17:55       ` chris
From: chris @ 2003-09-03 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 10:34:24AM -0500, james wrote:
>

>>>The typical response to ddd problems is "Why not just use 'insight'?"
>>>

>>that's kind of like saying, "why not just use windows?" i think it's fairly
>>obvious that users would like to have the choice.
>>

>Most of the time when people ask this question they don't even
>know that a graphical debugger comes with the gdb distribution.

Could I just add to this, I perfer ddd to insight by quite a lot, so
that is why I would like ddd in cygwin :)

* Re: DDD 3.3.5 success
@ 2003-09-03 18:08       ` james
From: james @ 2003-09-03 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

i acknowledge you're right. i didn't know it until you mentioned insight
when i asked about ddd. but ddd is not only a popular graphical
front-end debugger, it's become the debugger of choice for many people,
which is -- i daresay -- why the subject keeps coming up.

Christopher Faylor wrote:

>On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 10:34:24AM -0500, james wrote:
>

>>>The typical response to ddd problems is "Why not just use 'insight'?"
>>>

>>that's kind of like saying, "why not just use windows?" i think it's fairly
>>obvious that users would like to have the choice.
>>

>Most of the time when people ask this question they don't even
>know that a graphical debugger comes with the gdb distribution.
>
>--

* Re: DDD 3.3.5 success
@ 2003-09-03 18:24         ` Igor Pechtchanski
       [not found]           ` <3F56346F.1050508@biosci.utexas.edu>
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-09-03 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: james; +Cc: cygwin

One way to help all those people and minimize the number of such queries
is to contribute DDD as a Cygwin package and volunteer to maintain it, so
that it can be installed using Cygwin setup.  See the Package
Contributor's Guide at <http://cygwin.com/setup.html> for information on
how to become a package maintainer -- it's easier than most people
realize.
	Igor

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, james wrote:

> i acknowledge you're right. i didn't know it until you mentioned insight
> when i asked about ddd. but ddd is not only a popular graphical
> front-end debugger, it's become the debugger of choice for many people,
> which is -- i daresay -- why the subject keeps coming up.
>
> Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >>that's kind of like saying, "why not just use windows?" i think it's fairly
> >>obvious that users would like to have the choice.
> >
> >Most of the time when people ask this question they don't even
> >know that a graphical debugger comes with the gdb distribution.

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: DDD 3.3.5 success
       [not found]           ` <3F56346F.1050508@biosci.utexas.edu>
@ 2003-09-03 19:16             ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-09-03 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: james; +Cc: cygwin

James,

Please keep communication of this sort on the list unless specifically
asked for a private message, so others can find it in the archives.
Also, please make sure your mailer honors the Reply-To:  field.

What I meant was that if (when) you figure out how to compile DDD, the
next logical step would be to package it for Cygwin to save others this
trouble.  We all started this way.
	Igor

@ 2003-09-04  8:33           ` Ronald Landheer-Cieslak
From: Ronald Landheer-Cieslak @ 2003-09-04  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 02:24:00PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> One way to help all those people and minimize the number of such queries
> is to contribute DDD as a Cygwin package and volunteer to maintain it, so
> that it can be installed using Cygwin setup.  See the Package
> Contributor's Guide at <http://cygwin.com/setup.html> for information on
> how to become a package maintainer -- it's easier than most people
> realize.
In deed it is, but don't forget cgf has a veto right: if he doesn't want ddd
as a Cygwin package, it will never be a Cygwin package (unless he changes his
mind). A little like the curses interface of gdb: I offered to maintain cgdb
(the offer still stands, by the way) but cgf vetoed in favour of gdb's own
tui - which is currently not available..
Personally, I prefer cgdb anyway, so I keep my own copy around. (Again, if cgf
would reconsider his vetoe, the offer of maintaining cgdb still stands).

Personally, I'm not that interested in ddd, but next time, before going through
packaging, I will ask on the -apps list whether the package will be vetoed..
just to make sure I don't package for nothing. (No hard feelings, though :)

rlc

> On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, james wrote:
>
> > i acknowledge you're right. i didn't know it until you mentioned insight
> > when i asked about ddd. but ddd is not only a popular graphical
> > front-end debugger, it's become the debugger of choice for many people,
> > which is -- i daresay -- why the subject keeps coming up.
> >
> > Christopher Faylor wrote:

> > >Most of the time when people ask this question they don't even
> > >know that a graphical debugger comes with the gdb distribution.
>
> --
> 				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
>       |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
> ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_		igor@watson.ibm.com
>      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'		Igor Pechtchanski, Ph.D.
>     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL	a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!
>
> "I have since come to realize that being between your mentor and his route
> to the bathroom is a major career booster."  -- Patrick Naughton
>
> --

Robot, n.:
	University administrator.

* Re: DDD 3.3.5 success
@ 2003-09-04 13:29             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-09-04 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 10:59:06AM +0200, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
>Personally, I'm not that interested in ddd, but next time, before going
>through packaging, I will ask on the -apps list whether the package
>will be vetoed..  just to make sure I don't package for nothing.  (No
>hard feelings, though :)

In other words, you intend to follow the proper procedure.  Always a
good thing whether you're talking about cygwin or not.

cgf

* Re: DDD 3.3.5 success
@ 2003-09-04 14:17               ` Ronald Landheer-Cieslak
From: Ronald Landheer-Cieslak @ 2003-09-04 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 09:29:10AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 10:59:06AM +0200, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
> >Personally, I'm not that interested in ddd, but next time, before going
> >through packaging, I will ask on the -apps list whether the package
> >will be vetoed..  just to make sure I don't package for nothing.  (No
> >hard feelings, though :)
> In other words, you intend to follow the proper procedure.  Always a
> good thing whether you're talking about cygwin or not.
Ehm.. http://cygwin.com/setup.html starts its "Submitting a package" section
with: "So you've got a package you want to submit."
(OK, so the first point after that is "Propose on cygwin-apps@cygwin.com that
you are interested in becoming a package maintainer for package foo." ...)

Anyways, I don't see anything improper about "I've got this package ready, if
you want it" - but that must just be me.. :)

rlc

--
We only support a 28000 bps connection.

* Re: DDD 3.3.5 success
@ 2003-09-04 14:34                 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-09-04 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 04:43:48PM +0200, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 09:29:10AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 10:59:06AM +0200, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
>>>Personally, I'm not that interested in ddd, but next time, before going
>>>through packaging, I will ask on the -apps list whether the package
>>>will be vetoed..  just to make sure I don't package for nothing.  (No
>>>hard feelings, though :)
>>In other words, you intend to follow the proper procedure.  Always a
>>good thing whether you're talking about cygwin or not.
>
>Ehm..  http://cygwin.com/setup.html starts its "Submitting a package"
>section with: "So you've got a package you want to submit." (OK, so the
>first point after that is "Propose on cygwin-apps@cygwin.com that you
>are interested in becoming a package maintainer for package foo." ...)

i.e., it does not say that you should build the package first.  It says
that you should propose becoming a package maintainer.  It makes sense
to ask first because, my veto not withstanding, there is no guarantee
that you will get enough votes for the package to be included in the
cygwin distribution.  It's not a rubber stamp.

       [not found] <m3r82yozz6.fsf@flognat.dyndns.org>
@ 2003-09-04  1:14 ` Ayamico Hamasaki
From: Ayamico Hamasaki @ 2003-09-04  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: andrew.markebo

Thank you andrew,

I found out that the xfree86-prog package need to be
installed. The default XFree86 does not install those
things.

The reason for me to use DDD is because I am trying to
use the gdb for palmos.

Of course insight will be good for C program
debugging. But there are needs to run other debugger
like jdb, perl debugger and so on.

Ayamico.

--- Andrew Markebo <andrew.markebo@comhem.se> wrote:
> Have you installed the XFree86 devel and libs
> packages?
>
>      /Andy
>
> / Ayamico Hamasaki <ayamico@yahoo.com> wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | I have noticed that you have posted a note saying
> you
> | have installed DDD 3.35 on cygwin. I am interested
> | know how do you do that.
> |
> | I have problem compiling it under cygwin. It is
> | complaining it does not have X11
> |
> | checking for XOpenDisplay in -lX11... no
> | configure: error: The X11 library '-lX11' could
> not be
> | found.
> |                   Please use the configure options
> | '--x-includes=DIR'
> |                   and '--x-libraries=DIR' to
> specify
> | the X location.
> |                   See the files 'config.log' and
> | 'ddd/config.log'
> |                   for further diagnostics.
> | configure: error: ./configure failed for ddd

> | Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site
> design software
> | http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
> |

> --
>  Feet up, heads down - keyboard still in the middle

* DDD 3.3.5 success
@ 2003-04-28 19:32 Joe Buehler
From: Joe Buehler @ 2003-04-28 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

FYI, For those of you who might be looking for an X11 graphical
debugger: I just installed DDD 3.3.5 under Cygwin just by following
the instructions -- no patches needed.

It's a front-end for gdb, perl, and various other languages/debuggers,
if you are not familiar with it.
--
Joe Buehler