* how to mount linux partition under cygwin
@ 2003-09-06 15:13 Magic Fang
From: Magic Fang @ 2003-09-06 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

hello, if i can mount linux partition under cygwin use mount command?
thanks a lot.

Magic Fang

* Re: how to mount linux partition under cygwin
@ 2003-09-06 15:36 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-09-06 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: fangl

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 11:15:54PM +0800, Magic Fang wrote:
>hello, if i can mount linux partition under cygwin use mount command?
>thanks a lot.

No.

* Re: how to mount linux partition under cygwin
@ 2003-09-06 15:36 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-09-06 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Magic Fang; +Cc: cygwin

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003, Magic Fang wrote:

> hello, if i can mount linux partition under cygwin use mount command?
> thanks a lot.
>
> Magic Fang

"How can I use X to do Y?" -- a classic example of a "Question not to ask"
from <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>.

The cygwin mount command is not the same as Unix's mount command.
Cygwin's mount sets up a mapping between *Windows* paths and POSIX paths,
rather than actually providing filesystem access (the exceptions are
Cygwin's virtual filesystems, such as /cygdrive, /proc, /dev, etc).  You
have to find a Windows way of mounting a Linux partition (e.g., using
Samba instead of an NFS mount), and then use Cygwin's mount to associate
the Windows path (e.g., \\samba\linux_part) with the POSIX mount point
(e.g., /mnt/linux).  For information on mounting Linux partitions under
Windows search Google for something like "mount linux partition windows",
or query a Windows forum.

Hope this helps,
	Igor
--