* Problems with accented characters in Cygwin
@ 2003-09-10 22:10 Lukasz Kosewski
From: Lukasz Kosewski @ 2003-09-10 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello all,

This subject seems misleadingly to have been flogged
to death, when in fact, I have found nothing which can
help me.

I am trying to get accented characters, or special
characters in general really, to display in my initial
Cygwin bash shell window.  I'm not even going to
attempt things in X for now.  Just simply attempting
to get them to work in Bash is too much of a pain.

I have added the lines:
set mega-flag on
set convert-meta off
set output-meta on
to my ~/.inputrc

The characters DISPLAY fine, when I am doing ls on a
folder with accents and umlauts, everything displays
fine.  With tab completion, I can complete the
accented names.  But I cannot TYPE them.  No matter
what key combinations I try, I cannot find any way to
TYPE the special characters at the prompt.  I cannot
paste characters from notepad/mozilla into the window
either, nothing happens when I try.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I am using Windows
2000 with Cygwin overtop of it.

Luke Kosewski

* Re: Problems with accented characters in Cygwin
@ 2003-09-11  5:56 ` Frédéric L. W. Meunier
From: Frédéric L. W. Meunier @ 2003-09-11  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukasz Kosewski; +Cc: cygwin

I suggest you use rxvt since the Cygwin "terminal" appers to be
broken for that. I don't know if it ever worked, but it never
did since I started with 1.3.10. I now use 1.5.3. I reported
it. See

and follow

, mainly Igor's replies:

--
How to contact me - http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html

* Re: Problems with accented characters in Cygwin
@ 2003-09-11 14:47   ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-09-11 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Since this referred to my replies, I should mention that newer versions of
Cygwin should allow pasting accented characters (sans the accents) to
console windows.
	Igor

				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu