* RE: Diff information
@ 2003-09-11 14:54 ` guenter strubinsky
From: guenter strubinsky @ 2003-09-11 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Most if not all text files in cygwin and Linux/Unix are -not surprisingly-
in the unix/linux text format which means that as opposed to windooze a line
is terminated with a single LF, apple uses a single CR and win uses CR/LF.
Notepad does not understand the unix format and shows all text on one line.

Use vim aka vi or wordpad or one of the excellent open source programmers-
editors like JEdit ( sourceforge.net/projects/jedit/ ) and you will be able
to decipher the textiles.

guenter

* Re: Diff information
@ 2003-09-11 15:55 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-09-11 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 04:50:26AM +0000, Editor of PoliSource wrote:
>I was looking for instructions on how to use the diff tools that come with
>cygwin, but all I could find is a short description of diffutils during
>setup, and a "ldesc" in the file setup.ini, but setup.ini opened in
>Notepad, which doesn't seem like the correct program for easy reading of
>that file. Could someone tell me how to properly view the data, including
>the long descriptions, in setup.ini, or point me to a tutorial on using the
>diff tools in cygwin?

man diff
--
Please use the resources at cygwin.com rather than sending personal email.
Special for spam email harvesters: send email to aaaspam@sourceware.org

* Diff information
@ 2003-09-11 15:55 Editor of PoliSource
From: Editor of PoliSource @ 2003-09-11 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2003-09-11 20:22 Editor of PoliSource
From: Editor of PoliSource @ 2003-09-11 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>Or, you could just install it.  setup.exe does not install everything by
>default.

The list of programs that I got during my update yesterday was too long to
read through, and there was nothing under man. Just now, I tried the "Search
Package List" tool and searched for "man", which returned 511 results, but
searching for "man pages" returned cygwin-doc at the top of the list.
Installing with the "Bi..." box checked didn't work, but then I tried with
"Bi..." and "Sr..." checked, and it worked.

Thanks,
Barry

* Re: Diff information
@ 2003-09-11 19:20 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-09-11 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 06:55:55PM +0000, Editor of PoliSource wrote:
>>General help in bash, for installed (cygwin/Linux/GNU) commands:
>>
>>$ help <bash-internal command>
>>$ info <installed command>
>>$ man <installed command>
>
>Help and info work, but man still doesn't. I guess I don't need it though.

Or, you could just install it.  setup.exe does not install everything by default.

cgf

* RE: Diff information
@ 2003-09-11 18:55 Editor of PoliSource
From: Editor of PoliSource @ 2003-09-11 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: garbage_collector, cygwin

@ 2003-09-11 15:50 Editor of PoliSource
From: Editor of PoliSource @ 2003-09-11 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Could someone tell me how to properly view the data, including
> >the long descriptions, in setup.ini, or point me to a tutorial on using
>the
> >diff tools in cygwin?
>
>man diff

Thanks. I think I used that a long time ago, but I rarely use the command
line so I forgot. Unfortunately, it doesn't work at my command line for some
reason, but I found other sources for the manpages by searching Google. I
also stumbled across information on the help command (diff --help), which
does work at my command line.

* RE: Diff information
@ 2003-09-11 14:54 ` Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail)
From: Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) @ 2003-09-11 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> From: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com [mailto:cygwin-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf
> Of Editor of PoliSource

<SNIP>
> >man diff
>
> Thanks. I think I used that a long time ago, but I rarely use the command
> line so I forgot. Unfortunately, it doesn't work at my command
> line for some
> reason, but I found other sources for the manpages by searching Google. I
> also stumbled across information on the help command (diff --help), which
> does work at my command line.

General help in bash, for installed (cygwin/Linux/GNU) commands:

$ help <bash-internal command>
$ info <installed command>
$ man <installed command>

Replace <mumble-mumble> with anything that is suitable. Google for "beginner
+bash +prompt" or some such for more info.

/Hannu E K Nevalainen, B.Sc. EE - 59°16.37'N, 17°12.60'E

   !     Sweden's Minister for Foreign Affairs
 --+--   Anna Lindh, 1957 - Sep 11, 2003 at 05:49
   !
   !     Stabbed at a shopping center in Stockholm,
   !     in the evening of Sep 10, 2003

 -> http://svt.se - Swedish public service TV

--END OF MESSAGE--