* Cygwin on external drive?
@ 2003-09-11 14:16 Zeilhofer, Peter
From: Zeilhofer, Peter @ 2003-09-11 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Servus to all,
I moved a complete perfectly working Cygwin-configuration with Apache and SSL from C:\cygwin to F.\cygwin an external 40GB disk drive (connected via USB) and tried to get it running, but it will not work. I must say that I have expected problems. Should this be possible after a straight installation on an external drive from the beginning?
I think I found a hint in some faq that installation on C:\cygwin is not mandatory.
Thanks in advance :-)
with greetings from germany

Peter Zeilhofer
EP LP COM 5
Fujitsu Siemens Computers
Mch-P, 46-732

Tel:   (089) 636-47520
Fax:  (089) 636-47655
Mail:  Peter.Zeilhofer@fujitsu-siemens.com

* Re: Cygwin on external drive?
@ 2003-09-11 14:54 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2003-09-11 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 11:32:06AM +0200, Zeilhofer, Peter wrote:
> Servus to all,
> I moved a complete perfectly working Cygwin-configuration with Apache and SSL from C:\cygwin to F.\cygwin an external 40GB disk drive (connected via USB) and tried to get it running, but it will not work. I must say that I have expected problems. Should this be possible after a straight installation on an external drive from the beginning?

You must change your mount points to use the new Windows paths instead of
the old ones.  Use mount and umount.  Perhaps you have to cd into the
new bin directory first and call ./mount instead of just mount.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Cygwin on external drive?
@ 2003-09-13  9:29 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2003-09-13  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zeilhofer, Peter; +Cc: cygwin

Hallo Peter,

Am Donnerstag, 11. September 2003 um 11:32 schriebst du:

> I moved a complete perfectly working Cygwin-configuration with
> Apache and SSL from C:\cygwin to F.\cygwin an external 40GB disk
> drive (connected via USB) and tried to get it running, but it will
> not work. I must say that I have expected problems. Should this be
> possible after a straight installation on an external drive from the
> beginning?
> I think I found a hint in some faq that installation on C:\cygwin is
> not mandatory.
> Thanks in advance :-)

Works well for me with the correct mounts.  But using services which
are running under 'Local System' account doesn't work because Windows
'mounts' (Shared Drives/Folders) are only visible to the user but not
to the system.

Servus,
Gerrit
--