* win2k "resource" exhaustion problem - no Cygwin programs will run
@ 2003-09-12 16:43 james pentland
From: james pentland @ 2003-09-12 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

i ran my script again after killing all my other user
processes - firewall, virus watcher, pgp and other.

the problem persists.

it does, however, appear to be memory related.
as the script runs, physical memory usage climbs
slowly to 225248k (out of 261424k), at which point the
script dies.

i show some system statistics below.

From: Luc Hermitte <hermitte@free.fr>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 00:57:14 +0200
Subject: Re: win2k "resource" exhaustion problem - no
Cygwin programs will run

>Hello,

>It looks like a problem several people are
experimenting.
>Lately, someone exposed a link between this problem
and Agnitum Outpost
>(a firewall) that seems to forget to free some
resources. This sounds
>plausible, from my point of view, as I also have
Outpost and I'm
>experimenting this problem.

>[BTW, Rampage was evoked as a possible workaround,
but it had no
>positive effect on my system.]

>HTH,
>Luc Hermitte

[[--]] TRANSCRIPT OF CONSOLE SESSION - NO OTHER USER
PROCESSES RUNNING
Administrator@ZOK /ntd/new
$ ./yawfu-sh
COUNT=1
COUNT=2
[...]
COUNT=2536
COUNT=2537
COUNT=2538
COUNT=2539
COUNT=2540
./yawfu-sh.txt: line 7: /usr/bin/cat: Permission
denied
COUNT=2541
./yawfu-sh.txt: line 7: /usr/bin/cat: Permission
denied
COUNT=2542
./yawfu-sh.txt: line 7: /usr/bin/cat: Permission
denied
COUNT=2543
./yawfu-sh.txt: fork: Permission denied
./yawfu-sh.txt: line 7: /usr/bin/cat: Permission
denied

Administrator@ZOK /ntd/new
$

Administrator@ZOK /ntd/new
$ ./yawfu-sh.txt
bash: ./yawfu-sh.txt: /bin/bash: bad interpreter:
Permission denied

Administrator@ZOK /ntd/new
$ ps
bash: /usr/bin/ps: Permission denied

[[--]] WINDOWS TASK MANAGER STATISTICS AT TERMINATION
OF SCRIPT
Physical Memory (K)
Total  261424
Available  73912
System Cache  107848

Processes: 24
Mem Usage: 225248K / 633156K

Handles:  3155
Threads  214
Processes  24

Kernel Memory (K)
Total  55052
Paged  27352
Nonpaged  27700

* Re: win2k "resource" exhaustion problem - no cygwin programs will run
@ 2003-09-12 17:57 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-09-12 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 09:42:54AM -0700, james pentland wrote:
>i ran my script again after killing all my other user processes -
>firewall, virus watcher, pgp and other.
>
>the problem persists.
>
>it does, however, appear to be memory related.  as the script runs,
>physical memory usage climbs slowly to 225248k (out of 261424k), at
>which point the script dies.
>
>i show some system statistics below.

Oh well.  We can't fix what we can't duplicate.

cgf

* Re: win2k "resource" exhaustion problem - no Cygwin programs will run
@ 2003-09-12 22:57 ` Rolf Campbell
From: Rolf Campbell @ 2003-09-12 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Why not try uninstalling the firewall/virus scanner, restart your
computer, and try this again.

@ 2003-09-11 23:04 ` Luc Hermitte
From: Luc Hermitte @ 2003-09-11 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

--
Luc Hermitte

* win2k "resource" exhaustion problem - no Cygwin programs will run
@ 2003-09-11 20:41 james pentland
From: james pentland @ 2003-09-11 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

dear Cygwin developers:

i have a bash script which apparently causes an
exhaustion of system resources.
which "resources" i am unclear about - it does not
seem to be memory.

the consequences of running it, at a minimum, are that

1) the script fails at some point,
2) no further Cygwin executables will run,
3) dialout to an internet service provider fails,
4) a number of non-Cygwin executables do not operate
properly.

below is a simple script which will make the problem
happen and a partial transcript of a Cygwin console
session where it is invoked.

do you have any ideas on this issue?

[[--]] TRANSCRIPT OF CONSOLE SESSION
Administrator@ZOK /ntd/new
$ cat yawfu-sh
#!/bin/bash

let nn=1
ls -ltR /nt0/WINNT > /tmp/WINNT-lsR

while : ; do
  cat /tmp/WINNT-lsR | sed -n -e "/.*/p" > /tmp/p1
  echo COUNT=$nn
  ((nn=$nn+1))
done

Administrator@ZOK /ntd/new
$ cygcheck -s:
Cygwin Win95/NT Configuration Diagnostics
[...]
Windows 2000 Professional Ver 5.0 Build 2195
[...]
    Cygwin DLL version info:
        DLL version: 1.3.18
[...]

Administrator@ZOK /ntd/new
$ ./yawfu-sh
COUNT=1
COUNT=2
COUNT=3
[...]
COUNT=1640
COUNT=1641
COUNT=1642
COUNT=1643
./yawfu-sh: line 7: /usr/bin/sed: Permission denied
./yawfu-sh: line 7: /usr/bin/cat: Permission denied
COUNT=1644
./yawfu-sh: line 7: /usr/bin/cat: Permission denied
COUNT=1645
./yawfu-sh: line 7: /usr/bin/cat: Permission denied
COUNT=1646
./yawfu-sh: line 7: /usr/bin/cat: Permission denied
      5 [main] bash 16184 sync_with_child: child
42548(0x118) died before initia
lization with status code 0x80
    309 [main] bash 16184 sync_with_child: *** child
state waiting for longjmp
./yawfu-sh: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

Administrator@ZOK /ntd/new
$ ls /tmp
bash: /usr/bin/ls: Permission denied

[[--]] RESULT OF SUBSEQUENT ATTEMPT TO RUN CYGWIN
SHELL
[ shell window appears, then disappears immediately]

[[--]] RESULT OF LATER ATTEMPT TO RUN CYGWIN SHELL
bash: fork: Permission denied
bash-2.05b$
bash-2.05b$
bash-2.05b$ ls
bash: /usr/bin/ls: Permission denied
bash-2.05b$

[[--]] RESULT OF SUBSEQUENT ATTEMPT TO DIAL TO
INTERNET PROVIDER
WARNING POPUP:
Error connecting to usernet
Checking network protocol connections ,,,

TCP/IP CP reported error 1453: insufficient quota to
complete the requested service

[[--]] RESULT OF SUBSEQUENT ATTEMPT TO RUN notepad.exe
[notepad runs, but can not open a file, reports
"insufficient resources"]