* Re: feature requests for setup
@ 2003-09-24  6:02 peter garrone
From: peter garrone @ 2003-09-24  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

----- Original Message -----
From: Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 23:56:04 -0400 (EDT)
To: peter garrone <pgarrone@linuxmail.org>
Subject: Re: feature requests for setup

> > - Have setup check with the mirror to see if the setup program itself
> >    has been upgraded. For people who dont read announcements.
>
> It already does that.
>
> > - If installing from the local directory, possibly only do the MD5
> >   checksum for packages that are actually going to be installed,
> >   because it now checks every package whenever it starts. Or
> >   at least after an install cycle is complete, allow an option to go back,
> >   so the recheck can skipped, or even both these ideas.
>
> <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC>.  Also see below.
>
> > - That "packages" directory default. Sometimes setup drops "packages"
> >   from its default, allowing very wierd directory hierarchies indeed,
> >   if downloading from somewhere. From bitter experience, I always make
> >   sure this particular field ends in "packages".
>
> I don't get this one at all.  What are you trying to say?

Hi, i had a bad day yesterday, today I see the little scroll bars
between Bin and Src, also the "back" key at the point it asks for the desktop icon.
Also I think my packages confusion was from the older setup, because the newer one
doesnt do it now.

I apologise to the mailing list for most of the points in my post, which are erroneous.

What wasnt happenning though, was that I had setup version 2.249.2.10 installed locally,
when I went "download from internet", at the ftp://mirror.aarnet.edu.au site,
it would install cygwin-1.3.22-1.tar.bz2, which had an old cygwin dll, and not
cygwin-1.5.5-1.tar.bz2, which had the new one. The old one would fail with most of
the utilities such as ls.exe, with a "__getreent" failure.
When I downloaded setup version 2.340.2.5, it
found and downloaded the package with the newer dll, as well as others. I think.

In my local cache of packages, I had been using experimental packages,
as well as a locally compiled and patched snapshot, so this could have something to do with it.

* Re: feature requests for setup
@ 2003-09-24  5:33 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-09-24  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: peter garrone; +Cc: cygwin

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, peter garrone wrote:

> Hi, I thought I would note some desirable features in setup
> that would save dickheads such as myself much time.
>
> - Have setup check with the mirror to see if the setup program itself
>    has been upgraded. For people who dont read announcements.

It already does that.

> - If installing from the local directory, possibly only do the MD5
>   checksum for packages that are actually going to be installed,
>   because it now checks every package whenever it starts. Or
>   at least after an install cycle is complete, allow an option to go back,
>   so the recheck can skipped, or even both these ideas.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC>.  Also see below.

> - That "packages" directory default. Sometimes setup drops "packages"
>   from its default, allowing very wierd directory hierarchies indeed,
>   if downloading from somewhere. From bitter experience, I always make
>   sure this particular field ends in "packages".

I don't get this one at all.  What are you trying to say?

> - Have some of those little popup messages on the title, i.e. b -> binary,
>   s->source, after an interval the only b and s I can think of is
>   bachelors and spinsters. resizeable window perhaps.

You can't resize the window, but you *can* widen individual columns so
more of the title shows.  A resizeable chooser is in development.

> Dont get me wrong, my admiration for setup is boundless, mainly because
> it is the only thing that can punch through our corporate firewall, besides
> internet explorer. Be great to have source for it, or at least a cvs grab
> utility based on it.

<http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin-apps/setup.html> tells you where to get
the sources.  Happy developing.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: feature requests for setup
@ 2003-09-24  3:56 ` Rolf Campbell
From: Rolf Campbell @ 2003-09-24  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

peter garrone wrote:
> - Have setup check with the mirror to see if the setup program itself
>    has been upgraded. For people who dont read announcements.
It does.  After it's been 'officially' released.

* feature requests for setup
@ 2003-09-24  2:32 peter garrone