* Cygwin on Windows Me on Athlon64
@ 2003-09-26 23:21 Koide
From: Koide @ 2003-09-26 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Now I am using cygwin on Windows Me on AthlonXP .

 I will have Athlon64 system shortly . Then I want to use cygwin
on Athlon64 . The executable files of programs comliled on Athlon64
should be much faster than those are compiled on AthlonXP .

 Then now I am wondering if ;
1 . Can cygwin be installed correctly on Windows Me on Athlon64 .
    (Just the same as using the install wizard .)
2 . To compile the program , gcc is certainly needed .
    To compile the program of 64bit , is it sufficient to install
    gcc using the install wizard and type "gcc ______.c" ?

* Re: Cygwin on Windows Me on Athlon64
@ 2003-09-26 23:25 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2003-09-26 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Koide wrote:

> Now I am using cygwin on Windows Me on AthlonXP .
>
>  I will have Athlon64 system shortly . Then I want to use cygwin
> on Athlon64 . The executable files of programs comliled on Athlon64
> should be much faster than those are compiled on AthlonXP .
>
>  Then now I am wondering if ;
> 1 . Can cygwin be installed correctly on Windows Me on Athlon64 .
>     (Just the same as using the install wizard .)
> 2 . To compile the program , gcc is certainly needed .
>     To compile the program of 64bit , is it sufficient to install
>     gcc using the install wizard and type "gcc ______.c" ?

I would be very surpised if Windows ME supported any kind of 64 bit
extensions.  You most likely will need to wait for the 64 bit version of
Windows XP to be released to take full advantage.  However, the Athlon
64 will be much faster simply because it is highly optimized for 32 bit
stuff, that's the whole point.  You can have your cake and eat it too:
old stuff runs fast, and when support eventually makes it into the OS,
compiler, and software, then you get an additional increase.

Brian

* Re: Cygwin on Windows Me on Athlon64
@ 2003-09-27 14:33 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2003-09-27 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koide, cygwin

On Friday 26 September 2003 16:19, Koide wrote:
> Now I am using cygwin on Windows Me on AthlonXP .
>
>  I will have Athlon64 system shortly . Then I want to use cygwin
> on Athlon64 . The executable files of programs comliled on Athlon64
> should be much faster than those are compiled on AthlonXP .
>
>  Then now I am wondering if ;
> 1 . Can cygwin be installed correctly on Windows Me on Athlon64 .
>     (Just the same as using the install wizard .)
You don't even know yet how ME will play on that box.  If it does,  cygwin
may work.
> 2 . To compile the program , gcc is certainly needed .
>     To compile the program of 64bit , is it sufficient to install
>     gcc using the install wizard and type "gcc ______.c" ?
Cygwin has no 64-bit support, ME has no 64-bit support.  You could build a
cross compiler targeting your hardware, but it would be up to you to make it
work.  First, you probably want to try out 32-bit software built with the
standard cygwin port of gcc, using the various architecture options, like
-march=athlon, -march=pentium4 -mfpmath=sse

--
Tim Prince