* Re: does syslog works only for SYSTEM account on w2k?
@ 2003-09-29 12:24 Scott Bolte
From: Scott Bolte @ 2003-09-29 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> > It seems like cygwin syslog on w2k, both the logger command the
> > syslog(3) routine, works only for the SYSTEM account. Is that true?
>
> No.  Perhaps the users privileges don't allow that?  Members of the
> group "Users" (or the native analogon) have the appropriate permissions
> by default.

	I expect my test user has sufficient privileges.  It is
	in groups None, Administrators, Power Users, and User.

	I guess I'll try to learn more about the internals of w2k,
	more then I ever wanted to know, starting with ReportEventA().

	Unfortunately my configure of cygwin-1.5.5-1 died looking
	for an errant install-sh. In case my w2k environment is
	insufficient to build cygwin from scratch, could you add a
	check of return code from ReportEventA()? That might shed
	light on the problem.

		Thank you,

		   Scott

* Re: does syslog works only for SYSTEM account on w2k?
@ 2003-09-29 12:40 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2003-09-29 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 07:03:42AM -0500, Scott Bolte wrote:
> 	 could you add a
> 	check of return code from ReportEventA()? That might shed
> 	light on the problem.

I've added a debug message.  Should be in the next developers snapshot.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: does syslog works only for SYSTEM account on w2k?
@ 2003-09-29 10:54 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2003-09-29 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2003-09-28 22:15 Scott Bolte
From: Scott Bolte @ 2003-09-28 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

It seems like cygwin syslog on w2k, both the logger command the
syslog(3) routine, works only for the SYSTEM account. Is that true?

I have a test script that uses logger. When I call it manually no messages
appear in the event log. When I turn it into a service, where it is invoked
with SYSTEM privileges, the test messages make it into the event log.

FYI: my goal is to interleave status messages from concurrently running
perl scripts into a single log file where the entries are sorted by
generation time. The NT event log will be fine, I can extract my
messages via a separate perl script, but I don't want to turn these
scripts into services

Here's my configuration and test information:
	- Cygwin DLL version 1.5.5-1
	- OS w2k SP4
	- environment variable CYGWIN=ntsec
	- test script (sltest.bat):

		@echo off
		echo  ---
		echo  ---
		echo  ---
		echo Running the syslog logger test
		D:\cygwin\bin\date
		D:\cygwin\bin\logger testing
		D:\cygwin\bin\id
		D:\cygwin\bin\printenv
		D:\cygwin\bin\sleep 5
		rem vim: fileformat=dos

	- Command to create the service:
		cygrunsrv --install sltest -p ~/sltest.bat --type auto
	- Command to start the service:
		cygrunsrv --start sltest

Btw, google searches, and searches of the cygwin archives, failed to enlighten
me wrt any SYSTEM constraint.

	Scott