* Export/Import cygwin installation config?
@ 2003-10-28  9:27 Christian Gunning
From: Christian Gunning @ 2003-10-28  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

  I took a short walk through the documentation and found no
mention of a way to "freeze" or export [or import]
installation package selection state.

  I have installed cygwin on several machines in approximately
identical configurations; time, attention, and critical
thinking was required each time, even though the results were
more or less identical.  Most recently, upon finishing package
selection and download initiation there was a system
interruption; I reloaded setup.exe to discover that it had
*not* saved state.
  While I understand that the cygwin package pool is
constantly changing, making selection state a complicated
issue, I suspect many would benefit greatly even from
imperfect improvements here. For example, as a sysadmin, I
look forward to including a static, custom-configured cygwin
on my toolbox cd for quick, no-mess installations in the field.

This said, I am very greatful for the many wonderful ways in
which the cygwin tools extend my computational capabilities.
Thank you so much for your time.

Sincerely,
Christian Gunning
University of Georgia

* Re: Export/Import cygwin installation config?
@ 2003-10-28  9:30 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-10-28  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: bioboy

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 08:13:28PM -0500, Christian Gunning wrote:
>I took a short walk through the documentation and found no mention of a
>way to "freeze" or export [or import] installation package selection
>state.
>
>I have installed cygwin on several machines in approximately identical
>configurations; time, attention, and critical thinking was required
>each time, even though the results were more or less identical.  Most
>recently, upon finishing package selection and download initiation
>there was a system interruption; I reloaded setup.exe to discover that
>it had *not* saved state.  While I understand that the cygwin package
>pool is constantly changing, making selection state a complicated
>issue, I suspect many would benefit greatly even from imperfect
>improvements here.  For example, as a sysadmin, I look forward to
>including a static, custom-configured cygwin on my toolbox cd for
>quick, no-mess installations in the field.

So, why don't you do this?  Why are you trying to impose your
requirements on the project in general rather than coming up with a
solution that works for you specifically?

Make a snapshot of what you need (on a CD or wherever) and take it to
any machine that needs it.  As a sysadmin, it should be trivial for
you to do this.

The only tricky part that people invariably (and to me, inexplicably)
stumble over, is making sure the mount table is properly duplicated.
However, the "mount" program should get you over the hurdle nicely.

* Re: Export/Import cygwin installation config?
@ 2003-10-28 22:28   ` Xian
From: Xian @ 2003-10-28 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> So, why don't you do this? Why are you trying to impose your
>
>requirements on the project in general rather than coming up with a
>

>solution that works for you specifically?

True.  My apologies.

In light of your comments, I see that I have confused the installation
process with finished product, the latter which is (relatively) location
insensitive.

I read the user manual again more closely and found the answer in
chapter 2, section *Download Source*:  "The Download from Internet
option is mainly for creating a base Cygwin package tree on one computer
for installation on several machines with Install from Local Directory;"...

Might adding an item to http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_2.html#SEC8 "How do I
install cygwin on several machines?" highlighting both the above and
below comments prove helpful?

>The only tricky part that people invariably (and to me, inexplicably)
>stumble over, is making sure the mount table is properly duplicated.
>However, the "mount" program should get you over the hurdle nicely.

This makes sense.  Thanks for the tip.

-christian

* Re: Export/Import cygwin installation config?
@ 2003-10-29  0:45     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-10-29  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 04:11:12PM -0500, Xian wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>So, why don't you do this? Why are you trying to impose your
>>requirements on the project in general rather than coming up with a
>>solution that works for you specifically?
>>
>True.  My apologies.
>
>In light of your comments, I see that I have confused the installation
>process with finished product, the latter which is (relatively) location
>insensitive.
>
>I read the user manual again more closely and found the answer in
>chapter 2, section *Download Source*:  "The Download from Internet
>option is mainly for creating a base Cygwin package tree on one computer
>for installation on several machines with Install from Local Directory;"...
>
>Might adding an item to http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_2.html#SEC8 "How do I
>install cygwin on several machines?" highlighting both the above and
>below comments prove helpful?

Remember the "F" in FAQ.

cgf