* A month worth of developers time available for Cygwin.
@ 2004-01-12 13:51 Ronald Landheer-Cieslak
From: Ronald Landheer-Cieslak @ 2004-01-12 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin list

This message is intended mostly for the Cygwin core developers.

I will be quitting my job mid februari (the 13th) and moving to Canada where
I won't start searching for a job until at least three weeks after our arrival
(I'll be looking after my daughter in stead). As I don't expect taking care of
my daughter will take all of my time, I have some time left on my hands.

I've been using Cygwin for quite a while now and would like to use the time
I'll have on my hands to do something useful for Cygwin. Since the last time
I wanted to offer my time (which finally didn't work out mostly because my
employer didn't want to sign the necessary paperwork) I've gotten the rust
off my C++ skills (and haven't let my other development skills rust either).

So if you think the project can use a developer for three to four weeks, I'll
be happy to help out. Just point me to something you would like me to do :)

rlc

--
Your depth of comprehension may tend to make you lax in worldly ways.

* Re: A month worth of developers time available for cygwin.
@ 2004-01-12 15:57 ` Christopher Faylor
       [not found]   ` <mit.lcs.mail.cygwin/20040112153908.GE8426@redhat.com>
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-01-12 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 03:39:03PM +0100, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
>This message is intended mostly for the Cygwin core developers.
>
>I will be quitting my job mid februari (the 13th) and moving to Canada where
>I won't start searching for a job until at least three weeks after our arrival
>(I'll be looking after my daughter in stead). As I don't expect taking care of
>my daughter will take all of my time, I have some time left on my hands.
>
>I've been using Cygwin for quite a while now and would like to use the time
>I'll have on my hands to do something useful for Cygwin. Since the last time
>I wanted to offer my time (which finally didn't work out mostly because my
>employer didn't want to sign the necessary paperwork) I've gotten the rust
>off my C++ skills (and haven't let my other development skills rust either).
>
>So if you think the project can use a developer for three to four weeks, I'll
>be happy to help out. Just point me to something you would like me to do :)

It's very nice of you to offer.  I think the biggest thing we could use help
on is documentation.  Going over the documents, removing obsolete bits, clarifying
obscure stuff, etc.  I don't want to step on Joshua's toes here so maybe he'll
correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the docs could use some work.

Otherwise, I can't think of a specific thing to point at and say "Work on that".
Maybe serial support?

cgf

@ 2004-01-12 21:30     ` Patrick J. LoPresti
From: Patrick J. LoPresti @ 2004-01-12 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ronald Landheer-Cieslak; +Cc: cygwin

Christopher Faylor <cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com> writes:

> Otherwise, I can't think of a specific thing to point at and say
> "Work on that".  Maybe serial support?

What about fixing the "Cygwin deadlocks due to broken select() when
writing to pipes" bug?

This has been biting us here, especially when using rsync over ssh,
and I do not think we are alone.

This is a clear deficiency in Cygwin, although not trivial to fix
(especially using documented Win32 pipe interfaces) or we would have
fixed it ourselves.

 - Pat

@ 2004-01-13  0:11   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2004-01-13  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Otherwise, I can't think of a specific thing to point at and say "Work on that".
> Maybe serial support?

Perhaps Robert has some open issues in setup?  (wishlist: rpm/dpkg
support in setup -- this is a very difficult task; search ml archives
for an outline of the synchonization issues...)

--
Chuck

@ 2004-01-13  2:20   ` Joshua Daniel Franklin
From: Joshua Daniel Franklin @ 2004-01-13  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 10:39:08AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 03:39:03PM +0100, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
> >This message is intended mostly for the Cygwin core developers.
> >
> >I will be quitting my job mid februari (the 13th) and moving to Canada where
> >I won't start searching for a job until at least three weeks after our
> >arrival (I'll be looking after my daughter in stead). As I don't expect
> >taking care of my daughter will take all of my time, I have some time left
> >on my hands.
> >
> >I've been using Cygwin for quite a while now and would like to use the time
> >I'll have on my hands to do something useful for Cygwin. Since the last time
> >I wanted to offer my time (which finally didn't work out mostly because my
> >employer didn't want to sign the necessary paperwork) I've gotten the rust
> >off my C++ skills (and haven't let my other development skills rust either).
> >
> >So if you think the project can use a developer for three to four weeks, I'll
> >be happy to help out. Just point me to something you would like me to do :)
>
> It's very nice of you to offer.  I think the biggest thing we could use help
> on is documentation.  Going over the documents, removing obsolete bits,
> clarifying obscure stuff, etc.  I don't want to step on Joshua's toes here so
> maybe he'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the docs could use some
> work.

Chris is absolutely right. There are a lot of things that I have not been
able to touch, for example the API Reference needs updating and examples.
Additionally it's a good idea to have someone else read over things since
something that makes sense to me might be nonsense to everyone else.

If this sounds like something you'd be interested in doing, I'd be happy
to help you get a working documentation-build system and answer any questions
about it. I know documentation isn't as "fun" as implementing features, but
it definitely helps users.

* Re: A month worth of developers time available for cygwin.
@ 2004-01-13 13:51     ` Ronald Landheer-Cieslak
From: Ronald Landheer-Cieslak @ 2004-01-13 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 08:13:03PM -0600, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 10:39:08AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 03:39:03PM +0100, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
>>>This message is intended mostly for the Cygwin core developers.
>>>
>>>I will be quitting my job mid februari (the 13th) and moving to Canada where
>>>I won't start searching for a job until at least three weeks after our
>>>arrival (I'll be looking after my daughter in stead). As I don't expect
>>>taking care of my daughter will take all of my time, I have some time left
>>>on my hands.
>>>
>>>I've been using Cygwin for quite a while now and would like to use the time
>>>I'll have on my hands to do something useful for Cygwin. Since the last time
>>>I wanted to offer my time (which finally didn't work out mostly because my
>>>employer didn't want to sign the necessary paperwork) I've gotten the rust
>>>off my C++ skills (and haven't let my other development skills rust either).
>>>
>>>So if you think the project can use a developer for three to four weeks, I'll
>>>be happy to help out. Just point me to something you would like me to do :)
>>
>> It's very nice of you to offer.  I think the biggest thing we could use help
>> on is documentation.  Going over the documents, removing obsolete bits,
>> clarifying obscure stuff, etc.  I don't want to step on Joshua's toes here so
>> maybe he'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the docs could use some
>> work.
>
> Chris is absolutely right. There are a lot of things that I have not been
> able to touch, for example the API Reference needs updating and examples.
> Additionally it's a good idea to have someone else read over things since
> something that makes sense to me might be nonsense to everyone else.
>
> If this sounds like something you'd be interested in doing, I'd be happy
> to help you get a working documentation-build system and answer any questions
> about it. I know documentation isn't as "fun" as implementing features, but
> it definitely helps users.
I'd be happy to help out with the documentation. As for the documentation
build system: what do I need?

rlc

* Re: A month worth of developers time available for cygwin.
@ 2004-01-13 14:12       ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2004-01-13 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ronald Landheer-Cieslak; +Cc: cygwin

Hello Ronald,

> I'd be happy to help out with the documentation. As for the documentation
> build system: what do I need?

openjaaaade: point setup.exe to http://anfaenger.de/cygwin

Then I use the Cygnus stylesheets, available from
ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/docbook-tools/ (is this correct, Joshua?)

BTW, we could need a newer version of openjade, we already talked with
Nicholas who seems to have an updated version running, but I have not
seen his patches yet.

Openjade is distributed via sourceforge: http://openjade.sf.net/

Gerrit
--
=^..^=                                     http://nyckelpiga.de/donate.html

* Re: A month worth of developers time available for cygwin.
@ 2004-01-13 14:42     ` Ronald Landheer-Cieslak
From: Ronald Landheer-Cieslak @ 2004-01-13 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The most recent thread I've found on the subject dates back from 2001 and
starts at http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2001-03/msg00170.html.
I'm reading the thread now (well.. during coffee breaks - I'm not off the
job quite yet). If this is not the thread I should be looking at, please
feel free to point me in the right direction..

rlc

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 07:03:04PM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
> >Otherwise, I can't think of a specific thing to point at and say "Work on
> >that".
> >Maybe serial support?
>
> Perhaps Robert has some open issues in setup?  (wishlist: rpm/dpkg
> support in setup -- this is a very difficult task; search ml archives
> for an outline of the synchonization issues...)
>
> --
> Chuck
>

> --

	Two brothers, Mort and Bill, like to sail.  While Bill has a great
deal of experience, he certainly isn't the rigger Mort is.

* Re: A month worth of developers time available for cygwin.
@ 2004-01-14  3:01       ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2004-01-14  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Believe it or not, the best thread is here, even tho it's old (never
mind the subject line; we drifted offtopic without re-titling):

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2002-07/msg00104.html
"Re: ITP: Guile 1.5.6"

--
Chuck

@ 2004-01-14  4:26       ` Joshua Daniel Franklin
From: Joshua Daniel Franklin @ 2004-01-14  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 03:46:12PM +0100, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
> I'd be happy to help out with the documentation. As for the documentation
> build system: what do I need?

As far as the Cygwin distribution goes, you need to have all the
normal build tools (gcc,make,etc) and a couple you might not--
libxml2 and rpm. Before the letters "R" "P" "M" scare people, let
me digress. Up until now the Cygwin documentation has been built
either on Linux or with custom Cygwin packages. (Note to you and
to future list readers, this hopefully will change very soon--maybe
as soon as we get Nicholas' openjade patches and can get it and the
various DTD and stylesheets in the distribution.)

The problem with installing custom packages is that you can get them
confused with real ones and create a dependency mess as you attempt
to move from custom to official packages. Right now on Cygwin all we
have is custom packages for SGML docbook (which is what the Users' Guide
and API Reference are written in). Nicholas mentioned that he'd been
using Red Hat's SRPMs, so I thought I'd try that for the transitional
phase. Just to be clear here, RPM is not becoming an official Cygwin
installation method, and most RPMs you find on the Web will *NOT* work
in Cygwin.

That said, I've put up my hacked-together RPMs at:

<http://ns1.iocc.com/~joshua/cygwin/RPMS/>

Note that RPM has many features such as dependency management that I've
deliberately ripped out of these, so don't get too excited.
Note also that there is an openjade-1.3.1-1.tar.bz2 there. This was
packaged about two years ago before there was trouble building openjade,
so it's quite old, but works for our purposes:

--------------------------snip---------------------------------------
# 1. Get the files
cd /tmp
wget -m -np -nH --cut-dirs=3 http://ns1.iocc.com/~joshua/cygwin/RPMS/

# 2. Never do this again--it's a very bad idea
cd /
tar jxvf /tmp/openjade-1.3-1.1.tar.bz2

# 3. Install the hacked-together "dependencies" rpms
rpm -Uhv /tmp/*rpm

# 4. Install the actual docbook packages
rpm -Uhv /tmp/docbook/*rpm

# 5. Remove everything you've installed with rpm with one easy step
#    onces we've got Cygwin packages together--no mess!
rpm -e $(rpm -qa)
--------------------------snip---------------------------------------

Once you've got that, all you should need to do it type "make" in the
winsup/doc folder of your Cygwin build tree. There are a couple of other
things you might want to do:

-comment out (with -- before and after) the "DTDDECL" statement in
/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets/catalog
This version of jade just hates the DTDDECL and complains loudly.

-Change /usr/bin/db2html's shebang to "#!/bin/bash" since it uses
bash-specific artithmetic syntax.

-Remove the cygwin-ug/cygwin-ug.html and cygwin-api-int/cygwin-api-int.html
build targets from winsup/doc/Makefile.in or just wait a week--see
<http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2004-q1/msg00004.html>

Hope this helps you get going, and let me know if you have any other
questions. You're welcome to work on most anything, though I think having an
improved API reference including real compilable examples would be great. The
API is documented in SGML files in winsup/cygwin/ and a few source files
(pinfo.cc). Grep for "funcsynopsis". Anyone else chime in with other todos?

* Re: A month worth of developers time available for cygwin.
@ 2004-01-14  9:47         ` Jan Nieuwenhuizen
From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen @ 2004-01-14  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Charles Wilson writes:

> Believe it or not, the best thread is here, even tho it's old (never
> mind the subject line; we drifted offtopic without re-titling):
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2002-07/msg00104.html
> "Re: ITP: Guile 1.5.6"

Note that I switched to mknetrel for my packages.

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter

* Re: A month worth of developers time available for cygwin.
@ 2004-01-14 16:41         ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-01-14 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Note that there are a couple of patches to the generic build script
floating around in the cygwin-apps archives.  Also, it might pay to look
at the sources of a bunch of Cygwin packages that use the generic build
script, and compare/extract the good bits/parameterize the differences.
I'm sure people (read: package maintainers) will appreciate a new release
of the generic build script, and it will also make it easier to eventually
switch to an RPM/dpkg-like model.
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: A month worth of developers time available for cygwin.
@ 2004-01-15  6:33           ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2004-01-15  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> Note that there are a couple of patches to the generic build script
> floating around in the cygwin-apps archives.  Also, it might pay to look
> at the sources of a bunch of Cygwin packages that use the generic build
> script, and compare/extract the good bits/parameterize the differences.
> I'm sure people (read: package maintainers) will appreciate a new release
> of the generic build script, and it will also make it easier to eventually
> switch to an RPM/dpkg-like model.

Request: can somebody else with commit access please look into this (I
have a hunch that folks are waiting for _me_ to do this...)  I've been
dutifully archiving the various posted patches but I just can't find any
extra time to sift out the wheat from the chaff.  Job/Personal/RealLife
is intruding heavily just now...

--
Chuck

* Re: A month worth of developers time available for cygwin.
@ 2004-01-15  9:45             ` Ronald Landheer-Cieslak
From: Ronald Landheer-Cieslak @ 2004-01-15  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I don't have commit access, but I will have the time in four weeks :)
If you've been dutifully archiving the patches, I'll be happy to examine
them.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if people have in deed been waiting for you
to patch the generic build script: AFAIKnew, it's your script, right?

:)

rlc

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 01:28:02AM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >Note that there are a couple of patches to the generic build script
> >floating around in the cygwin-apps archives.  Also, it might pay to look
> >at the sources of a bunch of Cygwin packages that use the generic build
> >script, and compare/extract the good bits/parameterize the differences.
> >I'm sure people (read: package maintainers) will appreciate a new release
> >of the generic build script, and it will also make it easier to eventually
> >switch to an RPM/dpkg-like model.
>
> Request: can somebody else with commit access please look into this (I
> have a hunch that folks are waiting for _me_ to do this...)  I've been
> dutifully archiving the various posted patches but I just can't find any
> extra time to sift out the wheat from the chaff.  Job/Personal/RealLife
> is intruding heavily just now...
>
> --
> Chuck
>

> --

Traffic jam on the Information Superhighway.

* Re: A month worth of developers time available for cygwin.
@ 2004-01-15 14:23         ` Ronald Landheer-Cieslak
From: Ronald Landheer-Cieslak @ 2004-01-15 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've gotten my local Cygwin installation up to speed for this (openjade et
al.) but I'll probably be working on my Gentoo box at home (seeing as I only
have one Windows at my disposal at home, which does have Cygwin but which
I hardly ever use, I'll do as much as possible on my normal development box..)

I'll try to get things working so I can run `make' properly and will report
back when I've either gotten things going or have run into some really
blocking problem..

rlc

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 10:22:10PM -0600, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:
> [...]
>
> -comment out (with -- before and after) the "DTDDECL" statement in
> /usr/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl-stylesheets/catalog
> This version of jade just hates the DTDDECL and complains loudly.
>
> -Change /usr/bin/db2html's shebang to "#!/bin/bash" since it uses
> bash-specific artithmetic syntax.
>
> -Remove the cygwin-ug/cygwin-ug.html and cygwin-api-int/cygwin-api-int.html
> build targets from winsup/doc/Makefile.in or just wait a week--see
> <http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2004-q1/msg00004.html>
>
> Hope this helps you get going, and let me know if you have any other
> questions. You're welcome to work on most anything, though I think having an
> improved API reference including real compilable examples would be great. The
> API is documented in SGML files in winsup/cygwin/ and a few source files
> (pinfo.cc). Grep for "funcsynopsis". Anyone else chime in with other todos?

"Are [Linux users] lemmings collectively jumping off of the cliff of
reliable, well-engineered commercial software?"
(By Matt Welsh)

* Re: A month worth of developers time available for cygwin.
@ 2004-01-16  2:02           ` Joshua Daniel Franklin
From: Joshua Daniel Franklin @ 2004-01-16  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 04:29:35PM +0100, Ronald Landheer-Cieslak wrote:
> I've gotten my local Cygwin installation up to speed for this (openjade et
> al.) but I'll probably be working on my Gentoo box at home (seeing as I only
> have one Windows at my disposal at home, which does have Cygwin but which
> I hardly ever use, I'll do as much as possible on my normal development box..)

Great, I'm glad it worked. For running on Gentoo, the main thing you should
look for is docbook-sgml-utils, which is what they call docbook-utils. It
includes all the stuff like db2html and jw which you need. And of course
you'll need CVS to get the docs.

> I'll try to get things working so I can run `make' properly and will report
> back when I've either gotten things going or have run into some really
> blocking problem..

Sure, if you have non-Cygwin trouble feel free to email me too. If you've
never used DocBook here's a good introduction to the basics of how and why:

<http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/sgml.html>

The whole DocBook DTD reference manual (DocBook: The Definitive Guide) is
online, so you can just Google for, say "funcsynopsis" and get descriptions
and parents/children. Of course, you probably won't need any of that since
you can look at examples in the other parts of the Cygwin documentation.