* OLOCA
@ 2004-01-15 21:21 Orlando Echevarria
From: Orlando Echevarria @ 2004-01-15 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Rollin' on the floor laughing my ass [off | out] = ROFLMAO
Rollin' on the floor Lauhging = ROFL

Ta Ta for now = TTFN
Talk to you later = TTYL

Orlando
--
Orlando Echevarria
Webmaster and Developer

* Re: OLOCA
@ 2004-01-15 22:24 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-01-15 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Orlando Echevarria; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Orlando Echevarria wrote:

> Rollin' on the floor laughing my ass [off | out] = ROFLMAO
> Rollin' on the floor Lauhging = ROFL
>
> Ta Ta for now = TTFN
> Talk to you later = TTYL
>
> Orlando

Orlando,

I appreciate the input.  However, I don't intend the OLOCA to be the
all-inclusive list of all possible acronyms -- there are much better lists
that accomplish this job, two of which are even linked to from the OLOCA
intro.  The approach I've taken so far is: if I see an acronym appear more
than once on the Cygwin lists, or if it's Cygwin-specific, or if I
particularly like it (hey, being the maintainer has to have its quirks!),
I include it in the OLOCA.  So, in summary, if you have an acronym that
you like and frequently use, and if you use it on any Cygwin list, I'm
likely to include it in the OLOCA.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: OLOCA
@ 2004-01-16  1:24   ` Orlando Echevarria
From: Orlando Echevarria @ 2004-01-16  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

no problem!

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Orlando Echevarria wrote:
>

>>Rollin' on the floor laughing my ass [off | out] = ROFLMAO
>>Rollin' on the floor Lauhging = ROFL
>>
>>Ta Ta for now = TTFN
>>Talk to you later = TTYL
>>
>>Orlando
>

> Orlando,
>
> I appreciate the input.  However, I don't intend the OLOCA to be the
> all-inclusive list of all possible acronyms -- there are much better lists
> that accomplish this job, two of which are even linked to from the OLOCA
> intro.  The approach I've taken so far is: if I see an acronym appear more
> than once on the Cygwin lists, or if it's Cygwin-specific, or if I
> particularly like it (hey, being the maintainer has to have its quirks!),
> I include it in the OLOCA.  So, in summary, if you have an acronym that
> you like and frequently use, and if you use it on any Cygwin list, I'm
> likely to include it in the OLOCA.
> 	Igor

* Re: OLOCA
@ 2004-01-16  1:30     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-01-16  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 08:20:30PM -0500, Orlando Echevarria wrote:
>no problem!

i.e., "NP".

cgf

* OLOCA
@ 2017-04-26 20:55 Greywolf
From: Greywolf @ 2017-04-26 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

POLA: Principle of least astonishment.  When something behaves in a way
which transcends the concept of not only "non-intuitive", but
"counter-intuitive", by doing something that could be only more out of
phase if it were also rotated 90 degrees on the Z axis, as it were, it
is said to "violate the POLA".  An example would be a backup program
which, when restoring selected files, deleted everything else in the
directory which was not on the restore list.  Not that I'd know anything
about that happening, of course, nor that duplicity would do such a
thing when instructed to restore some files in place...

				--*greywolf;

* Re: OLoCA
@ 2008-07-30 23:56     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-07-30 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 05:33:11PM -0400, Mark J. Reed wrote:
>> Uriel Apeiron wrote on 30 July 2008 20:23:
>>>I was poking around the Cygwin site and noticed the 'acronym' section.
>>>The section should be called 'abbreviations'.  Acronyms are a subset of
>>>abbreviations that a person can say like a word, like squares are a
>>>subset of rectangles.  All acronyms are abbreviations but not vice
>>>versa.  CIA is an abbreviation, NASA is an acronym.
>
>"There is no universal agreement on the precise definition of the
>various terms (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym#Nomenclature)
>...  [acronym] is widely used to describe any abbreviation formed from
>initial letters".
>
>Bonus terminology: those who restrict "acronym" as you do can refer to
>the non-acronym abbreviations such as CIA as "initialisms" (as distinct
>from other sorts of abbrev.)
>
>Also, beginning a conversation by making bald statements of the "You're
>Doing It Wrong" form might get one branded as rude.  Which you might or
>might not care about.  Just something to consider.

Thank you.  I was going to make this point but, IMO, you made it more
clearly than any wording I could come up with.

Btw, I think we need an acronym for someone who begins conversations by
making bald statements.  BCBMBS?

Also, FWIW, the dictionary.com definition of acronym seems to match what
we do on the OLOCA perfectly.

Thanks, Mark.

cgf

* RE: OLoCA
@ 2008-07-30 23:07 ` Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] @ 2008-07-30 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Uriel Apeiron

Uriel Apeiron wrote on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 3:23 PM:
> I was poking around the Cygwin site and noticed the 'acronym' section.
>  The section should be called 'abbreviations'.  Acronyms are a subset
> of abbreviations that a person can say like a word, like squares are
> a subset of rectangles.  All acronyms are abbreviations but not vice
> versa.  CIA is an abbreviation, NASA is an acronym.
>
> Also, you can make your abbreviations more clear (easier to guess and
> read) by showing articles (the, a) and prepositions (of, from, to,
> with) as lower case.  Out Of The Box would be ootB.

Uriel,

I beg to differ with you.  As I understand it, an acronym is a type of abbreviation, but its essence of use the first letters of words in a phrase.  How it is said is not a concern.  So both CIA (which could be pronounced as a word, but spelled out) and NASA are acronyms.  SQL (which is pronounced as a word, even though it has no vowels) is one, too.

As for your second suggestion, well maybe, but it's not worth making a big deal out of.  In practice, these things usually start informally and people use them however they like.  Are LoL or RoFLoL easier to guess than ROFLOL or LOL?*  No.  (* This ignores that they omit the "t" of "the".)  One finds a new acronym and googles it.  Or looks it up in the OLOCA <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/>.

Of course, if you weren't, I am OT here.  TITTTL.

- Barry
  - Disclaimer: Statements made herein are not made on behalf of NIAID.
  - Note: NIAID is an acronym for the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (part of the National Institutes of Health).  Note that the article and prepositions were not included.  People who work here usually spell it out but often enough pronounce it as a word.  What we struggle with is whether to use the definite article with the acronym.  Is it "NIAID is a component of NIH" or "The NIAID is a component of the NIH"?

---------

Abbreviation http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3Aabbreviation&btnG=Google+Search

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=abbreviation
- a shortened form of a word or phrase
- shortening something by omitting parts of it

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/abbreviation
- A shortened or contracted form of a word or phrase, used to represent the whole: Dr
- The act or result of shortening or reducing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbreviation
An abbreviation (from Latin brevis "short") is a shortened form of a word or phrase. Usually, but not always, it consists of a letter or group of letters taken from the word or phrase. For example, the word "abbreviation" can itself be represented by the abbreviation "abbr." or "abbrev."

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=abbreviation&searchmode=term
1460, from M.Fr. abréviation, from L.L. abbreviationem (nom. abbreviatio), from pp. of abbreviare "make brief," from L. ad "to" + breviare "shorten," from brevis "short, low, little, shallow" (see brief (adj.)).

---

Acronym http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3Aacronym&btnG=Google+Search

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=acronym
- a word formed from the initial letters of the several words in the name

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/acronym
- An abbreviation formed by (usually initial) letters taken from a word or series of words, and which is itself pronounced as a word, such as RAM, radar, or scuba; sometimes contrasted with initialism.
- A pronounceable word formed from the beginnings (letter or syllable) of other words and thus representing the phrase so formed, e.g. Benelux = the countries Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg considered as a political or economic whole.
- Any abbreviation so formed, regardless of pronunciation, such as TNT, IBM, or XML.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym_and_initialism
Acronyms, initialisms, and alphabetisms are abbreviations that are formed using the initial components in a phrase or name. These components may be individual letters (as in CEO), and/or parts of words (as in Benelux). There is no universal agreement on the precise definition of the various terms (see Nomenclature), nor on written usage (see Orthographic styling).

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=acronym&searchmode=term
1943 coinage from acro-, comb. form of Gk. akros "tip, end" (see acrid) + Eng. -onym "name" (abstracted from homonym; see name). The practice was non-existent before 20c. except in cabalistic esoterica and acrostic poetry.

* Re: OLoCA
@ 2008-07-30 21:33   ` Mark J. Reed
From: Mark J. Reed @ 2008-07-30 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Uriel Apeiron wrote on 30 July 2008 20:23:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was poking around the Cygwin site and noticed the 'acronym' section.
>>  The section should be called 'abbreviations'.  Acronyms are a subset
>> of abbreviations that a person can say like a word, like squares are a
>> subset of rectangles.  All acronyms are abbreviations but not vice
>> versa.  CIA is an abbreviation, NASA is an acronym.

"There is no universal agreement on the precise definition of the
various terms (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym#Nomenclature)
... [acronym] is widely used to describe any abbreviation formed from
initial letters".

Bonus terminology: those who restrict "acronym" as you do can refer to
the non-acronym abbreviations such as CIA as "initialisms" (as
distinct from other sorts of abbrev.)

Also, beginning a conversation by making bald statements of the
"You're Doing It Wrong" form might get one branded as rude.  Which you
might or might not care about.  Just something to consider.

--
Mark J. Reed <markjreed@gmail.com>

* RE: OLoCA
@ 2008-07-30 21:21 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2008-07-30 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Uriel Apeiron wrote on 30 July 2008 20:23:

> Hi,
>
> I was poking around the Cygwin site and noticed the 'acronym' section.
>  The section should be called 'abbreviations'.  Acronyms are a subset
> of abbreviations that a person can say like a word, like squares are a
> subset of rectangles.  All acronyms are abbreviations but not vice
> versa.  CIA is an abbreviation, NASA is an acronym.

  Embi, but yowtwit!  We carelessly mingle acronyms and abbreviations bwam -
iafnab![*]  Afair a few of them even come with pronounciation guides, so
wadr[**] I think you're pol!

  Scnr![***]

  Oh, and if you're going to reply, PCYMTNQREAIYR.[****]

    cheers,
      DaveK

[*]   - pronounced like 'yafnab'.
[**]  - pronounced like 'wadder'.
[***] - pronounced like 'scanner'.
[****] - pronounced like - oh, what the hell, you've had enough free
examples,  it should be obvious by now.

* OLoCA
@ 2008-07-30 19:23 Uriel Apeiron
From: Uriel Apeiron @ 2008-07-30 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I was poking around the Cygwin site and noticed the 'acronym' section.
 The section should be called 'abbreviations'.  Acronyms are a subset
of abbreviations that a person can say like a word, like squares are a
subset of rectangles.  All acronyms are abbreviations but not vice
versa.  CIA is an abbreviation, NASA is an acronym.

Also, you can make your abbreviations more clear (easier to guess and
read) by showing articles (the, a) and prepositions (of, from, to,
with) as lower case.  Out Of The Box would be ootB.

* RE: OLOCA
@ 2005-06-02 17:01               ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-06-02 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl M, Dave Korn; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Karl M wrote:

> > From: "Dave Korn"
> > Subject: RE: OLOCA

Another meeting interrupted by a loud snort. :-)
Ok, <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#OSCA>.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT

* RE: OLOCA
@ 2005-06-02 13:57             ` Karl M
From: Karl M @ 2005-06-02 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2005-06-02 13:19           ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-06-02 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-05-31 20:50           ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-05-31 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 31 May 2005, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Tue, 31 May 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:

Umm, make that "Only Acronyms Used Twice-or-more In Cygwin Lists Should Be

--

@ 2005-05-31 20:45         ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-05-31 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2005-05-31 20:32       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-05-31 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2005-05-31 19:24       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-05-31 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
>>   Maybe you should move that bit up to the top?
>
> I doubt it matters where it is.  That's the only place on the page that
> says to send suggestions to the main Cygwin list.  The words *on one of
> the Cygwin lists* are *in the same sentense*.  That should suffice, no?
> :-)

  No.  Come on, you know better than that!  People do _not_ "read the whole
thing right to the end", not ever.  If it isn't summarised in the first
paragraph, they won't take it away with them.

  If we're going to discuss this any further, bock-bock-b'gaaaaaaaaawk, you
know the score!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: OLOCA
@ 2005-05-31 18:56     ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-05-31 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2005-05-31 18:37   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-05-31 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-05-31 18:14 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-05-31 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hecksel, Phillip (P.J.); +Cc: cygwin

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > ROFL - rolling on floor laughing
> > ROFLMAO - ... my ass off
> > ROFLMAOMSH - ... my sides hurt

Quoting from the bottom of the OLOCA:

	I will add more acronyms as I encounter them on the list. If you
	see an acronym not listed here *on one of the Cygwin lists*,
	please send comments and suggestions to the main Cygwin list.

IOW, if I see it (actively) used, I'll add it.  If you see it actively
used, and I haven't added it, please send a ping to the main list.  Until
then, the first two of the above are on AcronymFinder.com, and the last
one doesn't seem to be in existence anywhere.
	Igor
--

@ 2005-05-31 17:57 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2005-05-31 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Hecksel, Phillip (P.J.) @ 2005-05-31 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Re: OLOCA
@ 2005-05-21  1:43 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-05-21  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ash; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, 20 May 2005, Ash wrote:

> Hey. Just thought that you might be able to include this one. It's not a
> real big one, but I use it from time to time, and it's probably already
> well known.
>
> "SOL" - meaning shit outa luck

I usually include acronyms as I encounter them on the list.  This
particular acronym I haven't seen used yet.  If you do use it, I'll be
sure to add it to the OLOCA.

FWIW, I've changed the wording at the bottom of the OLOCA a while ago to
clarify when acronym suggestions should be sent.  Please read it
carefully.
HTH,
	Igor
--

@ 2005-05-20 20:23 Ash
From: Ash @ 2005-05-20 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hey. Just thought that you might be able to include this one. It's not a
real big one, but I use it from time to time, and it's probably already
well known.

"SOL" - meaning shit outa luck

Hope that helps!
Ash Furrow
furroash@nb.sympatico.ca

* OLOCA
@ 2005-03-19  3:11 Reid Thompson
From: Reid Thompson @ 2005-03-19  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

WJFFM. <-- is not on list http://www.cygwin.com/acronyms/

* RE: OLOCA
@ 2004-08-24 20:34   ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-08-24 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Korn; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Dave Korn wrote:

> [...]

LOL.  I think this about sums it up.

Seriously, though -- if an acronym is used often (or if I like it -- being
the OLOCA maintainer has to have some quirks), I put it in the OLOCA.  So,
the best way to get something into the OLOCA is use it. :-D
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw

* RE: OLOCA
@ 2004-08-24 12:55 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2004-08-24 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
> PLMKIYHAQ - Please Let Me Know If You Have Any Questions
> PLMKIYHAP - Please Let Me Know If You Have Any Problems
> PLMKIYHAQ/P - Please Let Me Know If You Have Any Questions/Problems
>
> PLMKIYHAQ.

  Y?

    cheers,
      DaveK

* OLOCA
@ 2004-08-23 22:29 Thuy-Linh Chu
From: Thuy-Linh Chu @ 2004-08-23 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

I would like to suggest a couple more:

PLMKIYHAQ - Please Let Me Know If You Have Any Questions
PLMKIYHAP - Please Let Me Know If You Have Any Problems
PLMKIYHAQ/P - Please Let Me Know If You Have Any Questions/Problems

PLMKIYHAQ.

Sincerely,

Thuy-Linh Chu

* RE: OLOCA
@ 2004-03-10 23:44 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-03-10 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID); +Cc: cygwin

While we're on the "mean" theme, how about
"CGF: Crabbed, Grumpy, Forbidding" to go with "RCM"?.. ;-)
	Igor
P.S. FWIW, the OLOCA already has "CGF: Computer-Generated Forms"...

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: OLOCA
@ 2004-03-10 23:11 ` Martin Gainty
From: Martin Gainty @ 2004-03-10 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason B. Alonso, cygwin

Jason-

No link
Please re-transmit

Thanks,

Martin
"Sanity is a form of conformity"
.John Nash.. MIT

> Here's one for the OLOCA (sorry it's out of the blue):
>
> CGF: computer-generated fiction
>
> Cheers,
> Jason
>
> --

* RE: OLOCA
@ 2004-03-10 16:10 Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID)
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) @ 2004-03-10 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2004-03-10 15:44 Jason B. Alonso
From: Jason B. Alonso @ 2004-03-10 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2003-12-29  4:40 Nicholas Bodley
From: Nicholas Bodley @ 2003-12-29  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Delightful collection!

I don't think your acronym list should have any that haven't appeared,
but...

LLLL: Life's Little Lessons Learned. (Also L^4)

We who say that acronyms are acronyms only if you can pronounce them
(i.e., RADAR, SONAR, LORAN, etc.) are fighting a losing battle. There just
doesn't seem to be an equally-catchy word to describe the likes of VM and
FTP; even Richard Lederer could only come up with "initialism" for the
more-general case.

Fwiw, I just installed Cygwin (98 SE), and [less] complains of a missing
.dll and won't run. (However, IIRC, the Pause key works! Fantastic!) I'm
temporarily distracted from going to the FAQ; that's my next place to go.

What you folk are doing is quite interesting; reminds me of loopback and
UMSDOS, but doesn't seem to be either.

NNTR

Here's wishing you a bright and shiny New Year, but if you prefer a matte
finish, by all means may have that, instead.

--
Nicholas Bodley <#o#> Waltham, Mass.
<nbodley@speakeasy.net>

* Re: OLOCA
       [not found] <200310201923.QAA19610@dichato.dcc.uchile.cl>
@ 2003-10-20 22:25 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-10-20 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hernan M. Pulgar N.; +Cc: cygwin

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Hernan M. Pulgar N. wrote:

> PEBKAC : Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.
>
> An elegant way to say  is the _user_ and not the software or the
> hardware who is going wrong.
>
> Regards
>            Hernan

Hernan,

Additions to the OLOCA are mined from the Cygwin mailing lists.  I haven't
seen this term used, so I didn't include it (and won't until it's actually
used by someone, in context, more than once).  FWIW, the OLOCA contains
links to other acronym lists, both of which contain this expression (one
in a slightly modified form, i.e., PEBCAK).  So far the Cygwin lists used
other, more to-the-point, acronyms, e.g., YOWTWYWT and BWAM.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu