* 'exim' setup question
@ 2004-03-01  0:16 Jonathan E. Brickman
From: Jonathan E. Brickman @ 2004-03-01  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

A while ago I was using 'exim' quite successfully as an SMTP server
under cygwin/XP. Then more and more email service providers started
configuring their SMTP servers to not accept email sent from an ISP's
dynamic IP list, as one step in defense against spam. At first I just
set up exim's config file with a list of domains to route to my ISP's
smarthost; but then that list of domains got longer and longer, and exim
rapidly ceased to be practical -- and I never managed to get exim to
first try direct sends, and then do smarthost sends, for all
transmission, despite a large number of attempts using several different
items in the exim manual. Anyone have a simple solution?

--
Jonathan E. Brickman
http://joshuacorps.org

* Re: 'exim' setup question
@ 2004-03-01  7:43 ` Olaf Föllinger
From: Olaf Föllinger @ 2004-03-01  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 06:16:43PM -0600, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:
> A while ago I was using 'exim' quite successfully as an SMTP server
> under cygwin/XP. Then more and more email service providers started
> configuring their SMTP servers to not accept email sent from an ISP's
> dynamic IP list, as one step in defense against spam. At first I just
> set up exim's config file with a list of domains to route to my ISP's
> smarthost; but then that list of domains got longer and longer, and exim
> rapidly ceased to be practical -- and I never managed to get exim to
> first try direct sends, and then do smarthost sends, for all
> transmission, despite a large number of attempts using several different
> items in the exim manual. Anyone have a simple solution?

why not forward all the mail to a smarthost? Works for me with the
following configuration:

send_to_gateway:
  driver = manualroute
  transport = remote_smtp
  route_list = * <put your smarthost here>

Gruss Olaf Föllinger

--
Olaf Föllinger
Berater