* PLEASE TEST: Latest Cygwin snapshot == 1.5.10 alpha
@ 2004-05-20 11:38 Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2004-05-20 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

since we're heading with big steps towards Cygwin version 1.5.10, I'd
like to encourage as many of you as possible to give the latest developer
snapshot a test.

  http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

Many bugfixes and some interesting changes have been made and some new
functionality have been added.  The most important patches are listed below.

As usual, send bug reports to cygwin@cygwin.com, see

  http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Send bug fixes to cygwin-patches@cygwin.com.

Thanks,
Corinna

Changes since 1.5.9-1:

- Improve cygheap debugging, Fix heap size problems in child processes.
  (Christopher Faylor)

- Add sound recording capabilities and most Open Sound System (OSS)
  compliant ioctls.  Perform general improvements to audio code.
  (Gerd Spalink)

- Simplify and speed up path handling. (Pierre Humblet)

- Fix SIGCHLD handling. (Christopher Faylor)

- Fix shmat to succeed also for valid shmids not get by calling shmget.
  (Corinna Vinschen)

- Improve thread safety of newlib's file I/O functions. (Thomas Pfaff)

- Rewrite tape code to operate like Linux SCSI tape driver.  Documentation
  in /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/mt.README from the latest mt package.
  (Corinna Vinschen)

- Add SIGPIPE handling to sendmsg. (Corinna Vinschen)

- Change socket send/recv to asynchronouos socket I/O to solve signal handling
  problems in blocking socket calls.  (Corinna Vinschen)

- Add libtextreadmode.a to allow setting only file input to O_TEXT by default.
  (Corinna Vinschen)

- Speed up stat-like file operations. Minimize file open/close calls.
  in NT. (Corinna Vinschen)

- Fix lseek return code in case of error. (Corinna Vinschen)

- 16 byte align stacks to allow SSE operations.  (DJ Delorie)

- Ensure that newly created threads are always ready to receive a signal.
  (Christopher Faylor)

- Fix two races with multithreaded programs which use sockets.
  (Christopher Faylor)

- Ensure that correct errno is set for failing opens.  (Christopher Faylor)

- Fix so that cygwin works correctly on Windows 95.  (Pierre Humblet)

- Make lstat return the correct size for symbolic links. (Pierre Humblet)

- Make /dev/mem access work again.  (Corinna Vinschen)

- Fix problems with "find /".  (Pierre Humblet)

- Fix problem where simultaneous attempts to open new ptys could lead to the
  same pty being opened multiple times.  (Christopher Faylor)

- Implement flockfile, ftrylockfile, funlockfile, getgrgid_r, getgrnam_r and
  getlogin_r.  (Corinna Vinschen)

* Re: PLEASE TEST: Latest Cygwin snapshot == 1.5.10 alpha
@ 2004-05-20 13:57 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-05-20 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> since we're heading with big steps towards Cygwin version 1.5.10, I'd
> like to encourage as many of you as possible to give the latest developer
> snapshot a test.
>
>   http://cygwin.com/snapshots/
>
> Many bugfixes and some interesting changes have been made and some new
> functionality have been added.  The most important patches are listed below.
> [snip]
>
> - Make /dev/mem access work again.  (Corinna Vinschen)

BTW, should /dev/kmem work also?  It fails for me on Win2k '/dev/kmem:
No such device or address'.  I don't know if it's important, but here's
"ls -l /dev/kmem", just in case:
crw-rw-rw-    1 igor     Administ   1,   2 May 20 09:18 /dev/kmem

> - Fix problem where simultaneous attempts to open new ptys could lead to the
>   same pty being opened multiple times.  (Christopher Faylor)

As I've reported already, this isn't entirely fixed.  Anything I can do to
help debug this?  It'd be great if this could be fixed in 1.5.10...

Other than the above, the snapshot seems to be working great so far.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: PLEASE TEST: Latest Cygwin snapshot == 1.5.10 alpha
@ 2004-05-20 15:03   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2004-05-20 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On May 20 09:22, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> BTW, should /dev/kmem work also?

No, only /dev/mem and /dev/port are working.  /dev/kmem is still looking
for a contributor.

Corinna

Cygwin Co-Project Leader          mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: PLEASE TEST: Latest Cygwin snapshot == 1.5.10 alpha
@ 2004-05-20 18:07 ` Eric Hanchrow
From: Eric Hanchrow @ 2004-05-20 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: guile-devel

For what it's worth, the snapshot appears to fix a problem that I've
had building CVS guile -- briefly: the built guile would (when used to
build the documentation) immediately die with an error message from
Windows.  I'd be happy to provide more details if anyone's interested.
--
If you can't change your underwear, can you be sure you have any?

* Re: PLEASE TEST: Latest cygwin snapshot == 1.5.10 alpha
@ 2004-05-20 18:38   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-05-20 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 09:22:28AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>> - Fix problem where simultaneous attempts to open new ptys could lead to the
>>   same pty being opened multiple times.  (Christopher Faylor)
>
>As I've reported already, this isn't entirely fixed.

Sigh.  My new email setup really sucks.  I found your message in the
archives but it hasn't arrived here yet.  I think that bu.edu has
various forwarding servers that just go down randomly and it takes days
for anyone to notice.  When they eventually kick the machine, I get a
bunch of old email in my inbox.

Anyway, I found your message in the archives and I think that your problem
should be fixed in the current snapshot.

cgf

* Re: PLEASE TEST: Latest cygwin snapshot == 1.5.10 alpha
@ 2004-05-21  2:04     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-05-21  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2004-05-25 21:11       ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-05-25 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 09:22:28AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >> - Fix problem where simultaneous attempts to open new ptys could lead to the
> >>   same pty being opened multiple times.  (Christopher Faylor)
> >
> >As I've reported already, this isn't entirely fixed.
>
> [snip]
>
> Anyway, I found your message in the archives and I think that your problem
> should be fixed in the current snapshot.
>
> cgf

And it is -- works like a charm in 20040520.  Thanks, and sorry for the
delay in testing.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/