* Seqfault doing kill -l
@ 2004-05-27 15:36 Robert  McGovern
From: Robert  McGovern @ 2004-05-27 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: rob

Hi,

Couldn't find a mention of this in the Cygwin mailing list archives and
thought I'd ask about it.

I was trying to get the list of siginals that cygwins kill (/bin/kill)
takes using the kill -l command (and --list). Unfortuantly it causes it
to segfault as you can see from the following output, thought the other
kill in /usr/bin/kill works okay. Is this a known issue?

robertm@al ~
$ /bin/kill --list
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

robertm@al ~
$ /bin/kill --version
kill (cygwin) 1.14
Process Signaller
Copyright 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 Red Hat, Inc.
Compiled on Mar 18 2004

I have captured a stack trace

robertm@al ~
$ gdb /bin/kill
GNU gdb 2003-09-20-cvs (cygwin-special)
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and
you are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin"...(no debugging symbols
found)...
(gdb) run -l
Starting program: /usr/bin/kill.exe -l

0x610cdb11 in strlen () from /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
(gdb) bt
#0  0x610cdb11 in strlen () from /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
#1  0x610d18fc in wmemset () from /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
#2  0x610d1014 in wmemset () from /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
#3  0x610de407 in wmemset () from /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
#4  0x610882af in cygwin1!aclcheck () from /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
#5  0x00401b5f in ?? ()
(gdb)

robertm@al ~
$ which kill
/usr/bin/kill

robertm@al ~
$ kill -l
 1) SIGHUP       2) SIGINT       3) SIGQUIT      4) SIGILL
 5) SIGTRAP      6) SIGABRT      7) SIGEMT       8) SIGFPE
 9) SIGKILL     10) SIGBUS      11) SIGSEGV     12) SIGSYS
13) SIGPIPE     14) SIGALRM     15) SIGTERM     16) SIGURG
17) SIGSTOP     18) SIGTSTP     19) SIGCONT     20) SIGCHLD
21) SIGTTIN     22) SIGTTOU     23) SIGIO       24) SIGXCPU
25) SIGXFSZ     26) SIGVTALRM   27) SIGPROF     28) SIGWINCH
29) SIGLOST     30) SIGUSR1     31) SIGUSR2

robertm@al ~
$ kill -v
bash: kill: v: invalid signal specification

Rob

* Re: Seqfault doing kill -l
@ 2004-05-27 15:46 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-05-27 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert McGovern; +Cc: cygwin, rob

On Thu, 27 May 2004, Robert  McGovern wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Couldn't find a mention of this in the Cygwin mailing list archives and
> thought I'd ask about it.
>
> I was trying to get the list of siginals that cygwins kill (/bin/kill)
> takes using the kill -l command (and --list). Unfortuantly it causes it
> to segfault as you can see from the following output, thought the other
> kill in /usr/bin/kill works okay. Is this a known issue?

Confirmed.  This just got fixed in CVS by Christopher Faylor, BTW:
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-cvs/2004-q2/msg00210.html>.

> robertm@al ~
> $ /bin/kill --list
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> robertm@al ~
> $ /bin/kill --version
> kill (cygwin) 1.14
> Process Signaller
> Copyright 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 Red Hat, Inc.
> Compiled on Mar 18 2004
>
> I have captured a stack trace
> [snip]

FYI, the stack trace is worthless, as it's on an optimized non-debug
version of cygwin1.dll.

> robertm@al ~
> $ which kill
> /usr/bin/kill

You should have used "type kill", which would have shown you that "kill is
a shell builtin".
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: Seqfault doing kill -l
@ 2004-05-27 15:54 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-05-27 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 04:02:21PM +0100, Robert  McGovern wrote:
>robertm@al ~
>$ /bin/kill --list
>Segmentation fault (core dumped)

This should be fixed in the current snapshot.

cgf

* RE: Seqfault doing kill -l
@ 2004-05-27 17:22 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2004-05-27 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Robert  McGovern @ 2004-05-27 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pechtcha; +Cc: cygwin, rob

>>> pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu 05/27/04 04:36pm >>>
On Thu, 27 May 2004, Robert  McGovern wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Couldn't find a mention of this in the Cygwin mailing list archives
and
> thought I'd ask about it.
>
> I was trying to get the list of siginals that cygwins kill
(/bin/kill)
> takes using the kill -l command (and --list). Unfortuantly it causes
it
> to segfault as you can see from the following output, thought the
other
> kill in /usr/bin/kill works okay. Is this a known issue?

Confirmed.  This just got fixed in CVS by Christopher Faylor, BTW:
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-cvs/2004-q2/msg00210.html>.

<snip>