* cygwin and scsi tape drive.
@ 2004-05-27 21:06 Marc Schare
From: Marc Schare @ 2004-05-27 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear List:

I've been trying to get my SCSI tape drive to work under Windows/XP Home
Edition and CYGWIN and having absolutely no luck. My tape drive is recognized
as an "other device" so Windows is clearly aware of it. I have CYGWIN Version
1.5.10.3 (which should be the latest) and MT package Version 2.3.

When I do a mount command, I get:

bash: /etc/profile: line 185: syntax error: unexpected end of file
bash-2.05b$ mount
C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
\\.\tape0 on /dev/st0 type system (binmode)
\\.\tape0 on /dev/st1 type system (binmode)
\.tape0 on /dev/tape type system (binmode)
c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)
d: on /cygdrive/d type user (binmode,noumount)
bash-2.05b$

Which looks right to me, and when I try various flavors of mt, I get:

bash-2.05b$ mt -V
mt V2.3, Corinna Vinschen, Apr 19 2004
bash-2.05b$ mt -f /dev/st0 status
mt: /dev/st0: No such file or directory
bash-2.05b$

I am able to umount the drive, but when I try to mount it again, I get:

bash-2.05b$ mount \\.\tape0 /dev/st0
mount: warning - /dev/st0 does not exist.

bash-2.05b$ mount
C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
\\.\tape0 on /dev/st1 type system (binmode)
\.tape0 on /dev/tape type system (binmode)
\.tape0 on /dev/st0 type system (binmode)
c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)
d: on /cygdrive/d type user (binmode,noumount)

Any and all help would be appreciated. The tape drive does work fine under
Linux on the same PC, so I know it's not a connectivity issue.

Thanks in advance,
Marc Schare

* Re: cygwin and scsi tape drive.
@ 2004-05-27 22:33 ` Joshua Daniel Franklin
From: Joshua Daniel Franklin @ 2004-05-27 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Schare, cygwin

Have you read

<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html>?

Particularly the part about "Note that you can't use the mount table
to map from fixed device name to your own device name."

* Re: cygwin and scsi tape drive.
@ 2004-05-28 16:27   ` Marc Schare
From: Marc Schare @ 2004-05-28 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Joshua Daniel Franklin <joshuadfranklin <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Have you read
>
> <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html>?
>
> Particularly the part about "Note that you can't use the mount table
> to map from fixed device name to your own device name."

I did read the note, but I don't think I'm trying to do that. Again, here is
the result from the mount command:

C:\Documents and Settings\Marc>mount
C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
\device\tape0 on /dev/st0 type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
\\.\tape0 on /dev/st1 type system (binmode)
\.tape0 on /dev/tape type system (binmode)
c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)
d: on /cygdrive/d type user (binmode,noumount)

Which clearly states that \device\tape0 is mounted on /dev/st0, which tells me
I should be able to use /dev/st0, but when I try, I get this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Marc>mt -f /dev/st0 status
mt: /dev/st0: No such file or directory

For grins, I also tried this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Marc>mt -f \device\tape0 status
mt: \device\tape0: No such file or directory

Without success. The ls command can find the drive:

C:\Documents and Settings\Marc>ls -l /dev/st0
crw-rw-rw-    1 Marc     None       9,   0 May 28 11:57 /dev/st0

So.. what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

@ 2004-05-28 16:39     ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2004-05-28 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Schare; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Marc Schare wrote:

> Joshua Daniel Franklin <joshuadfranklin <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > Have you read
> >
> > <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html>?
> >
> > Particularly the part about "Note that you can't use the mount table
> > to map from fixed device name to your own device name."
>
> I did read the note, but I don't think I'm trying to do that. Again, here is
> the result from the mount command:

I think you are.

> C:\Documents and Settings\Marc>mount
> C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
> C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
> \device\tape0 on /dev/st0 type system (binmode)

/dev/st0 is a virtual device in Cygwin that corresponds to \device\tape0
in Windows NT+.  You are trying to remake this association via the mount
table.  Why?

> C:\cygwin on / type system (binmode)
> \\.\tape0 on /dev/st1 type system (binmode)

What is that for?  /dev/st1 is a Cygwin virtual device that corresponds to
\device\tape1 in Windows NT+.  You are trying to reassociate that via
mount.  You must not have understood the Users Guide section quoted above
at all.

> \.tape0 on /dev/tape type system (binmode)

Try simply ln -s /dev/st0 /dev/tape

> c: on /cygdrive/c type user (binmode,noumount)
> d: on /cygdrive/d type user (binmode,noumount)
>
> Which clearly states that \device\tape0 is mounted on /dev/st0, which
> tells me I should be able to use /dev/st0, but when I try, I get this:

Only if those mounts don't exist.

> C:\Documents and Settings\Marc>mt -f /dev/st0 status
> mt: /dev/st0: No such file or directory

You have really confused things with the mounts.

> For grins, I also tried this:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Marc>mt -f \device\tape0 status
> mt: \device\tape0: No such file or directory

I assume you properly quoted those '\' or used a cmd shell?  Anyway, don't
expect POSIX device behavior if you use a Windows device path.

> Without success. The ls command can find the drive:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Marc>ls -l /dev/st0
> crw-rw-rw-    1 Marc     None       9,   0 May 28 11:57 /dev/st0
>
> So.. what am I doing wrong?

Don't use mount.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer

* Re: cygwin and scsi tape drive.
@ 2004-05-28 17:18       ` Marc Schare
From: Marc Schare @ 2004-05-28 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Don't use mount.

My only use of the mount command was to demonstrate that Windows and CYGWIN
knew about the tape drive. Mount with no parameters doesn't change the mount
table, does it?

I'm not trying to reassociate the Posix device names, I'm merely attempting to
use /dev/st0 as it says in the manual:

/dev/st0	\device\tape0, rewind
/dev/nst0	\device\tape0, no-rewind

According to the book, after a boot, if the system finds a tape drive, Posix
applications can get to it by referring to /dev/st0. I can't. Again, the
*only* use of the mount command was to try and document the problem. Any other
ideas?

@ 2004-05-28 17:43         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-05-28 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 04:44:53PM +0000, Marc Schare wrote:
>> Don't use mount.
>
>My only use of the mount command was to demonstrate that Windows and CYGWIN
>knew about the tape drive. Mount with no parameters doesn't change the mount
>table, does it?

Do a:

  umount /dev/st0

and everything should work fine after that.  /dev/st0 SHOULD NOT BE IN YOUR
MOUNT TABLE.