* MapViewOfFileEx errors disappeared with cygwin1-20040716 snapshot
@ 2004-07-18 14:09 Dr. Volker Zell
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2004-07-18 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

Hi Chris

I just want to note that all of my MapViewOfFileEx errors which I saw
with a lot of my gnome1 apps dissapeared after installing the latest
snapshot.

It must be this change:

2004-07-16  Christopher Faylor  <cgf@timesys.com>

	* pinfo.cc (pinfo::init): Guard against MapViewOfFileEx failure.

Thanks a lot

Ciao
  Volker

* Re: MapViewOfFileEx errors disappeared with cygwin1-20040716 snapshot
@ 2004-07-19  5:14 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-07-19  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 03:11:18PM +0200, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
>I just want to note that all of my MapViewOfFileEx errors which I saw
>with a lot of my gnome1 apps dissapeared after installing the latest
>snapshot.
>
>It must be this change:
>
>2004-07-16  Christopher Faylor  <cgf@timesys.com>
>
>	* pinfo.cc (pinfo::init): Guard against MapViewOfFileEx failure.
>
>Thanks a lot

No, that would not change anything.  I just added a fatal error message.

The fix must lie elsewhere.

cgf

* Re: MapViewOfFileEx errors disappeared with cygwin1-20040716 snapshot
@ 2004-07-19 11:47   ` Dr. Volker Zell
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2004-07-19 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

    > On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 03:11:18PM +0200, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
    >> I just want to note that all of my MapViewOfFileEx errors which I saw
    >> with a lot of my gnome1 apps dissapeared after installing the latest
    >> snapshot.
    >>
    >> It must be this change:
    >>
    >> 2004-07-16  Christopher Faylor  <cgf@timesys.com>
    >>
    >> * pinfo.cc (pinfo::init): Guard against MapViewOfFileEx failure.
    >>
    >> Thanks a lot

    > No, that would not change anything.  I just added a fatal error message.

You are right. I just checked my XWin.log and it again said

 MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support

also ipcs gives me

 Bad system call

I start my cygserver as a service and a process listing shows that it's
still running, hmmmmmmm.....

When I start cygserver after a reboot from a bash shell I get the
following (cygwin1.dll and cygserver both from the Jul 17 snapshot):

12:19 PM [505]> cygserver --version
cygserver: (cygwin) 1.10
API version 1.5.11(0.116/4/1)-(3.0.0.2) 20040717 00:34:52SNP
Copyright 2001, 2002, 2003 Red Hat, Inc.
Compiled on Jul 17 2004
Default configuration file is /etc/cygserver.conf
12:21 PM [506]> cygserver -e -l 7 -d
cygserver: daemon starting up
cygserver: /netrel/src/cygwin-snapshot-20040717-1/winsup/cygserver/threaded_queue.cc, line 112: starting all queue submission loops
assertion "!_hThread" failed: file "/netrel/src/cygwin-snapshot-20040717-1/winsup/cygserver/threaded_queue.cc", line 321

The only good thing, my gnome apps doesn't show the MapViewOfFileEx failure.

Reverting cygwin1.dll and cygserver back to 1.5.10-3, cygserver works
just fine, but now my gnome apps show again the MapViewOfFileEx failure

@ 2004-07-19 18:01     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-07-19 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 12:36:55PM +0200, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:

>    > On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 03:11:18PM +0200, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
>    >> I just want to note that all of my MapViewOfFileEx errors which I saw
>    >> with a lot of my gnome1 apps dissapeared after installing the latest
>    >> snapshot.
>    >>
>    >> It must be this change:
>    >>
>    >> 2004-07-16  Christopher Faylor  <cgf@timesys.com>
>    >>
>    >> * pinfo.cc (pinfo::init): Guard against MapViewOfFileEx failure.
>    >>
>    >> Thanks a lot
>
>    > No, that would not change anything.  I just added a fatal error message.
>
>You are right. I just checked my XWin.log and it again said
>
> MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
>
>also ipcs gives me
>
> Bad system call

That's not the fatal error message that I was talking about.

Does the latest snapshot work any better?

Corinna and I noticed some strangeness with cygserver earlier this year
when it was compiled with gcc 3.3.2.  She reminded me of this problem
earlier today.  I had previously reverted my main system to gcc 3.3.1 a
but neglected to revert one of the other systems that I use for building
snapshots via distcc.  So, it was pure chance as to whether cygserver
was compiled with gcc 3.3.2 or gcc 3.3.1.

Now all three of the systems that I use to build snapshots should be in
sync, so I'm hoping your cygserver problem is now gone.

cgf

* Re: MapViewOfFileEx errors disappeared with cygwin1-20040716 snapshot
@ 2004-07-20 12:11     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2004-07-20 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul 19 12:36, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
> You are right. I just checked my XWin.log and it again said
>
>  MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
>
> also ipcs gives me
>
>  Bad system call
>
> I start my cygserver as a service and a process listing shows that it's
> still running, hmmmmmmm.....
>
> When I start cygserver after a reboot from a bash shell I get the
> following (cygwin1.dll and cygserver both from the Jul 17 snapshot):
>
> 12:19 PM [505]> cygserver --version
> cygserver: (cygwin) 1.10
> API version 1.5.11(0.116/4/1)-(3.0.0.2) 20040717 00:34:52SNP
> Copyright 2001, 2002, 2003 Red Hat, Inc.
> Compiled on Jul 17 2004
> Default configuration file is /etc/cygserver.conf
> 12:21 PM [506]> cygserver -e -l 7 -d
> cygserver: daemon starting up
> cygserver: /netrel/src/cygwin-snapshot-20040717-1/winsup/cygserver/threaded_queue.cc, line 112: starting all queue submission loops
> assertion "!_hThread" failed: file "/netrel/src/cygwin-snapshot-20040717-1/winsup/cygserver/threaded_queue.cc", line 321

You're talking about two different problems here.  The "Bad system call"
is a result of either not having $CYGWIN set to contain the word "server",
or a result of Cygserver not running.

The failing assertion in Cygserver seems to be a problem of compiling
Cygserver with a g++ version which has some weird bug.  The latest
snapshot still has that problem, apparently.  I've just created a new
snapshot, which contains a Cygserver which should work fine.  At least
I tried it and it runs w/o assertion *and* I don't see the above
"MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support" message with
that Cygserver.

Corinna

Cygwin Co-Project Leader          mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: MapViewOfFileEx errors disappeared with cygwin1-20040716 snapshot
@ 2004-07-20 13:56       ` Dr. Volker Zell
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 2004-07-20 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

    > You're talking about two different problems here.  The "Bad system call"
    > is a result of either not having $CYGWIN set to contain the word "server",
    > or a result of Cygserver not running.

    > The failing assertion in Cygserver seems to be a problem of compiling
    > Cygserver with a g++ version which has some weird bug.  The latest
    > snapshot still has that problem, apparently.  I've just created a new
    > snapshot, which contains a Cygserver which should work fine.  At least
    > I tried it and it runs w/o assertion *and* I don't see the above
    > "MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support" message with
    > that Cygserver.

I just checked with cygwin-20040720 and indeed cygserver runs fine again.

Well my MapViewOfFileEx errors are still there, but that seems to be a
different problem.

@ 2004-07-20 16:26         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2004-07-20 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul 20 15:53, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
> Well my MapViewOfFileEx errors are still there, but that seems to be a
> different problem.

I tried to reproduce that problem with my shm test application which
forks twice, but to no avail.

A simple testcase(tm) would be helpful.

Corinna

Cygwin Co-Project Leader          mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: MapViewOfFileEx errors with cygwin1-20040716 snapshot
@ 2004-07-21  1:15           ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-07-21  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Jul 20 15:53, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
> > Well my MapViewOfFileEx errors are still there, but that seems to be a
> > different problem.
>
> I tried to reproduce that problem with my shm test application which
> forks twice, but to no avail.
>
> A simple testcase(tm) would be helpful.
>
> Corinna

Corinna,

FWIW, I just saw this error for the first time with the above snapshot
(Win2k SP3).  The command that triggered it was a "cvs diff" run from vim
(":!cvs diff"), if it makes any difference.  No idea what caused it, since
all of the subsequent invocations of the exact same command (from the same
vim session) succeeded.  I've been unable to reproduce it since, so this
is just a quick confirmation that it's not only Volker's environment.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: MapViewOfFileEx errors with cygwin1-20040716 snapshot
@ 2004-07-21 10:14             ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2004-07-21 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul 20 21:03, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > On Jul 20 15:53, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
> > > Well my MapViewOfFileEx errors are still there, but that seems to be a
> > > different problem.
> >
> > I tried to reproduce that problem with my shm test application which
> > forks twice, but to no avail.
> >
> > A simple testcase(tm) would be helpful.
> >
> > Corinna
>
> Corinna,
>
> FWIW, I just saw this error for the first time with the above snapshot
> (Win2k SP3).  The command that triggered it was a "cvs diff" run from vim
> (":!cvs diff"), if it makes any difference.  No idea what caused it, since

It makes a difference.  FWIW, Volker's message is printed from a function
which only runs in case a process is using XSI shared memory and forks.
cvs doesn't use XSI shared memory so the message you saw is very likely
emitted by open_shared.

@ 2004-07-21 18:57               ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-07-21 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Jul 20 21:03, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> > > I tried to reproduce that problem with my shm test application which
> > > forks twice, but to no avail.
> > >
> > > A simple testcase(tm) would be helpful.
> > >
> > > Corinna
> >
> > Corinna,
> >
> > FWIW, I just saw this error for the first time with the above snapshot
> > (Win2k SP3).  The command that triggered it was a "cvs diff" run from vim
> > (":!cvs diff"), if it makes any difference.  No idea what caused it, since
>
> It makes a difference.  FWIW, Volker's message is printed from a function
> which only runs in case a process is using XSI shared memory and forks.
> cvs doesn't use XSI shared memory so the message you saw is very likely
> emitted by open_shared.

Actually, this is what's weird.  The messages from open_shared() and
fixup_shms_after_fork() are subtly different, and I don't recall the name
of the shared region (or, for that matter, anything in single quotes)
being printed, so I guess the message came from fixup_shms_after_fork().
I've since tried to reproduce it under strace, and failed.  The three
times I saw the message, one was from inside cvs.exe, and two were from
inside ssh.exe, if that helps any.  The next time I get this error, I'll
copy/paste the exact message and the exact sequence of actions that led to
it.  Please let me know what else I can do to help track this down.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: MapViewOfFileEx errors with cygwin1-20040716 snapshot
@ 2004-07-21 20:53                 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2004-07-21 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul 21 14:47, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > It makes a difference.  FWIW, Volker's message is printed from a function
> > which only runs in case a process is using XSI shared memory and forks.
> > cvs doesn't use XSI shared memory so the message you saw is very likely
> > emitted by open_shared.
>
> Actually, this is what's weird.  The messages from open_shared() and
> fixup_shms_after_fork() are subtly different, and I don't recall the name
> of the shared region (or, for that matter, anything in single quotes)
> being printed, so I guess the message came from fixup_shms_after_fork().
> I've since tried to reproduce it under strace, and failed.  The three
> times I saw the message, one was from inside cvs.exe, and two were from
> inside ssh.exe, if that helps any.  The next time I get this error, I'll

None of these apps use XSI shared memory.  In theory that only can happen
if sph_list is not all zero in a forked application.  But that should only
happen if the parent used XSI shared memory...

> copy/paste the exact message and the exact sequence of actions that led to
> it.  Please let me know what else I can do to help track this down.

Do you have Cygserver running?  If yes, does that also happen if it
doesn't run or CYGWIN != "server"?

@ 2004-07-21 22:46                   ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-07-21 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Jul 21 14:47, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > > It makes a difference.  FWIW, Volker's message is printed from a function
> > > which only runs in case a process is using XSI shared memory and forks.
> > > cvs doesn't use XSI shared memory so the message you saw is very likely
> > > emitted by open_shared.
> >
> > Actually, this is what's weird.  The messages from open_shared() and
> > fixup_shms_after_fork() are subtly different, and I don't recall the name
> > of the shared region (or, for that matter, anything in single quotes)
> > being printed, so I guess the message came from fixup_shms_after_fork().
> > I've since tried to reproduce it under strace, and failed.  The three
> > times I saw the message, one was from inside cvs.exe, and two were from
> > inside ssh.exe, if that helps any.  The next time I get this error, I'll
>
> None of these apps use XSI shared memory.  In theory that only can happen
> if sph_list is not all zero in a forked application.  But that should only
> happen if the parent used XSI shared memory...
>
> > copy/paste the exact message and the exact sequence of actions that led to
> > it.  Please let me know what else I can do to help track this down.
>
> Do you have Cygserver running?  If yes, does that also happen if it
> doesn't run or CYGWIN != "server"?
>
> Corinna

Nope, I don't have cygserver running.  My $CYGWIN is "check_case:strict
ntsec notitle binmode nosmbntsec notty".  If you want to put some more
debugging info in all the places the above message can appear, I'll use
the new snapshot and if I trip the error again, I'll post the output.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: MapViewOfFileEx errors with cygwin1-20040716 snapshot
@ 2004-07-22 17:03                     ` Igor Pechtchanski
                                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-07-22 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> > > Actually, this is what's weird.  The messages from open_shared() and
> > > fixup_shms_after_fork() are subtly different, and I don't recall the
> > > name of the shared region (or, for that matter, anything in single
> > > quotes) being printed, so I guess the message came from
> > > fixup_shms_after_fork(). I've since tried to reproduce it under
> > > strace, and failed.  The three times I saw the message, one was from
> > > inside cvs.exe, and two were from inside ssh.exe, if that helps any.
> > > The next time I get this error, I'll
> >
> > None of these apps use XSI shared memory.  In theory that only can
> > happen if sph_list is not all zero in a forked application.  But that
> > should only happen if the parent used XSI shared memory...
> >
> > > copy/paste the exact message and the exact sequence of actions that
> > > led to it.  Please let me know what else I can do to help track this
> > > down.
> >
> > Do you have Cygserver running?  If yes, does that also happen if it
> > doesn't run or CYGWIN != "server"?
> >
> > Corinna
>
> Nope, I don't have cygserver running.  My $CYGWIN is "check_case:strict
> ntsec notitle binmode nosmbntsec notty".  If you want to put some more
> debugging info in all the places the above message can appear, I'll use
> the new snapshot and if I trip the error again, I'll post the output.
> 	Igor

Ok, I tripped the error again.  Here it is, in all of its pristine glory:

c:\cygwin\bin\vim.exe (2568): *** MapViewOfFileEx failed, Win32 error 6

Weirdly enough, I did not find this exact message anywhere in the sources
(there's only one occurrence of "MapViewOfFileEx failed" in the current
CVS, and it has other things in the message).  If anyone has any ideas
on where it's coming from, I'd appreciate a pointer.
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: MapViewOfFileEx errors with cygwin1-20040716 snapshot
@ 2004-07-22 17:20                       ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-07-22 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> Ok, I tripped the error again.  Here it is, in all of its pristine glory:
>
> c:\cygwin\bin\vim.exe (2568): *** MapViewOfFileEx failed, Win32 error 6
>
> Weirdly enough, I did not find this exact message anywhere in the sources
> (there's only one occurrence of "MapViewOfFileEx failed" in the current
> CVS, and it has other things in the message).  If anyone has any ideas
> on where it's coming from, I'd appreciate a pointer.

Never mind.  I spoke too soon, and my "current CVS" turned out to be not
all that current.  The message above comes from pinfo.cc, line 197.

<CYGWIN-TECHNICAL-STUFF>
  Would it work if I built my own DLL, with debugging, and inserted a
  "try_to_debug()" call before the api_fatal()?  Frankly, I've never had
  much luck getting gdb to start from the "error_start" setting in
  $CYGWIN, but I'll see if I can get this to work unless the above info
  helps someone track this down sooner.
</CYGWIN-TECHNICAL-STUFF>

HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* RE: MapViewOfFileEx errors with cygwin1-20040716 snapshot
@ 2004-07-22 17:47                       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2004-07-22 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
> Ok, I tripped the error again.  Here it is, in all of its
> pristine glory:
>
> c:\cygwin\bin\vim.exe (2568): *** MapViewOfFileEx failed,
> Win32 error 6
>
> Weirdly enough, I did not find this exact message anywhere in
> the sources
> (there's only one occurrence of "MapViewOfFileEx failed" in
> the current CVS,

  I beg to differ:

dk@mace /usr/build/src/winsup/cygwin> grep  "MapViewOfFileEx failed" *.cc
mmap.cc:          syscall_printf ("-1 = mmap(): MapViewOfFileEx failed with
%E")
;
pinfo.cc:       api_fatal ("MapViewOfFileEx failed, %E");
dk@mace /usr/build/src/winsup/cygwin> cvs status mmap.cc pinfo.cc
File: mmap.cc           Status: Up-to-date

   Working revision:    1.98
   Repository revision: 1.98    /cvs/src/src/winsup/cygwin/mmap.cc,v
   Sticky Tag:          (none)
   Sticky Date:         (none)
   Sticky Options:      -ko

File: pinfo.cc          Status: Up-to-date

   Working revision:    1.116
   Repository revision: 1.116   /cvs/src/src/winsup/cygwin/pinfo.cc,v
   Sticky Tag:          (none)
   Sticky Date:         (none)
   Sticky Options:      -ko

[  Note that %E translates to "Win32 error %d" where the %d argument is
supplied by GetLastError  ]

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: MapViewOfFileEx errors with cygwin1-20040716 snapshot
@ 2004-07-22 17:53                         ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2004-07-22 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
> Never mind.  I spoke too soon, and my "current CVS" turned out to be not
> all that current.  The message above comes from pinfo.cc, line 197.

  Oops.  Teach me to deal with mail in the order it arrives!

> <CYGWIN-TECHNICAL-STUFF>
>   Would it work if I built my own DLL, with debugging, and inserted a
>   "try_to_debug()" call before the api_fatal()?  Frankly,
> I've never had
>   much luck getting gdb to start from the "error_start" setting in
>   $CYGWIN, but I'll see if I can get this to work unless the
> above info
>   helps someone track this down sooner.
> </CYGWIN-TECHNICAL-STUFF>

  Dunno exactly.  However, my suggestion is that the most useful diagnostic
at that point would be a print out of the address parameter passed to the
MVOFx function and the name of the .dll that is occupying that area, or
perhaps just an entire module list.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: MapViewOfFileEx errors with cygwin1-20040716 snapshot
@ 2004-07-22 19:17                       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-07-22 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 12:54:37PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>Ok, I tripped the error again.  Here it is, in all of its pristine glory:
>
>c:\cygwin\bin\vim.exe (2568): *** MapViewOfFileEx failed, Win32 error 6
>
>Weirdly enough, I did not find this exact message anywhere in the sources
>(there's only one occurrence of "MapViewOfFileEx failed" in the current
>CVS, and it has other things in the message).  If anyone has any ideas
>on where it's coming from, I'd appreciate a pointer.

It's a new error in pinfo.cc line 195 in current (as of this writing) CVS
sources.

* Re: MapViewOfFileEx errors with cygwin1-20040716 snapshot
@ 2004-07-22 20:58                         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2004-07-22 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul 22 18:37, Dave Korn wrote:
>   I beg to differ:
>
> dk@mace /usr/build/src/winsup/cygwin> grep  "MapViewOfFileEx failed" *.cc
> mmap.cc:          syscall_printf ("-1 = mmap(): MapViewOfFileEx failed with
> %E")
> ;
> pinfo.cc:       api_fatal ("MapViewOfFileEx failed, %E");

Hey, that's *very* different!  Note the use of the word "with" in mmap.cc.

@ 2004-07-23 12:38                           ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2004-07-23 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
> > mmap.cc:          syscall_printf ("-1 = mmap():
> MapViewOfFileEx failed with
> > %E")
> > ;
> > pinfo.cc:       api_fatal ("MapViewOfFileEx failed, %E");
>
> Hey, that's *very* different!  Note the use of the word
> "with" in mmap.cc.
>
> Corinna

  I note that you subtly snipped out the statement with which I was begging
>> (there's only one occurrence of "MapViewOfFileEx failed" in
>> the current CVS,

  Now, where did I leave that trollometer?

<g>

    cheers,
      DaveK  [ it's in the bin.  it blew up ages ago. ]

* Re: MapViewOfFileEx errors with cygwin1-20040716 snapshot
@ 2004-07-25 12:19                         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-07-25 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 02:15:58PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 12:54:37PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>>Ok, I tripped the error again.  Here it is, in all of its pristine glory:
>>
>>c:\cygwin\bin\vim.exe (2568): *** MapViewOfFileEx failed, Win32 error 6
>>
>>Weirdly enough, I did not find this exact message anywhere in the sources
>>(there's only one occurrence of "MapViewOfFileEx failed" in the current
>>CVS, and it has other things in the message).  If anyone has any ideas
>>on where it's coming from, I'd appreciate a pointer.
>
>It's a new error in pinfo.cc line 195 in current (as of this writing) CVS
>sources.

I added some additional logic around this error to try to avoid issuing
it if the process is exiting.  I was thinking that maybe this was a
multi-thread problem but, AFAICT, the only time that this should be
accessed from a multi-thread context in CVS is when a process exits.

cgf

* Re: MapViewOfFileEx errors with cygwin1-20040716 snapshot
@ 2004-07-26  7:48                           ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-07-26  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 02:15:58PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 12:54:37PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >>Ok, I tripped the error again.  Here it is, in all of its pristine glory:
> >>
> >>c:\cygwin\bin\vim.exe (2568): *** MapViewOfFileEx failed, Win32 error 6
> >>
> >>Weirdly enough, I did not find this exact message anywhere in the sources
> >>(there's only one occurrence of "MapViewOfFileEx failed" in the current
> >>CVS, and it has other things in the message).  If anyone has any ideas
> >>on where it's coming from, I'd appreciate a pointer.
> >
> >It's a new error in pinfo.cc line 195 in current (as of this writing) CVS
> >sources.
>
> I added some additional logic around this error to try to avoid issuing
> it if the process is exiting.  I was thinking that maybe this was a
> multi-thread problem but, AFAICT, the only time that this should be
> accessed from a multi-thread context in CVS is when a process exits.
>
> cgf

Thanks.  I'll see if I get the errors again with the new DLL.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: MapViewOfFileEx errors with cygwin1-20040716 snapshot
@ 2004-07-26  7:54                             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-07-26  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 10:17:19PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>On Sat, 24 Jul 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:

>> >It's a new error in pinfo.cc line 195 in current (as of this writing) CVS
>> >sources.
>>
>> I added some additional logic around this error to try to avoid issuing
>> it if the process is exiting.  I was thinking that maybe this was a
>> multi-thread problem but, AFAICT, the only time that this should be
>> accessed from a multi-thread context in CVS is when a process exits.
>
>Thanks.  I'll see if I get the errors again with the new DLL.

FWIW, I'm just grasping at straws.  I can't convince myself that this would
even be a problem at exit.

cgf