* Cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines (reprise)
@ 2004-07-30 14:06 Volker Bandke
From: Volker Bandke @ 2004-07-30 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi everyone,

This msg relates to an earlier one at

with title "Cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines"

I have a ASUS P4-P800E DELUXE Motherboard in my PC, with an Intel 3.2
GHz HT capable CPU.  The same symptoms as described for Cygwin 1.5.9
still show up for Cygwin 1.5.10-3, IOW:

When the machine is somewhat loaded, the simple loop like

#!/bin/bash
declare -ix ITER;
while :; do
  `let ITER=0`
  mypwd=`pwd`
  if test -z "$mypwd"; then
     echo "Test failed, mypwd is empty"
     exit 1
  else
     ITER=ITER+1
     echo "Next iteration is $ITER"
  fi
done

fails under Windows XP professional, Service Pack 1a.  Sometimes
there are about a hundred iterations, sometimes 15000, but fail it
will.

I have looked through the archives, but haven't found the
(Re-)solution.   Why is this a problem?  Large ./configure && make &&
make install jobs fail at indeterminable points in time, with the
same symptoms

 --
     With kind Regards            |\      _,,,---,,_
                            ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,

      Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus
handicapped. -- Elbert Hubbard

        (Another Wisdom from my fortune cookie jar)

* Re: cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines (reprise)
@ 2004-07-30 14:49 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-07-30 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 03:30:20PM +0200, Volker Bandke wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>

>This msg relates to an earlier one at
>

>http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2004-04/msg00223.html
>

>with title "Cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines"
>

>I have a ASUS P4-P800E DELUXE Motherboard in my PC, with an Intel 3.2
>GHz HT capable CPU.  The same symptoms as described for Cygwin 1.5.9
>still show up for Cygwin 1.5.10-3, IOW:
>[snip]
>I have looked through the archives, but haven't found the
>(Re-)solution.   Why is this a problem?  Large ./configure && make &&
>make install jobs fail at indeterminable points in time, with the
>same symptoms

cgf

* Re: Cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines (reprise)
@ 2004-07-30 16:03 ` Chuck McDevitt
From: Chuck McDevitt @ 2004-07-30 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Volker Bandke; +Cc: cygwin

"Volker Bandke" <vbandke@bsp-gmbh.com>
Sent by: cygwin-owner@cygwin.com
07/30/2004 09:30 AM

<cygwin@cygwin.com>
cc

Subject
[...]

We've been trying to track down this problem, but so far have not
succeeded.  The problem is not isolated to hyperthreaded machines,
but can be reproduced on multi-CPU machines as well.

All recent version of Cygwin have this bug.  From what I can tell,
1.3.x versions of Cygwin1.dll did not have this bug (probably
that was before cygwin1.dll was multithreaded).

Loops like the one you show will fail saying "Test failed, mypwd is empty"
other times the test will simply hang (making it not obvious that
the test failed.

I've also been trying to convince my company to donate a
hyperthreaded machine to someone on the cygwin project, but so far,
management's reaction is "How do we know anyone will work on
the problem, even if we give them a machine?"
And I'm not even sure who we would send the machine to.

Charles McDevitt
Ab Initio Software

* Re: cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines (reprise)
@ 2004-07-30 16:17   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-07-30 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 11:41:39AM -0400, Chuck McDevitt wrote:
>I've also been trying to convince my company to donate a hyperthreaded
>machine to someone on the cygwin project, but so far, management's
>reaction is "How do we know anyone will work on the problem, even if we
>give them a machine?" And I'm not even sure who we would send the
>machine to.

I would probably be the best candidate and I would work on it if a
machine was donated.

FWIW, I have a multi-cpu machine and have, in the past, run the
supposedly failing tests for days without problem.

Btw, please don't include raw email addresses in your replies.

cgf

* Re: cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines (reprise)
@ 2004-07-30 17:09     ` Chuck McDevitt
From: Chuck McDevitt @ 2004-07-30 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 11:41:39AM -0400, Chuck McDevitt wrote:
>I've also been trying to convince my company to donate a hyperthreaded
>machine to someone on the cygwin project, but so far, management's
>reaction is "How do we know anyone will work on the problem, even if we
>give them a machine?" And I'm not even sure who we would send the
>machine to.

I would probably be the best candidate and I would work on it if a
machine was donated.

FWIW, I have a multi-cpu machine and have, in the past, run the
supposedly failing tests for days without problem.

Btw, please don't include raw email addresses in your replies.

cgf

Hello Christopher,

The problem only appears if there is something else running
on the box that is creating processes, such as a large make,
or some other kind of heavy load.

I've run the test for a good day or so on a box with no other load, and
the
problem didn't occur, but doing several makes and/or builds in Visual
Studio at
the same time, and the bug would occur very quickly.

P.s.  I've tried to get this stupid Lotus notes to not send any raw email
addresses, but
it's hard to tell what it is really sending, as it doesn't show me what
the e-mail will
look like to you.    Notes is a major pain-in-the-ass, but it's what I'm
stuck with here.

* Re: cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines (reprise)
@ 2004-07-30 18:10       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-07-30 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 12:03:16PM -0400, Chuck McDevitt wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 11:41:39AM -0400, Chuck McDevitt wrote:
>>I've also been trying to convince my company to donate a hyperthreaded
>>machine to someone on the cygwin project, but so far, management's
>>reaction is "How do we know anyone will work on the problem, even if we
>>give them a machine?" And I'm not even sure who we would send the
>>machine to.
>
>cgf wrote:
>>I would probably be the best candidate and I would work on it if a
>>machine was donated.
>>
>>FWIW, I have a multi-cpu machine and have, in the past, run the
>>supposedly failing tests for days without problem.
>>
>>Btw, please don't include raw email addresses in your replies.
>
>The problem only appears if there is something else running
>on the box that is creating processes, such as a large make,
>or some other kind of heavy load.
>
>I've run the test for a good day or so on a box with no other load, and
>the problem didn't occur, but doing several makes and/or builds in
>Visual Studio at the same time, and the bug would occur very quickly.
>
>P.s.  I've tried to get this stupid Lotus notes to not send any raw
>email addresses, but it's hard to tell what it is really sending, as it
>doesn't show me what the e-mail will
>look like to you.    Notes is a major pain-in-the-ass, but it's what I'm
>stuck with here.

(Well, whatever you're using, you're making it pretty hard to have a
normal mailing list discussion since you're top-posting and not using
any attribution.)

Anyway, I have tried doing other things while the tests were running
without problems.  My SMP system is a dual PIII 733, so maybe it just
isn't powerful enough to trigger the problem.

* Re: cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines (reprise)
@ 2004-07-30 18:31     ` Volker Bandke
From: Volker Bandke @ 2004-07-30 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Re: cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines (reprise)
@ 2004-07-30 18:42       ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2004-07-30 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Volker Bandke, cygwin

At 12:17 PM 7/30/2004, you wrote:

>>FWIW, I have a multi-cpu machine and have, in the past, run the
>>supposedly failing tests for days without problem.
>
>On my single-CPU, Hyperthreading machine the error occurs within 30
>minutes, latest, even if no other activity is going on...

Can you provide a test case that reproduces the problem for you?  I'm
assuming the script you sent in your previous message doesn't reproduce
under no-load since you state as much.  If you can provide such an example
or can describe something I can try that will surely show the problem for
you, I'll try it on my HT machine over the weekend.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines (reprise)
@ 2004-07-30 19:24         ` Volker Bandke
From: Volker Bandke @ 2004-07-30 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

Larry,

this may be a language thing - English is not my native language) -
but the script I provided does show the stated behaviour -it provides
enough load in and of itself.   As I said, it sometimes fails after
50 or so iterations, sometimes after 15000, but it does fail - and
the machine is running no additional load  (of course, there is the
usual plethora of programs, like Firewall, Virus scanner, etc)  The
script is not run in a Cygwin box, but from windows using  bash
httest.bash

#!/bin/bash
declare -ix ITER;
while :; do
  `let ITER=0`
  mypwd=`pwd`
  if test -z "$mypwd"; then
     echo "Test failed, mypwd is empty"
     exit 1
  else
     ITER=ITER+1
     echo "Next iteration is $ITER"
  fi
done

 --
     With kind Regards            |\      _,,,---,,_
                            ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,
     Volker Bandke               |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
      (BSP GmbH)                '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)

      Een schip op het strand is een baken in zee. [A ship on the
beach is a lighthouse to the sea.] - Dutch Proverb

        (Another Wisdom from my fortune cookie jar)

From: Larry Hall @ 2004-07-30 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Volker Bandke, Cygwin List

At 02:10 PM 7/30/2004, you wrote:

>Larry,
>
>this may be a language thing - English is not my native language) -
>but the script I provided does show the stated behaviour -it provides
>enough load in and of itself.   As I said, it sometimes fails after
>50 or so iterations, sometimes after 15000, but it does fail - and
>the machine is running no additional load  (of course, there is the
>usual plethora of programs, like Firewall, Virus scanner, etc)  The
>script is not run in a Cygwin box, but from windows using  bash
>httest.bash

OK, thanks.  I followed this subtle difference this time. ;-)  I'll try it
on my system and see if I can reproduce it.  We'll see what happens from
there.  Is it fair to assume that you've run the same thing with HT turned
off and that you don't see the problem?

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines (reprise)
@ 2004-07-30 21:30             ` Volker Bandke
From: Volker Bandke @ 2004-07-30 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

> Is it fair to assume that you've run the same thing with HT turned
off and that you don't see the problem?

It is.  I cancelled the script the next morning, don't remember the
number of iterations displayed, though

 --
     With kind Regards            |\      _,,,---,,_
                            ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,

      If you would keep a secret from an enemy, tell it not to a
friend.

        (Another Wisdom from my fortune cookie jar)

From: Larry Hall @ 2004-07-30 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Volker Bandke, Cygwin List

At 02:42 PM 7/30/2004, you wrote:

>> Is it fair to assume that you've run the same thing with HT turned
>off and that you don't see the problem?
>
>It is.  I cancelled the script the next morning, don't remember the
>number of iterations displayed, though

OK, thanks.  I'll run this sometime this weekend and let you know if I
can reproduce it.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines (reprise)
@ 2004-08-02 15:07           ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2004-08-02 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Volker Bandke, Cygwin List

At 02:10 PM 7/30/2004, you wrote:

>Larry,
>
>this may be a language thing - English is not my native language) -
>but the script I provided does show the stated behaviour -it provides
>enough load in and of itself.   As I said, it sometimes fails after
>50 or so iterations, sometimes after 15000, but it does fail - and
>the machine is running no additional load  (of course, there is the
>usual plethora of programs, like Firewall, Virus scanner, etc)  The
>script is not run in a Cygwin box, but from windows using  bash
>httest.bash
>
>#!/bin/bash
>declare -ix ITER;
>while :; do
>  `let ITER=0`
>  mypwd=`pwd`
>  if test -z "$mypwd"; then
>     echo "Test failed, mypwd is empty"
>     exit 1
>  else
>     ITER=ITER+1
>     echo "Next iteration is $ITER"
>  fi
>done

FWIW, I can get this to reproduce in some form on my HT box.  For me, it
hangs as described by Chuck McDevitt in
<http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-04/msg00215.html>.  On my relatively
slow dual processor without HT (933MHz PIII), I also see the same results.
At this point, my input is little more than a "me too" report but since I
did say I'd try to reproduce it over the weekend, I wanted to provide the
feedback for those that might be waiting for it.  I plan to make an attempt
to debug this as time permits but I wouldn't let this statement persuade
someone from providing Chris or Corinna with a machine so they could look
at it.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines (reprise)
@ 2004-08-02 16:29             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-08-02 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 10:59:28AM -0400, Larry Hall wrote:
>At 02:10 PM 7/30/2004, you wrote:

>>Larry,
>>
>>this may be a language thing - English is not my native language) -
>>but the script I provided does show the stated behaviour -it provides
>>enough load in and of itself.   As I said, it sometimes fails after
>>50 or so iterations, sometimes after 15000, but it does fail - and
>>the machine is running no additional load  (of course, there is the
>>usual plethora of programs, like Firewall, Virus scanner, etc)  The
>>script is not run in a Cygwin box, but from windows using  bash
>>httest.bash
>>
>>#!/bin/bash
>>declare -ix ITER;
>>while :; do
>>  `let ITER=0`
>>  mypwd=`pwd`
>>  if test -z "$mypwd"; then
>>     echo "Test failed, mypwd is empty"
>>     exit 1
>>  else
>>     ITER=ITER+1
>>     echo "Next iteration is $ITER"
>>  fi
>>done
>
>FWIW, I can get this to reproduce in some form on my HT box.  For me, it
>hangs as described by Chuck McDevitt in
><http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-04/msg00215.html>.  On my relatively
>slow dual processor without HT (933MHz PIII), I also see the same
>results.  At this point, my input is little more than a "me too" report
>but since I did say I'd try to reproduce it over the weekend, I wanted
>to provide the feedback for those that might be waiting for it.  I plan
>to make an attempt to debug this as time permits but I wouldn't let
>this statement persuade someone from providing Chris or Corinna with a
>machine so they could look at it.

For the record I have never doubted that people were reporting real
problems.  I doubt that Corinna has either.

No more "me toos" are required here.  So, as Larry implied, either
debugging of the problem or the donation of a system is necessary.

cgf

* RE: cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines (reprise)
@ 2004-08-07 12:05   ` Gary R. Van Sickle
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2004-08-07 12:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > >FYI, the win98 testcase that I reported
> > >(http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-07/msg01120.html) locks
> up in the
> > >same way (as the testcase in this thread) on my
> hyperthreaded machine
> > >at work (P4, XPPro), but runs fine fine with HT disabled in BIOS.
> > >Maybe seeing what the two scripts do in common may help
> narrow down
> > >the cause.
> > >
> > >Also, on my win98 box, the testcase in
> > >http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-07/msg01088.html fails silently
> > >(returns to command prompt with no errors) after 20k-50k
> iterations.
> > >(my 98 box is a single cpu PIII btw).
> >
> >Your response to my plea for 'no more "me toos"' was to send
> a "me too".
> >
> >Yup.  Uh huh.
>
>   My apologies for offering a different testcase to help
> isolate the cause of a known bug. And my further apologies
> for making the mistake of noting that both testcases for two
> different bugs apply to both of the bugs. Next time I'll know better!
>
> :-)

You should also apologize for offering the new information that a single CPU
PIII is neither a hyperthreaded machine nor a multiprocessor machine, yet
fails a test case which heretofore has been reported to only have problems
on hyperthreaded and/or multiprocessor machines.  You're not Just Mean(tm),
are you?

--
Gary R. Van Sickle

* Re: cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines (reprise)
       [not found] <1091705732.26208.ezmlm@cygwin.com>
@ 2004-08-06  2:17 ` Errol Smith
From: Errol Smith @ 2004-08-06  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2004-08-05 12:21   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2004-08-05 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 07:28:26PM +1000, Errol Smith wrote:
> >Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >>For the record I have never doubted that people were reporting real
> >>problems.  I doubt that Corinna has either.
> >>
> >>No more "me toos" are required here.  So, as Larry implied, either
> >>debugging of the problem or the donation of a system is necessary.
> >
> >FYI, the win98 testcase that I reported
> >(http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-07/msg01120.html) locks up in the
> >same way (as the testcase in this thread) on my hyperthreaded machine
> >at work (P4, XPPro), but runs fine fine with HT disabled in BIOS.
> >Maybe seeing what the two scripts do in common may help
> narrow down the
> >cause.
> >
> >Also, on my win98 box, the testcase in
> >http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-07/msg01088.html fails silently
> >(returns to command prompt with no errors) after 20k-50k iterations.
> >(my 98 box is a single cpu PIII btw).
>
> Your response to my plea for 'no more "me toos"' was to send
> a "me too".

So was mine!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: cygwin1.dll problem with Hyperthreaded machines (reprise)
@ 2004-08-05 11:30 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-08-05 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2004-08-05  9:28 Errol Smith
From: Errol Smith @ 2004-08-05  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:
>For the record I have never doubted that people were reporting real
>problems.  I doubt that Corinna has either.
>
>No more "me toos" are required here.  So, as Larry implied, either
>debugging of the problem or the donation of a system is necessary.

FYI, the win98 testcase that I reported (http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-07/msg01120.html) locks up in the same way (as the testcase in this thread) on my hyperthreaded machine at work (P4, XPPro), but runs fine fine with HT disabled in BIOS. Maybe seeing what the two scripts do in common may help narrow down the cause.

Also, on my win98 box, the testcase in http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-07/msg01088.html fails silently (returns to command prompt with no errors) after 20k-50k iterations. (my 98 box is a single cpu PIII btw).

Regards, Errol

(sorry if this appears twice, I never saw the first one on the list or archives)