* Problems starting rxvt
@ 2004-12-13  7:10 Jesper Nygårds
From: Jesper Nygårds @ 2004-12-13  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have some problems when trying to run rxvt on my newly installed cygwin.

I have edited the cygwin.bat script to read as follows:

@echo off
C:
chdir C:\cygwin\bin
rxvt -e /bin/zsh --login -i

But when I start cygwin, a DOS window opens and displays the message:
"failed to open an Xlib (cygX11-6, libX11)". Then an rxvt window
opens. The DOS window can't be closed without closing the rxvt window.
Rxvt seems to be working fine, except for the fact that clicking the
middle mouse button doesn't paste but starts the Windows scrolling
mechanism.

I don¨t seem to have any problems with dependencies of rxvt:

% cygcheck rxvt
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe
C:/cygwin/bin/rxvt.exe
  C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNEL32.dll
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\RPCRT4.dll
  C:\WINDOWS\system32\USER32.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\GDI32.dll

How can I go about debugging this problem?

TIA

Jesper

* Re: Problems starting rxvt
@ 2004-12-13 19:37 ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2004-12-13 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesper Nygårds, cygwin

At 02:09 AM 12/13/2004, you wrote:
>I have some problems when trying to run rxvt on my newly installed cygwin.
>
>I have edited the cygwin.bat script to read as follows:
>
>@echo off
>C:
>chdir C:\cygwin\bin
>rxvt -e /bin/zsh --login -i
>
>But when I start cygwin, a DOS window opens and displays the message:
>"failed to open an Xlib (cygX11-6, libX11)". Then an rxvt window
>opens. The DOS window can't be closed without closing the rxvt window.
>Rxvt seems to be working fine, except for the fact that clicking the
>middle mouse button doesn't paste but starts the Windows scrolling
>mechanism.
>
>I don¨t seem to have any problems with dependencies of rxvt:
>
>% cygcheck rxvt
>Found: C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe
>C:/cygwin/bin/rxvt.exe
>  C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll
>    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL
>      C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll
>      C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNEL32.dll
>      C:\WINDOWS\system32\RPCRT4.dll
>  C:\WINDOWS\system32\USER32.dll
>    C:\WINDOWS\system32\GDI32.dll
>

>How can I go about debugging this problem?

Start here:

While you're at it, check if DISPLAY is set in your environment.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: Problems starting rxvt
@ 2004-12-14  7:15   ` Jesper Nygårds
From: Jesper Nygårds @ 2004-12-14  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:32:22 -0500, Larry Hall
<lh-no-personal-replies-please@cygwin.com> wrote:
> >I have edited the cygwin.bat script to read as follows:
> >
> >@echo off
> >C:
> >chdir C:\cygwin\bin
> >rxvt -e /bin/zsh --login -i
> >
> >But when I start cygwin, a DOS window opens and displays the message:
> >"failed to open an Xlib (cygX11-6, libX11)". Then an rxvt window
> >opens. The DOS window can't be closed without closing the rxvt window.
> >Rxvt seems to be working fine, except for the fact that clicking the
> >middle mouse button doesn't paste but starts the Windows scrolling
> >mechanism.
>
> Start here:
 > >Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Thank you for your reply Larry. Reading the page you suggested, I
realize my initial message was too vague. First of all this is cygwin
version 1.5.12-1 under Windows XP Professional. I have also run
"cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out" and attached the output to this
message.

> While you're at it, check if DISPLAY is set in your environment.

Doing an "echo %DISPLAY%" in DOS yields :0.0
Doing an "echo $DISPLAY" in rxvt/zsh yields :0.0

TIA

Jesper

[-- Attachment #2: cygcheck.out --]

* Re: Problems starting rxvt
@ 2004-12-14 15:28     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2004-12-14 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 08:15:03AM +0100, Jesper Nyg?rds wrote:
>On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:32:22 -0500, Larry Hall
>
>> While you're at it, check if DISPLAY is set in your environment.
>
>Doing an "echo %DISPLAY%" in DOS yields :0.0
>Doing an "echo $DISPLAY" in rxvt/zsh yields :0.0

So, Larry's suspicion was correct.  Unset your DISPLAY environment
variable prior to running rxvt and you should be all set.

cgf

* Re: Problems starting rxvt
@ 2004-12-15  4:34       ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2004-12-15  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 10:29 AM 12/14/2004, you wrote
>On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 08:15:03AM +0100, Jesper Nyg?rds wrote:
>>On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:32:22 -0500, Larry Hall
>>
>>> While you're at it, check if DISPLAY is set in your environment.
>>
>>Doing an "echo %DISPLAY%" in DOS yields :0.0
>>Doing an "echo $DISPLAY" in rxvt/zsh yields :0.0
>
>So, Larry's suspicion was correct.  Unset your DISPLAY environment
>variable prior to running rxvt and you should be all set.

Thanks for the pick up Chris.  I was unavoidably detained today and
couldn't read the list all day.

I miss my Cygwin fix. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746

* RE: Problems starting rxvt