* Re: Limitation in SCP?
@ 2004-12-15  0:48 Bob Smart
From: Bob Smart @ 2004-12-15  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I haven't yet had an opportunity to try 1.5.12, and it may be a while (just because I'm responsible for keeping the databases on these machines running doesn't mean I get regular access to them...) but I'll keep that in mind next time I get a shot at them.

I'd really like to blame Winduhs networking or the drivers for these particular NICs with this particular version of W2K, but then why would tar and cat work any better than scp?

Shrug.  I have a couple of viable workarounds, so it's primarily a matter of idle curiosity for me at this point.

--
GPG public key <bsmart@blorch.org> available from public key server
network or from www.blorch.org/bob

Fingerprint BA4A 552C BE3D 8C40 ED76 F372 DF9E 320D 37FA 16AC

* Re: Limitation in SCP?
@ 2004-12-15 15:10 Bob Smart
From: Bob Smart @ 2004-12-15 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I suppose it could be related to the XP piping problem, but I only have NT and W2K.  All I can really say is that it never happens (to me, anyway) on NT.  It certainly sounds like what others have described on XP.

The transfer that fails is a "pull" whether I'm using scp (which fails) or the tar-to-tar method (which doesn't).  It kind of has to be that way, too, because I can't be sure that sshd will always be running on the destination end to support a "push" mode of operation.

--
GPG public key <bsmart@blorch.org> available from public key server
network or from www.blorch.org/bob

Fingerprint BA4A 552C BE3D 8C40 ED76 F372 DF9E 320D 37FA 16AC

* Limitation in SCP?
@ 2004-12-13 20:37 Bob Smart
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Bob Smart @ 2004-12-13 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've discovered that in some circumstances, scp seems to get tired early when transferring a largish file (around 200MB).  It copies diligently for the first 20-40MB (exactly where it stops varies from run to run), then CPU usage drops to zero, the file stops growing on the receiving end, there's no apparent network traffic, and everything just pretty much halts.  A ps shows the scp task running, but not doing anything.

I've only seen this when copying between two W2K machines (both Cygwin, both using the Cygwin SSH package, both of pretty recent vintage with DLL 1.5.11).  I did my development testing between Linux and NT, and I never saw this behavior in that environment.  It always fails with the W2K machines.

I also never see this happen with tar.  If I do a tar-to-tar pipe via SSH, everything works even in the W2K-to-W2K environment.  However, I'd like to understand why I can't use scp for this.