* cygpath feature suggestion
@ 2005-10-03 16:35 Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID)
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) @ 2005-10-03 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

It would be useful if cygpath could work as a filter, taking in lists of
paths on the standard input and put them out one per line on the standard
output.  This could be used as a work-around for
	for F in
`command_or_pipe_creating_a_list_of_files_with_spaces_in_them`
	do
		echo ${F}
	done
causing the file names to be split up at the spaces.

Yes, I know, PTC, but I'm not a programmer.  This is just a suggestion.

- Barry

Barry U. Buchbinder, Ph.D.
Technology Development Associate
Office of Technology Development (OTD)
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID)
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)

6610 Rockledge Drive, Room 4071, MSC 6606
Bethesda, MD  20892-6606  (Zip Code for Courier:  20817)
301-496-2644/Fax: 402-7123/Direct: 594-1696/Office: Room 4041

The information in this e-mail and any of its attachments is confidential
and may contain sensitive information.  It should not be used by anyone who
is not the original intended recipient.  If you have received this e-mail in
error, please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other
storage devices.  The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases
shall not accept liability for any statements made that are sender's own and
not expressly made on behalf of the NIAID by one of its representatives.

* Re: cygpath feature suggestion
@ 2005-10-03 16:40 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-10-03 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 12:34:58PM -0400, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) wrote:
>It would be useful if cygpath could work as a filter, taking in lists of
>paths on the standard input and put them out one per line on the standard
>output.  This could be used as a work-around for
>	for F in
>`command_or_pipe_creating_a_list_of_files_with_spaces_in_them`
>	do
>		echo ${F}
>	done
>causing the file names to be split up at the spaces.
>
>Yes, I know, PTC, but I'm not a programmer.  This is just a suggestion.

In this case, the only PTC required is for the documentation.  Take a look
at 'cygpath --help', the option already exists.  It is just not in the man
page.

cgf

* Re: cygpath feature suggestion
@ 2005-10-03 20:33   ` Joe Smith
From: Joe Smith @ 2005-10-03 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> In this case, the only PTC required is for the documentation.  Take a look
> at 'cygpath --help', the option already exists.  It is just not in the man
> page.

I fail to see what he requested. What he wanted was like 'cygpath -pf -'
except that instead of using colons to seperate the path list, newlines were
used. I say this is probably a wontfix.

Use of "cygpath -pf -|sed s/:/\\n/g" works fine for me.

@ 2005-10-03 20:43     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-10-03 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 04:29:22PM -0400, Joe Smith wrote:
>>In this case, the only PTC required is for the documentation.  Take a
>>look at 'cygpath --help', the option already exists.  It is just not in
>>the man page.
>
>I fail to see what he requested.  What he wanted was like 'cygpath -pf
>-' except that instead of using colons to seperate the path list,
>newlines were used.  I say this is probably a wontfix.

The OP didn't mention either the '-f' option or use the word "colon" in
his original email.

>Use of "cygpath -pf -|sed s/:/\\n/g" works fine for me.

It's not clear what you mean by "paths".  If you're expecting cygpath to
break up a UNIX PATH-like environment variable, then, using UNIX tools
to do this is the right way to handle it.  We're not going to add a
feature to cygpath to provide this simple function.

cgf