* Logger logs as user.notice
@ 2005-10-11 14:50 Jaime Saiz Santos
From: Jaime Saiz Santos @ 2005-10-11 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi.
I have two questions regarding syslog & logger in inetutils package:

1. logger command seems to ignore -p option: it behaves as if
"user.notice" were put always.

For instance:

$ cat /etc/syslog.conf
local3.*                /var/log/local3
user.notice                /var/log/user

$ net stop syslogd
$ net start syslogd
$ logger -p local3.info Some message

It writes the message in /var/log/user, instead of in /var/log/local3.
Am I doing something wrong?

2. A blank space is written between the tag and the colon in the output
message.

For instance:

Oct 11 16:45:00 mymachine mytag : Some text         instead of:
Oct 11 16:45:00 mymachine mytag: Some text

Is it standard?

Thank you very much,
Jaime

______________________
Gracias por su colaboracion.
______________________

* Re: Logger logs as user.notice
@ 2005-10-12  8:40 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2005-10-12  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Oct 11 16:51, Jaime Saiz Santos wrote:
> Hi.
> I have two questions regarding syslog & logger in inetutils package:
>

> 1. logger command seems to ignore -p option: it behaves as if
> "user.notice" were put always.
>
> For instance:
>
> $ cat /etc/syslog.conf
> local3.*                /var/log/local3
> user.notice                /var/log/user
>
> $ net stop syslogd
> $ net start syslogd
> $ logger -p local3.info Some message
>
> It writes the message in /var/log/user, instead of in /var/log/local3.
> Am I doing something wrong?

Nope.  Cygwin is doing something wrong.  Cygwin's syslog function fails
to send the facility and priority word to syslogd.  Fixed in CVS.

> 2. A blank space is written between the tag and the colon in the output
> message.
>
> For instance:
>
> Oct 11 16:45:00 mymachine mytag : Some text         instead of:
> Oct 11 16:45:00 mymachine mytag: Some text
>
> Is it standard?

No, it's not.  I removed the extra spaces from the output in CVS.

Thanks for the report,
Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Logger logs as user.notice
@ 2005-10-12 12:02   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2005-10-12 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Oct 12 10:40, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Oct 11 16:51, Jaime Saiz Santos wrote:
> > Hi.
> > I have two questions regarding syslog & logger in inetutils package:
> >

> > 1. logger command seems to ignore -p option: it behaves as if
> > "user.notice" were put always.
> >
> > For instance:
> >
> > $ cat /etc/syslog.conf
> > local3.*                /var/log/local3
> > user.notice                /var/log/user
> >
> > $ net stop syslogd
> > $ net start syslogd
> > $ logger -p local3.info Some message
> >
> > It writes the message in /var/log/user, instead of in /var/log/local3.
> > Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Nope.  Cygwin is doing something wrong.  Cygwin's syslog function fails
> to send the facility and priority word to syslogd.  Fixed in CVS.
>
> > 2. A blank space is written between the tag and the colon in the output
> > message.
> >
> > For instance:
> >
> > Oct 11 16:45:00 mymachine mytag : Some text         instead of:
> > Oct 11 16:45:00 mymachine mytag: Some text
> >
> > Is it standard?
>
> No, it's not.  I removed the extra spaces from the output in CVS.

...and both changes are available in the 11-Oct-2005 snapshot from
http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: Logger logs as user.notice
@ 2005-10-13  7:41 Jaime Saiz Santos
From: Jaime Saiz Santos @ 2005-10-13  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

 > ...and both changes are available in the 11-Oct-2005 snapshot from
 > http://cygwin.com/snapshots/

Thanks a lot for the quick response!
Jaime