* mlockall() and cygwin
@ 2005-10-13 11:04 Mohamed Amjed Ben Salah
From: Mohamed Amjed Ben Salah @ 2005-10-13 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,
I have a programm that runs very well under Linux. In
this program I use the function mlockall() and i have
a problem to compile it and to run it under cygwin,
because the function mlockall() is not implemented in
the actual version. Have someone idee how to solve
this problem?

Regards
Amjed

* Re: mlockall() and cygwin
@ 2005-10-13 11:36 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2005-10-13 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Oct 13 13:04, Mohamed Amjed Ben Salah wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a programm that runs very well under Linux. In
> this program I use the function mlockall() and i have
> a problem to compile it and to run it under cygwin,
> because the function mlockall() is not implemented in
> the actual version. Have someone idee how to solve
> this problem?

mlockall will probably never be implemented since there's no support
for it on user mode level in Win32.  There's support for something like
mlock/munlock, but only on NT and it's also not implemented in Cygwin.

Try building and running without calling mlockall.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: mlockall() and cygwin
@ 2005-10-13 12:11   ` Mohamed Amjed Ben Salah
From: Mohamed Amjed Ben Salah @ 2005-10-13 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

--- Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> a
écrit :

> On Oct 13 13:04, Mohamed Amjed Ben Salah wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I have a programm that runs very well under Linux.
> In
> > this program I use the function mlockall() and i
> have
> > a problem to compile it and to run it under
> cygwin,
> > because the function mlockall() is not implemented
> in
> > the actual version. Have someone idee how to solve
> > this problem?
>
> mlockall will probably never be implemented since
> there's no support
> for it on user mode level in Win32.  There's support
> for something like
> mlock/munlock, but only on NT and it's also not
> implemented in Cygwin.
>
> Try building and running without calling mlockall.
>

> Corinna
>
> --
> Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails
> regarding Cygwin to
> Cygwin Project Co-Leader          cygwin AT cygwin
> DOT com
> Red Hat, Inc.

Ist it possible to install eposix on cygwin, and then
to use mlockall() ? I saw the documentation of eposix,
and it seems implemented, but I never used eposix.

Regards
Amjed

* Re: mlockall() and cygwin
@ 2005-10-13 12:33     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2005-10-13 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR

> > mlockall will probably never be implemented since
> > there's no support
> > for it on user mode level in Win32.  There's support
> > for something like
> > mlock/munlock, but only on NT and it's also not
> > implemented in Cygwin.
> >
> > Try building and running without calling mlockall.
>
> Ist it possible to install eposix on cygwin, and then
> to use mlockall() ? I saw the documentation of eposix,
> and it seems implemented, but I never used eposix.

Er... how is that supposed to work?  eposix is just a library on top
of the underlying OS.  It's an eiffel binding for POSIX routines,
nothing else.  And apart from that, it doesn't even try to implement
mlockall.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: mlockall() and cygwin
@ 2005-10-13 14:50       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-10-13 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 02:33:27PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Oct 13 14:10, Mohamed Amjed Ben Salah wrote:
>> --- Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> a
>
>http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR
>
>> > mlockall will probably never be implemented since
>> > there's no support
>> > for it on user mode level in Win32.  There's support
>> > for something like
>> > mlock/munlock, but only on NT and it's also not
>> > implemented in Cygwin.
>> >
>> > Try building and running without calling mlockall.
>>
>> Ist it possible to install eposix on cygwin, and then
>> to use mlockall() ? I saw the documentation of eposix,
>> and it seems implemented, but I never used eposix.
>
>Er... how is that supposed to work?  eposix is just a library on top
>of the underlying OS.  It's an eiffel binding for POSIX routines,
>nothing else.  And apart from that, it doesn't even try to implement
>mlockall.

POSIX?

  POSIX?

    POSIX?!

cgf

* Re: mlockall() and cygwin
@ 2005-10-16 13:48       ` Mohamed Amjed Ben Salah
From: Mohamed Amjed Ben Salah @ 2005-10-16 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,
Is there any similar function in cygwin to avoid
pagging and provide real time ? I have cygwin on Win
XP.

Regards

écrit :

> On Oct 13 14:10, Mohamed Amjed Ben Salah wrote:
> > --- Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> a
>
> http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR
>
> > > mlockall will probably never be implemented
> since
> > > there's no support
> > > for it on user mode level in Win32.  There's
> support
> > > for something like
> > > mlock/munlock, but only on NT and it's also not
> > > implemented in Cygwin.
> > >
> > > Try building and running without calling
> mlockall.
> >
> > Ist it possible to install eposix on cygwin, and
> then
> > to use mlockall() ? I saw the documentation of
> eposix,
> > and it seems implemented, but I never used eposix.
>
> Er... how is that supposed to work?  eposix is just
> a library on top
> of the underlying OS.  It's an eiffel binding for
> POSIX routines,
> nothing else.  And apart from that, it doesn't even
> try to implement
> mlockall.
>

> Corinna
>
> --
> Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails
> regarding Cygwin to
> Cygwin Project Co-Leader          cygwin AT cygwin
> DOT com
> Red Hat, Inc.
>
> --
> Problem reports:
> http://cygwin.com/problems.html

* Re: mlockall() and cygwin
@ 2005-10-17  9:04         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2005-10-17  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Oct 16 15:47, Mohamed Amjed Ben Salah wrote:
> Hello,
> Is there any similar function in cygwin to avoid
> pagging and provide real time ? I have cygwin on Win
> XP.

Sorry, no.  If the application is only going to work on NT anyway,
have a look into the MSDN and see the man pages for VirtualLock and
SetProcessWorkingSetSize.

Otherwise, mlock and munlock still have to be implemented in Cygwin
(http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#SHTDI), mlockall/munlockall probably
never will.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.