* environment variables and ssh logins
@ 2008-04-18  1:09 Gary Johnson
From: Gary Johnson @ 2008-04-18  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have several environment variables defined in the Windows Control
Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables -> System
Variables list on my Windows XP box.  If I run a Cygwin bash login
shell locally on this machine, I can find all those environment
variables in the output of the env command.  However, if I ssh to
the same machine, several of those environment variables are missing
from my environment.

For example, PATH is in both environments and is the same except for
the extra :/bin component in the ssh version, and "CYGWIN=ntsec" is
in both.  However, PYTHONPATH is in the local environment but not in
the ssh environment.

Why are some but not all the environment variables defined in the
System dialog inherited by ssh logins?

Thanks,
Gary

* Re: environment variables and ssh logins
@ 2008-04-18  1:36 ` Gary Johnson
From: Gary Johnson @ 2008-04-18  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2008-04-17, Gary Johnson wrote:
> I have several environment variables defined in the Windows Control
> Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables -> System
> Variables list on my Windows XP box.  If I run a Cygwin bash login
> shell locally on this machine, I can find all those environment
> variables in the output of the env command.  However, if I ssh to
> the same machine, several of those environment variables are missing
> from my environment.
>
> For example, PATH is in both environments and is the same except for
> the extra :/bin component in the ssh version, and "CYGWIN=ntsec" is
> in both.  However, PYTHONPATH is in the local environment but not in
> the ssh environment.
>
> Why are some but not all the environment variables defined in the
> System dialog inherited by ssh logins?

P.S.

Yes, I have rebooted since setting PYTHONPATH.

@ 2008-04-18  2:10 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2008-04-18  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Johnson; +Cc: cygwin

Gary Johnson wrote:

> Why are some but not all the environment variables defined in the
> System dialog inherited by ssh logins?

Brian

* Re: environment variables and ssh logins
@ 2008-04-18  3:02   ` Gary Johnson
From: Gary Johnson @ 2008-04-18  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2008-04-17, Brian Dessent wrote:
> Gary Johnson wrote:
>
> > Why are some but not all the environment variables defined in the
> > System dialog inherited by ssh logins?
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-10/msg00729.html
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-11/msg00397.html
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2008-02/msg00386.html