* Re: Performance of 1.7
       [not found] <000601c8b12c$8cb7c3f0$a6274bd0$@com>
@ 2008-05-08 17:28 ` Rob Bosch
From: Rob Bosch @ 2008-05-08 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm not really using pipes since rsync and ssh spawn separate processes for
each connection. I am using pipes in some other places with cygwin so I'll
see if I notice the same performance improvements there.  It could be the
rewrite you did is having an impact somewhere beneath the covers that I'm
just not aware of as well.

Rob

* Re: Performance of 1.7
@ 2008-05-08 17:31   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-05-08 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 10:57:07AM -0600, Rob Bosch wrote:
>I'm not really using pipes since rsync and ssh spawn separate processes for
>each connection.

Doesn't rsync use pipes internally?

If it isn't that then maybe it's some of Corinna's socket I/O improvements.

cgf

* Re: Performance of 1.7
@ 2008-05-08 15:30   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-05-08 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 10:56:19PM -0600, Rob Bosch wrote:
>I've been testing cygwin 1.7 on Server 2008 with rsync.  First, the install
>went flawlessly.  I'm just using a standard path of E:\cygwin...no fstab
>issues.
>
>Compiling rsync worked without a hitch.  The rsync version is 3.02 with the
>preallocate patch applied.  The patch takes advantage of the posix_fallocate
>feature.
>
>There have been two major improvements I've seen with the 1.7 build on
>Server 2008:
>
>- The long file name errors that used to always be a problem are no longer
>there which is great news.
>- The overall I/O performance is much higher.  I don't have hard statistics
>but have been watching throughput on the SAN connected to the server.  With
>old cygwin and Server 2003 I was lucky to get sustained throughput of
>40M-50M.  Now I'm seeing throughput of 100M-120M all the time with bursts
>much higher.  It is possible the performance gain is helped by Server 2008
>as I have not attempted to run the old cygwin on 2008 for a true comparison.
>I think a lot of it is also in the cygwin version since I'm sending the
>email to that list. :)
>
>Sorry I don't have any more hard data as we continue testing 1.7. Thought
>I'd at least let you know some of the nice things I'm seeing.

If you're using pipes in any capacity I would expect that you'd see some
improvement in throughput since I rewrote the I/O handling there to remove
the old head-standing which was necessary for Windows 9x.

cgf

* Performance of 1.7
       [not found] <001701c8b0c7$da780ba0$8f6822e0$@com>
@ 2008-05-08 12:02 ` Rob Bosch