* cygwin virtual user
@ 2008-05-13 13:21 Jaspreet Singh
From: Jaspreet Singh @ 2008-05-13 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

just a qus?

can we create virtual user in /etc/passwd file

like for real user entry is

test:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:real_UID:real_GID:name,U-PC\test,real_SID:/home/test:/bin/bash

Now above is the real userstring for real user 'test'. can i create a virtual user in cygwin /etc/passwd with values of real user 'test'.

like for virtual user entry is

XXXX:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:real_UID:real_GID:name,U-PC\test,real_SID:/home/XXXX:/bin/false

you can see that only login name, home dir and shell is changed.

now i just want to know that how can XXXX login with /bin/bash, that doesn't matter. Real thing i want to know is that does this will work with ssh and telnet if i change shell to be /bin/bash and does it work with UW-IMAP, proftpd and UW-POP. like they recognize this user as a real user.

Anybody got any idea ?

Hey i got something else for cygwin users. I create perl script's for useradd, userdel, usermod, groupadd, groupmod and groupdel that works fine on windows XP sp2 (My System). It can also create user and group with same name. Code is really messy as i am newbi to perl. just started perl 4 days ago.

Anybody like to try it.

      Best Jokes, Best Friends, Best Food and more. Go to http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/bestofyahoo/

* Re: cygwin virtual user
@ 2008-05-13 13:58 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-05-13 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On May 13 18:35, Jaspreet Singh wrote:
> just a qus?
>
> can we create virtual user in /etc/passwd file
>
> like for real user entry is
>
> test:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:real_UID:real_GID:name,U-PC\test,real_SID:/home/test:/bin/bash
>
> Now above is the real userstring for real user 'test'. can i create a virtual user in cygwin /etc/passwd with values of real user 'test'.
>
> like for virtual user entry is
>
> XXXX:unused_by_nt/2000/xp:real_UID:real_GID:name,U-PC\test,real_SID:/home/XXXX:/bin/false
>
> you can see that only login name, home dir and shell is changed.
>
> now i just want to know that how can XXXX login with /bin/bash, that doesn't matter. Real thing i want to know is that does this will work with ssh and telnet if i change shell to be /bin/bash and does it work with UW-IMAP, proftpd and UW-POP. like they recognize this user as a real user.
>
> Anybody got any idea ?

Did you read http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-sids ?

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: cygwin virtual user
@ 2008-05-13 15:19   ` Jaspreet Singh
From: Jaspreet Singh @ 2008-05-13 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

ok now i created virtual user with 'test' username. login and proftpd works and i can guess sshd and others work too.

So username, UID, GID, first part of gcos like name of user, home directory and shell can be changed believe me.

just 1 qus? more

How to give some different password to virtual user as it only accepts password of same SID, last part of gcos ????

Anybody ??????????????????

Now perl scripts also have virtualuser command to create virtual user with some real user SID.

      Download prohibited? No problem. CHAT from any browser, without download. Go to http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php/

* Re: cygwin virtual user
@ 2008-05-13 15:26     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-05-13 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On May 13 20:35, Jaspreet Singh wrote:
> ok now i created virtual user with 'test' username. login and proftpd works and i can guess sshd and others work too.
>
> So username, UID, GID, first part of gcos like name of user, home directory and shell can be changed believe me.
>
> just 1 qus? more
>
> How to give some different password to virtual user as it only accepts password of same SID, last part of gcos ????

That won't work.  It's still the same underlying Windows user with the
same Windows password.  That should be clear from using the same SID.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: cygwin virtual user
@ 2008-05-13 15:30       ` Jaspreet Singh
From: Jaspreet Singh @ 2008-05-13 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

you got any other idea how to chnage password.

what about if i change unused_by_nt/XP/Pro

@ 2008-05-13 15:41         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-05-13 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On May 13 20:56, Jaspreet Singh wrote:
> you got any other idea how to chnage password.
>
> what about if i change unused_by_nt/XP/Pro

No.  It's "unused".

Corinna

Red Hat