* Apache2 under Cygwin on Vista
@ 2008-06-23  8:08 Etchelecu, Steve J
From: Etchelecu, Steve J @ 2008-06-23  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm running Cygwin on Vista (32-bit Business) with reasonably good
success.  (why vista? = long, somewhat painful, story)

cygcheck version 1.90.4.1
System Checker for Cygwin

Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version            Status
apache2              2.2.6-1            OK
cygrunsrv            1.34-1             OK
cygwin               1.5.25-14          OK

Everything is working well since a recent Cygwin update but now I'd like
to bring up the Apache web server.  Previously under Cygwin on XP I had
done this and found that I needed to:

1.	cygserver-config
2.	start cygserver windows service
3.	export CYGWIN=server
4.	apachectl2 -k start

Under Vista I find that I'm having trouble with the whole cygserver
thing.  In order to run cygserver-config I need to 'Run As
Administrator' and to start the cygserver service I need to 'Run As
Administrator' but then when I start apache2 it can't see the running
cygserver.  If I skip/ignore the whole cygserver thing then apache2
won't start with 'bad system call' message.

This is a bit of a mess.  Does anyone know if there is a way to get
apache2 running under Cygwin on Vista?  I only want to run it for some
light development work and only need it running while I'm actively
developing.  No unattended service operation or anything like that.

Thanks!
Steve

* Re: Apache2 under Cygwin on Vista
@ 2008-06-23  8:32 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-06-23  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun 23 01:04, Etchelecu, Steve J wrote:
> Under Vista I find that I'm having trouble with the whole cygserver
> thing.  In order to run cygserver-config I need to 'Run As
> Administrator' and to start the cygserver service I need to 'Run As
> Administrator' but then when I start apache2 it can't see the running
> cygserver.  If I skip/ignore the whole cygserver thing then apache2

In Cygwin 1.5, you can see the processes of other users only when
running as administrator, too.  That's caused by a restriction in
Windows introduced with Windows 2003.  Cygwin 1.7 will solve this
problem.

> won't start with 'bad system call' message.

When running the application, it needs to have the CYGWIN environment
variable set to "server".

See http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html and the file
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/cygserver.README, chapter "How to use the
Cygserver services".

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Apache2 under Cygwin on Vista
@ 2009-01-19 17:42   ` mturner
From: mturner @ 2009-01-19 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On 01/19/2009, Myron Turner wrote:
>> So, I assume, cygserver is not working or not working properly.  I do
>> have
>> the CYGWIN environment variable set to server:
>>     $ set | grep server
>>     CYGWIN=server
>
> And you set this before starting any Cygwin processes (including
> services)?
>
> --
> Larry Hall                              http://www.rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc.                      (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
> 216 Dalton Rd.                          (508) 893-9889 - FAX
> Holliston, MA 01746

Yes.  I was aware of this because I have everything running on XP.

* Re: Apache2 under Cygwin on Vista
@ 2009-01-19 16:42 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2009-01-19 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2009-01-19 16:14 Myron Turner
From: Myron Turner @ 2009-01-19 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

In June of last year, there was a brief thread with the above subject.
I found it in the archive at:
      http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2008-06/msg00459.html

I am having similar problems getting apache to run on a new laptop that
comes with vista. The only difference is that I am running the 64 bit
Home premium version of Vista, not the 32 bit Business version.  Like
the above writer, I too have had cygwin apache running on XP.

There are two problems in Vista: the first is getting cygserver to run
as a service; the second is to get the apache server to run using
apachectl2.

With a great deal of mucking about,I managed to get cygserver to run as
a service.  That is, it appears in the services panel and can be started
(but not stopped) from the services panel. But when I try to start
apache, I get this message:
           3380 Bad system call         $HTTPD -k $ARGV
So, I assume, cygserver is not working or not working properly.  I do
have the CYGWIN environment variable set to server:
	$ set | grep server
	CYGWIN=server

I got cygserver to run as a service by turning off the User Account
Controls, and then changing the permissions of both cygrunsrv and
cygserver to admin, using the compatibility tabs of their properties
panels.

Any help would be appreciated.

Myron Turner