* Re: Freeze with the letter "e"
@ 2008-07-17  2:29 jrsyangl
From: jrsyangl @ 2008-07-17  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: markjreed

I have not been able to post to the list for some reason so I hope this gets
through. The problem does not seem to be simply one having to do with CRLF,
or the letter e. The problem occurs even after using dos2unix. The problem
occurs when the editing is done with SciTe (with LF returns) and with vim.
If an echo command is inserted in .inputrc, the problem is with the letter
e; for date, the letter d; and for pwd the letter p. I have not run through
the rest of the alphabet. # comment lines cause no problem. If  I source
.inputrc, the commands (echo, etc) run fine. I saw a similar problem posted
on a ubuntu forum, but no solution. My Google and other searches have not
been helpful. Any help would be appreciated.

Lou

Mark, I hope you do not mind that I am CCing this to you. I think cygwin
thinks I am a spammer for some reason and has been blocking me.

* Re: Freeze with the letter "e"
@ 2008-07-17  2:48 ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2008-07-17  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, jrsy.angl

* Re: Freeze with the letter "e"
@ 2008-07-17  3:03   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-07-17  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 08:47:41PM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
>According to jrsyangl on 7/16/2008 8:29 PM:
>>I have not been able to post to the list for some reason so I hope this
>>gets through.  The problem does not seem to be simply one having to do
>>with CRLF, or the letter e.  The problem occurs even after using
>>dos2unix.  The problem occurs when the editing is done with SciTe (with
>>LF returns) and with vim.  If an echo command is inserted in .inputrc,
>>the problem is with the letter e; for date, the letter d; and for pwd
>>the letter p.  I have not run through the rest of the alphabet.
>
>And there's your problem.  That is not the proper syntax for a .inputrc
>file (it is NOT for shell commands, but for readline commands, which
>have an entirely different syntax).  Read 'man readline'.  By starting
>a line with 'echo', you tried to define a macro for the key 'e',
>explaining why 'e' did nothing for you.

Yep.  That's the other common problem with .inputrc.  CRLF line endings
are the most common reason for this behavior but the misinterpretation
of what is supposed to be in .inputrc is the common reason.  You don't
put shell commands in .inputrc.  That's not what it is for.

cgf

* Re: Freeze with the letter "e"
@ 2008-07-17  3:24     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-07-17  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:03:31PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>Yep.  That's the other common problem with .inputrc.  CRLF line endings
>are the most common reason for this behavior but the misinterpretation
>of what is supposed to be in .inputrc is the common reason.
                                             ^
                                            other

* Re: Freeze with the letter
@ 2008-07-17 20:55   ` Lou Umscheid
From: Lou Umscheid @ 2008-07-17 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Eric Blake <ebb9 <at> byu.net> writes:

> And there's your problem.  That is not the proper syntax for a .inputrc
> file (it is NOT for shell commands, but for readline commands, which have
> an entirely different syntax).  Read 'man readline'.  By starting a line
> with 'echo', you tried to define a macro for the key 'e', explaining why
> 'e' did nothing for you.
>
> --
> Don't work too hard, make some time for fun as well!
>
> Eric Blake             ebb9 <at> byu.net
> volunteer cygwin readline maintainer

Thank you for the solution. Of course now I feel silly for what I did. I've
been away from *nix for over 10 years, so I guess that makes me an old-newbie.
On to the next problem.
Lou

* Re: Freeze with the letter "e"
@ 2008-07-17  3:14             ` Paul Newell
From: Paul Newell @ 2008-07-17  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: pnewell

I wish I could say "you caught me" when commenting that I am trying to
get someone else to do the work for me, but Goggle-ing with your
suggestions didn't really provide an answer except to clarify that it
wasn't the letter 'e' ... which was the red herring that had me curious
enough to take the bait.

Full disclosure, I did not try the Google before I sent my question and,
yes, that was lazy of me.

Eric Blake's later reply gave me a better clue as to what might be
happening, thanks.

I've seen the dos vs linux/unix CRLF before but only as a visual
ickyness inside vim or a caveat when parsing on '\n' expecting a '\0'
after ... and use dos2unix / unix2dos often. Compiles seem to work under
RHEL/Fedora gcc and MS VisualStudio without problem, which is the
majority of interaction between the two along with vim.

I had never heard of the problem jrsyangl described. The "very strange
results" that Sam Hanes referred to just haven't come up in my
experience. I'm now more aware of possible issues.

Appreciate all the replies.
Paul

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 02:33:08PM -0400, Mark J. Reed wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:03 PM, Sam Hanes <elemecca@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I think what he's trying to say
>>>
>> In  Mr. Faylor's his own inimitable way...
>>

> ...he was trying to get someone off their butt to figure it out for
> themselves since it is very far from being a complicated subject and it
> has been discussed before.  google is your friend.  The mailing list
> archives are your friend.
>
> .inputrc shouldn't have CRLF line endings since it causes problems with
> several applications.  I am not cruelly withholding the list of
> applications.  I doubt that anyone has a list.  Just don't use MS-DOS
> line endings in files that are designed to be used on UNIX.
>
> cgf
>
> --

* Re: Freeze with the letter "e"
@ 2008-07-17  0:55           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-07-17  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2008-07-16 18:33         ` Mark J. Reed
From: Mark J. Reed @ 2008-07-16 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:03 PM, Sam Hanes <elemecca@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think what he's trying to say

In  Mr. Faylor's his own inimitable way...

> is that having DOS-style (CR-LF) line
> endings in a *NIX-style file (which uses LF line endings) can have
> very strange results

Apparently!

I've seen several threads on this list about similar problems, some of
which seemed to affect only specific readline-aware applications (e.g.
gnupg) and not others.  Which makes me curious about the specific
types of entries which could have such an effect when altered by the
insertion of a CR. My own .inputrc has never gotten more complicated
than "set editing-mode vi", so I'm admittedly pretty ignorant of the
general realm of inputrc parameters, but seeing an example of one of
the offending files might be educational.

--
Mark J. Reed <markjreed@gmail.com>

* Re: Freeze with the letter "e"
@ 2008-07-16 18:03       ` Sam Hanes
From: Sam Hanes @ 2008-07-16 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Paul Newell wrote:
>>
>> Since jrsyangl hasn't written back on this one, I have to take the bait and
>> ask "why CRLF and the lowercase 'e'?".
>>

> Check the archives with google:
>
> CRLF .inputrc site:cygwin.com
>
> Hint:  It has nothing to do with 'the letter "e"'.
>
> Hint:  This is Cygwin.  It emulates UNIX(tm).  Does UNIX like CRLF line endings?

I think what he's trying to say is that having DOS-style (CR-LF) line
endings in a *NIX-style file (which uses LF line endings) can have
very strange results, especially involving entries near the end of
lines. It should be noted that this is only true if you told setup.exe
to use *NIX-style line endings. If you told it to use DOS-style line
endings, you'll get the same problem if the file is *NIX-style.

The gist of it: If it expects LF and sees CR-LF you have problems, and
vice-versa.

You can convert between the two styles with `dos2unix` and `unix2dos`.

-- Sam Hanes
elemecca AT gmail DOT com

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to
undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made,
and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward towards the
light; but the laden traveler may never reach the end of it.
- Ursula K. Le Guin; The Tombs of Atuan

* Re: Freeze with the letter "e"
@ 2008-07-16 14:54     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-07-16 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2008-07-16  5:02   ` Paul Newell
From: Paul Newell @ 2008-07-16  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: pnewell

Since jrsyangl hasn't written back on this one, I have to take the bait
and ask "why CRLF and the lowercase 'e'?".

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 04:21:16PM -0400, jrsyangl wrote:
>

>> Whenever I try to enter the letter "e", and only for "e" (other letters,
>> "E"
>>

> Your .inputrc file probably has CRLF line endings.
>
> cgf
>
> --

* Re: Freeze with the letter "e"
@ 2008-07-14 20:33 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2008-07-14 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 04:21:16PM -0400, jrsyangl wrote:

> Whenever I try to enter the letter "e", and only for "e" (other letters,
> "E"

Your .inputrc file probably has CRLF line endings.

cgf

* Freeze with the letter "e"
@ 2008-07-14 20:21 jrsyangl
From: jrsyangl @ 2008-07-14 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)