* Running 'runas' from a console
@ 2009-01-01 20:46 Angelo Graziosi
From: Angelo Graziosi @ 2009-01-01 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: andy.koppe

I have seen that running

$ runas /user:pippo "C:\cygwin\bin\bash --login -i"

works if it is given from Cygwin.bat console, i.e. it asks the password
for 'pippo' and then it opens a pippo's Cygwin.bat-like console.

Instead it doesn't work when one uses another console like xterm, urxvt,
rxvt, mrxvt and... the recent MinTTY, i.e. it seems to exit silently
(but 'ps' shows that there is yet some process running).

I have flagged this because it would be fine to have MinTTY instead of
Cygwin.bat, but at the moment it looks that there is something that runs
on Cygwin.bat but not in other consoles.

Cheers,
    Angelo.

* Re: Running 'runas' from a console
@ 2009-01-02  4:42 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2009-01-02  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 09:45:47PM +0100, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
>I have seen that running
>
>$ runas /user:pippo "C:\cygwin\bin\bash --login -i"
>
>works if it is given from Cygwin.bat console, i.e.  it asks the
>password for 'pippo' and then it opens a pippo's Cygwin.bat-like
>console.
>
>Instead it doesn't work when one uses another console like xterm,
>urxvt, rxvt, mrxvt and...  the recent MinTTY, i.e.  it seems to exit
>silently (but 'ps' shows that there is yet some process running).
>
>I have flagged this because it would be fine to have MinTTY instead of
>Cygwin.bat, but at the moment it looks that there is something that
>runs on Cygwin.bat but not in other consoles.

It's a standard problem with Cygwin ptys not being recognized as windows
consoles.

cgf