* xterm and cut & paste
@ 2009-01-01 22:12 Brian Salter-Duke
From: Brian Salter-Duke @ 2009-01-01 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

This may have a simple answer but I can not find it. I have been using
xterm in cygwin for some time. Recently I updated and it gave me a new
different xterm. I have grown to like it, but there is one problem that
was not there in the old version. Cut and paste works fine fine within
the xterm using highlight for cut and the middle mouse button for paste.
However it does not work in and out of xterm. If I use ^C to cut a
section in a web page, I can not paste it into the xterm. Similarly I
can not copy say a URL from the xterm into Firefox. What am I missing?

Happy New Year to all, Brian.
--
       Brian Salter-Duke          Melbourne, Australia
     My real address is b_duke(AT)bigpond(DOT)net(DOT)au

* Re: xterm and cut & paste
@ 2009-01-02  4:42 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2009-01-02  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 10:11:43PM +0000, Brian Salter-Duke wrote:
>This may have a simple answer but I can not find it.

Have you tried the FAQ at x.cygwin.com?

cgf

* Re: xterm and cut & paste
@ 2009-01-03 15:10       ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2009-01-03 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:

> PS: File drag and drop is total coolness.  It pastes in a Win32 path though,
> which a few Cygwin apps probably won't be able to handle.  Here's a
> two-for-one idea, free of charge:
>
> - Add a setting where the user can set whether he wants Win32 or POSIXy
> paths dropped.
> - Add a context menu when you right-drop which allows you to "Drop path as
> Win32" or "Drop path as POSIX".

I like the second idea, because this is something you'd want to decide
on a case-by-case basis. But that would mean descending into the depths
of COM/OLE again (shudder). Issue 21.

Andy

* RE: xterm and cut & paste
@ 2009-01-03 12:06     ` Gary R. Van Sickle
From: Gary R. Van Sickle @ 2009-01-03 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> From: Andy Koppe
>
> Brian Salter-Duke wrote:
> > On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 06:56:23 +0000, Fergus
> >> Include -clipboard as an option for XWin.
> >> e.g.
> >>    run XWin -clipboard -nolisten local -multiwindow 2>nul
> & and then
> >> selected text in xterm is automatically copied to the
> clipboard for
> >> onward pasting.
> >> Fergus
> >
> > Thanks for that. I find X very confusing and mainly just
> want a simple
> > xterm to run mutt, slrn and unix like-codes.
>
> Fancy giving MinTTY a try? It is (or at least attempts to be)
> compatible with xterm, but it's a native Win32 program, i.e.
> X is not required.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/mintty
>
> Andy

And best of all, it's MinTTY fresh, not MedicineTTY.

ME = STILL GOT IT. ;-)

@ 2009-01-03 11:31   ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2009-01-03 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2009-01-02 22:10 ` Brian Salter-Duke
From: Brian Salter-Duke @ 2009-01-02 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 06:56:23 +0000, Fergus <fergus@bonhard.uklinux.net> wrote:
> Include -clipboard as an option for XWin.
> e.g.
>    run XWin -clipboard -nolisten local -multiwindow 2>nul &
> and then selected text in xterm is automatically copied to the clipboard
> for onward pasting.
> Fergus

Thanks for that. I find X very confusing and mainly just want a simple
xterm to run mutt, slrn and unix like-codes. I think I may have a messed
up system with not having a clean upgrade to the latest X. I was using
startx and I can not see where XWin is called there. Maybe I'm blind. I
am now using startswin.bat and I've played with startxwin.sh. That
clearly calls XWin and I have the -blipboard argument in and it works
fine.  However the -multiwindow causes an error and it just gives an
xterm, but that is fine for now. I'll look into that later.

Cheers, Brian.
--

@ 2009-01-02  6:57 Fergus