* Re: How do I shut down Cygwin cleanly?
@ 2009-01-15  0:08 john.hunter
From: john.hunter @ 2009-01-15  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: john.hunter

Thanks Larry, but I'm loath to waste space on this and other lists, and also
people's time by listing any of the knock-on effects of not terminating all
Cygwin processes (and resetting locks etc.) prior to firing up Cygwin again -
it seems reasonable to me that these effects would exist (I've experienced
them) but it also seems largely irrelevant to my present question to discuss
them. This is not a bug report - it is a "howto" request.

So I'll summarise my original post into a single question:

When running the latest version of Cygwin on Windows XP, what is the best simple
way of terminating all Cygwin processes, and resetting XP to effectively the
same state as it was before Cygwin was started?

+ PLEASE NOTE: I ONLY READ EMAILS ONCE PER DAY SO RESPONSE WILL NOT BE +
+ IMMEDIATE. FOR TRULY URGENT ISSUES PLEASE PHONE ME. THANK YOU.       +
+                                                                      +
+ John Hunter,                                Tel. (work) 03 6226 7849 +
+ Antarctic Climate & Ecosystems              Tel. (home) 03 6234 8391 +
+ Cooperative Research Centre,                Mobile      0427 098 831 +
+ University of Tasmania,                     Fax.        03 6226 2440 +
+ Private Bag 80,                 email (work) john.hunter@utas.edu.au +
+ Hobart, Tasmania          email (private) johnroberthunter@gmail.com +
+ Australia                       http://staff.acecrc.org.au/~johunter +
+                                                                      +

* Re: How do I shut down Cygwin cleanly?
@ 2009-01-15  0:33 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2009-01-15  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

john.hunter@utas.edu.au wrote:
> Thanks Larry, but I'm loath to waste space on this and other lists, and also
> people's time by listing any of the knock-on effects of not terminating all
> Cygwin processes (and resetting locks etc.) prior to firing up Cygwin again -
> it seems reasonable to me that these effects would exist (I've experienced
> them) but it also seems largely irrelevant to my present question to discuss
> them. This is not a bug report - it is a "howto" request.
>
> So I'll summarise my original post into a single question:
>
> When running the latest version of Cygwin on Windows XP, what is the best simple
> way of terminating all Cygwin processes, and resetting XP to effectively the
> same state as it was before Cygwin was started?

It depends on what you're running.  If you've just started a Cygwin shell or
shells, exiting them is enough.  If you have a Cygwin service or services
running, then you must stop them (with 'cygrunsrv --stop' or 'net stop').
If you have X running, you must exit X (typically through the menu on the
X taskbar item).  If you have a combination of these running, then you
must do some combination of them.  This will return you to a state where
cygwin1.dll is not loaded anymore, which is the same process state
relative to Cygwin as you were before you started any of them.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: How do I shut down Cygwin cleanly?
@ 2009-01-15  3:39 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2009-01-15  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 10:37:09AM +1100, john.hunter@utas.edu.au wrote:

>Thanks Larry, but I'm loath to waste space on this and other lists, and also
>people's time by listing any of the knock-on effects of not terminating all
>Cygwin processes (and resetting locks etc.) prior to firing up Cygwin again -
>it seems reasonable to me that these effects would exist (I've experienced
>them) but it also seems largely irrelevant to my present question to discuss
>them. This is not a bug report - it is a "howto" request.
>
>So I'll summarise my original post into a single question:
>
>When running the latest version of Cygwin on Windows XP, what is the best simple
>way of terminating all Cygwin processes, and resetting XP to effectively the
>same state as it was before Cygwin was started?

Cygwin processes are just windows processes and they are diverse.  If
you want to stop a running process you use whatever mechanism that
process requires for shutdown.  There is no one method to properly shut
down a process on either Windows, Cygwin, or Linux.

If you want to use a brute force technique then you could "kill ; kill -9"
every process that you see by running "ps".  That could have all sorts
of unpleasant side-effects, however.

To summarize:  There is no one method to accomplish what you seem to
be asking.

cgf

* Re: How do I shut down Cygwin cleanly?
@ 2009-01-14 17:17 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2009-01-14 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

johunter@postoffice.utas.edu.au wrote:
> I can find no recent discussion of how to cleanly shut down Cygwin - by
> this I mean shutting down all Cygwin processes, but not the Windows
> operating system (in my case XP). Not cleanly shutting down Cygwin
> processes tends to invoke Windows error messages on starting up Cygwin (I
> use the X startup script startxwin.bat) and sometimes a failure to
> generate an X-window from startxwin.bat (which then has to be called
> again - generally successfully). "Shutting down" Cygwin by just closing
> all Cygwin windows does not seem to be a satisfactory option - other
> things are clearly going on in the background.

If your question really is directed just at Cygwin-X, you're probably
better off sending it to the cygwin-xfree list.  If you're experiencing
issues beyond that of X, then it would be helpful to anyone here who can
help to list those issues.

Holliston, MA 01746

* How do I shut down Cygwin cleanly?
@ 2009-01-14 16:24 johunter
From: johunter @ 2009-01-14 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: john.hunter

I can find no recent discussion of how to cleanly shut down Cygwin - by
this I mean shutting down all Cygwin processes, but not the Windows
operating system (in my case XP). Not cleanly shutting down Cygwin
processes tends to invoke Windows error messages on starting up Cygwin (I
use the X startup script startxwin.bat) and sometimes a failure to
generate an X-window from startxwin.bat (which then has to be called
again - generally successfully). "Shutting down" Cygwin by just closing
all Cygwin windows does not seem to be a satisfactory option - other
things are clearly going on in the background.

This problem was discussed briefly back in 2002 ("cyqwin shutdown script
(Re: 'shutdown', games)" and "My shutdown script - it works!") where
Chuck Messenger and Paul McFerrin presented their own scripts for solving
this problem. I've tried Chuck Messenger's script, which works sometimes,
but at others seems to fire up a process which takes over the CPU and
never terminates. Paul McFerrin's script seems to have been written to
cope with Win98. Bearing in mind that these solutions are now 7 years
old, that XP has come into common use since then and Vista will be in
common use soon, are their any more modern solutions to this problem, and
ones that are reasonably widely accepted among the Cygwin community?

John Hunter,
Antarctic Climate & Ecosystems Cooperative Research Centre,
Private Bag 80, Hobart, Tas. 7001

Ph: 03 6226 7849
Fax: 03 6226 2440
Mob: 04 2709 8831