* Hosting the Debian/kCygwin port?
@ 2009-01-20  0:08 Sjors Gielen
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Sjors Gielen @ 2009-01-20  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: debian-devel, cygwin

Hey lists,

I'm working on a project porting the Debian tools to Cygwin. Currently,
my plan is to:
- Provide some required patches to the Cygwin team, for example to allow
a file in use to be removed or modified, since this is required for dpkg
- Re-compile all packages and patches currently available for Cygwin
into a Debian .deb
- Provide either a way to bootstrap Debian onto an existing Cygwin
installation, or provide installers for a pure Debian/kCygwin installation.

Now I'm wondering where to host this project. I've been thinking about
three locations: Sourceforge, Debian or Cygwin. I've filed a project
takeover request for Sourceforge, but the original project admin seems
to work against me a little and it doesn't seem "fit" to release there.

Since the largest part of the project would be the packages in their new
Debian source and binary forms, I at least need an apt repository. The
Debian project already has the structure for that, but the Cygwin
packages are different from their Debian counterparts (think patches),
and I'm not sure how that happens with other ports. debian-devel, is
this a problem?

Also, I don't know if the Cygwin team may be willing to host this
project. They have their own packages and manager, and may not be
willing to host this alternative, even if it works great in a few weeks
time. Cygwin list, what do you think?

Thanks,
Sjors

* Re: Hosting the Debian/kCygwin port?
@ 2009-01-21 21:51 Salokine Terata
From: Salokine Terata @ 2009-01-21 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Maybe you could document your works on http://wiki.debian.org/Kernel ?

Look at Debian/kFreeBSD for example.

Best regards.
Salokine.

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 02:24:15PM +0100, Sjors Gielen wrote:
> Tzafrir Cohen schreef:
>> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 12:49:29AM +0100, Sjors Gielen wrote:
>>>I'm working on a project porting the Debian tools to Cygwin.
>>>Currently, my plan is to: - Provide some required patches to the Cygwin
>>>team, for example to allow a file in use to be removed or modified,
>>>since this is required for dpkg - Re-compile all packages and patches
>>>currently available for Cygwin into a Debian .deb - Provide either a
>>>way to bootstrap Debian onto an existing Cygwin installation, or
>>>provide installers for a pure Debian/kCygwin installation.
>>Which libc do you intend to use?  Cygwin uses newc, IIRC, but I can't
>>find it packaged in Debian so far.
>
>As far as I understand it now, newlib is packed along with Cygwin
>itself in cygwin1.dll.  I'm thinking of a package libcygwin1, which
>will contain this (and maybe other) dlls.  This package will just be
>created in the process of getting Debian to work on Cygwin :)

I think that no one answered your original question.  We are not interested
in hosting your project at sourceware.org and discussion of it in this
mailing list is not really on-topic for the Cywgin list.  The Cygwin
mailing list is for discussion about the cygwin release that is hosted
at the cygwin web site.

Feel free to send a follow-up message with a pointer to the mailing list
where you will be continuing any discussion about this topic.  I would
appreciate it if further discussion was directed there.

cgf