* New to cygwin
@ 2007-11-26 17:59 Tomasz Jankowski
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Tomasz Jankowski @ 2007-11-26 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello!

I'm completely new to cygwin (and generally to programming for the MS
Windows too). I'm working on a library and I need to use some socket
API in it. I decided to prepare port for win32, but it's much harder,
that I thought.
I found, that cygwin can make my life easier, especially a DLL
provided by you. Generally I need cygwin only for network related
functionality, for rest I use GLib.
I have a few questions:
1. I found, that functions like sendmsg and recvmsg are available in
cygwin, is it true?
2. What about IPv6, is it available in cygwin?
3. Does cygwin in some way support some other socket options, that win32 do?
4. How does  the performance look? Will my library have really poorer
performance if I use cygwin instead of winsock API?

--
Cya!
Tom

* RE: New to cygwin
@ 2007-11-26 19:20 ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2007-11-26 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 26 November 2007 17:35, Tomasz Jankowski wrote:

> 1. I found, that functions like sendmsg and recvmsg are available in
> cygwin, is it true?

  Yep.

> 2. What about IPv6, is it available in cygwin?

  Nope, not yet, but it's under active development at the moment.

> 3. Does cygwin in some way support some other socket options, that win32 do?

  It supports the berkeley sockets API, but relies on the features of the underlying OS to implement it, so it cannot do anything that windows itself does not support (though it may be it more or less easy to access certain functionality using one API or the other).

> 4. How does  the performance look? Will my library have really poorer
> performance if I use cygwin instead of winsock API?

  There is a bit of overhead, but not a great deal; most of cygwin's implementations of the berkeley sockets APIs are just fairly thin wrappers around calls to the underlying winsock functionality that is used to implement them.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: New to cygwin
@ 2007-11-26 19:34   ` Tomasz Jankowski
From: Tomasz Jankowski @ 2007-11-26 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

One more question, does anyone tried to build sctplib using cygwin?
Here is link to page with source code I'm talking about:

http://www.sctp.de/sctp-download.html

The most important for me is package named 'socketapi', because it
provides API documented in set of RFC documents about SCTP protocol
API. I have talked with sctplib developers and they said that so far
none had tried to build it for win32.

--
Cya!
Tom

* Re: New to cygwin
@ 2007-11-27  3:20 ` Erich Dollansky
From: Erich Dollansky @ 2007-11-27  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Tomasz Jankowski wrote:

> I'm completely new to cygwin (and generally to programming for the MS
> Windows too). I'm working on a library and I need to use some socket
> API in it. I decided to prepare port for win32, but it's much harder,
> that I thought.

the basic socket API of Windows and cygwin is the same based on Berkeley.

I would not recommend to use cygwin if you want to write a plain Windows
program.

I would recommend to use cygwin if you want to write a program for
multiple platforms.

> 4. How does  the performance look? Will my library have really poorer
> performance if I use cygwin instead of winsock API?

This is a minor problem for thinks like this.

What is your programming background?

Erich

* Re: New to cygwin
@ 2007-11-27 18:27   ` Tomasz Jankowski
From: Tomasz Jankowski @ 2007-11-27 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

2007/11/27, Erich Dollansky <oceanare@pacific.net.sg>:

> I would recommend to use cygwin if you want to write a program for
> multiple platforms.
That is what I'm going to do.

> What is your programming background?
Sorry I don't understand this question? What do mean by "background"? :(

--
Cya!
Tom

* Re: New to cygwin
@ 2007-11-27 22:49     ` Thorsten Kampe
From: Thorsten Kampe @ 2007-11-27 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

* Tomasz Jankowski (Tue, 27 Nov 2007 17:36:16 +0100)
> 2007/11/27, Erich Dollansky <oceanare@pacific.net.sg>:
> > I would recommend to use cygwin if you want to write a program for
> > multiple platforms.
> That is what I'm going to do.
>
> > What is your programming background?
> Sorry I don't understand this question? What do mean by
> "background"? :(

"experience"...

Thorsten

* Re: New to cygwin
@ 2007-11-28  1:14     ` joekrahn
From: joekrahn @ 2007-11-28  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Tomasz Jankowski wrote:

> One more question, does anyone tried to build sctplib using cygwin?
> Here is link to page with source code I'm talking about:
>
> http://www.sctp.de/sctp-download.html
>
> The most important for me is package named 'socketapi', because it
> provides API documented in set of RFC documents about SCTP protocol
> API. I have talked with sctplib developers and they said that so far
> none had tried to build it for win32.
>
> --
> Cya!
> Tom

This is the very sort of thing that Cygwin was made for: using standard
POSIX code under Windows. In many cases, code can be compiled with no
changes at all. The end result is that you will have a bit of extra overhead
and a dependency on Cygwin, in exchange for very little programming effort,
and benefit from future improvements to the original library.

Joe Krahn

* Re: New to cygwin
@ 2007-11-28  7:31     ` Erich Dollansky
From: Erich Dollansky @ 2007-11-28  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

Tomasz Jankowski wrote:
> 2007/11/27, Erich Dollansky <oceanare@pacific.net.sg>:
>> I would recommend to use cygwin if you want to write a program for
>> multiple platforms.
> That is what I'm going to do.
>
>> What is your programming background?
> Sorry I don't understand this question? What do mean by "background"? :(

C, Pascal ..

Unix, Windows ...

Erich

* Re: New to cygwin
@ 2009-02-02 10:48 ` sarshh
From: sarshh @ 2009-02-02 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi, can any one please guide me as I am unable to include <netinet/sctp.h>
using cygwin, what could be the problem, and what should be done to solve
it?

best Regards

Tomasz Jankowski wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm completely new to cygwin (and generally to programming for the MS
> Windows too). I'm working on a library and I need to use some socket
> API in it. I decided to prepare port for win32, but it's much harder,
> that I thought.
> I found, that cygwin can make my life easier, especially a DLL
> provided by you. Generally I need cygwin only for network related
> functionality, for rest I use GLib.
> I have a few questions:
> 1. I found, that functions like sendmsg and recvmsg are available in
> cygwin, is it true?
> 2. What about IPv6, is it available in cygwin?
> 3. Does cygwin in some way support some other socket options, that win32
> do?
> 4. How does  the performance look? Will my library have really poorer
> performance if I use cygwin instead of winsock API?
>
> --
> Cya!
> Tom
>
> --

* SCTP (was Re: New to cygwin)
@ 2009-02-02 12:49   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2009-02-02 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Feb  2 02:48, sarshh wrote:
> Hi, can any one please guide me as I am unable to include <netinet/sctp.h>
> using cygwin, what could be the problem, and what should be done to solve
> it?

The reason for your problem is that there is no file netinet/sctp.h on
Cygwin.  The reason why there is no such file on Cygwin is that Windows does
not support the sctp protocol natively and nobody implemented sctp for
Cygwin so far.

http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#SHTDI
http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC

There's a free implementation of SCTP for various platforms
under the GPL here: http://www.sctp.de/

You can try to build it for Cygwin and, ideally, maintain it for the
Cygwin net distro.  See http://cygwin.com/setup.html

> best Regards
>
> Tomasz Jankowski wrote:
> >
> > Hello!
> > [...]

However, there's *no* good reason to hijack an entirely unrelated thread.
If you have questions, open your own thread.

Corinna

Red Hat