* SYSTEM as root user
@ 2009-02-03 18:48 Jaspreet Singh
From: Jaspreet Singh @ 2009-02-03 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

hi,

 How about if i make SYSTEM user as root in cygwin and
 Administrators
 Group as root Group, even install Cygwin 1.7 by SYSTEM
 user, Does it
  effect on Cygwin working in any way.

* Re: SYSTEM as root user
@ 2009-02-04  9:55 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2009-02-04  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Feb  4 00:18, Jaspreet Singh wrote:
> hi,
>
>  How about if i make SYSTEM user as root in cygwin and
>  Administrators
>  Group as root Group, even install Cygwin 1.7 by SYSTEM
>  user, Does it
>   effect on Cygwin working in any way.

I don't understand exactly what you're up to.  There's no really good
reason to install Cygwin as SYSTEM user.  You can install it just using
any administrative account, that should lead to the most servicable
results.  The "there's only one single godlike admin account called
root" concept of Unix is only partly imposable on Windows.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: SYSTEM as root user
@ 2009-02-04 12:14   ` Jaspreet Singh
From: Jaspreet Singh @ 2009-02-04 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The reason is something that most of the people not be interested.

Reason is that i am tring to port Webmin+Virtualmin to the Cygwin for web
Administration as it is. I ran webmin as SYSTEM user and in cron module i
 gave it command like 'su USER -c "crontab -l"'. So webmin is now write
crontab for other users. The reason is that SYSTEM user can 'su' to any
 user without any password needed now the problem is that webmin
knows 'root' as superuser as it is in native in any linux system and in
the cygwin it is 'Administrator' user it runs everything as it is supose
to be but the problem comes when it is permissions on the conf files and
other under /usr/local/webmin. I was just gussing that if i made SYSTEM
 user as root user then the problem with the permissions will go
away the only problem is that i cant ssh or anything else similar
by root user as it will be SYSTEM user and it does not have any password
then the question apears what will happen to other application under
that are under cygwin like chmod, named, httpd, and all the others.

the procedure i thought is following in steps

run bash as SYSTEM user (i got code how to do that)

run setup.exe (i am using Cygwin 1.7)

install just for me

edit passwd to make copy of SYSTEM User to above all others and rename to
root, Administrator become admin

install webmin as root user

what will next happen dont know

Why webmin - it can do crontab for others, useradmin works fine, even mount
works fine, and bunch of other things too

> >  How about if i make SYSTEM user as root in cygwin and
> >  Administrators
> >  Group as root Group, even install Cygwin 1.7 by
> SYSTEM
> >  user, Does it
> >   effect on Cygwin working in any way.
>
> I don't understand exactly what you're up to.
> There's no really good
> reason to install Cygwin as SYSTEM user.  You can install
> it just using
> any administrative account, that should lead to the most
> servicable
> results.  The "there's only one single godlike
> admin account called
> root" concept of Unix is only partly imposable on
> Windows.
>

> Corinna
>
> --
> Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails
> regarding Cygwin to
> Cygwin Project Co-Leader          cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
> Red Hat
>
> --

* Re: SYSTEM as root user
@ 2009-02-04 12:34     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2009-02-04 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Oh please,

http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU

http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR

On Feb  4 17:41, Jaspreet Singh wrote:
>  I was just gussing that if i made SYSTEM
>  user as root user then the problem with the permissions will go

I assume you read the Cygwin user's guide about NT security.  So you
know you can tweak /etc/passwd and rename SYSTEM to root and see what
happens.

> away the only problem is that i cant ssh or anything else similar
> by root user as it will be SYSTEM user and it does not have any password

Public key authentication allows to logon as SYSTEM using ssh.

Btw., nothing keeps you from patching webmin to recognize the SYSTEM
user as root user as well.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: SYSTEM as root user
@ 2009-02-04 13:02       ` Jaspreet Singh
From: Jaspreet Singh @ 2009-02-04 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

yes, you are right i thought of that too but i just gussing that reward to
be root user goes to SYSTEM rather than Administrator coz SYSTEM has
 capability to use 'su'. Just a guess but you are right its easy to patch
webmin to recognize SYSTEM not root than going into all the way installing
Cygwin as SYSTEM and the making is root User.

Thanks

(Some Other Problems for WCAMP Layout)
By the way Do you Know any really good IMAP/POP3 for cygwin with exim. UW
does not works problem is that it only do cram-md5 login nothing else.
 and compiling php under cygwin with mysql support still searching for
mysql.socket, dont have that coz its mysql client for windows mysql
 server.

> >  I was just gussing that if i made SYSTEM
> >  user as root user then the problem with the
> permissions will go
>
> I assume you read the Cygwin user's guide about NT
> security.  So you
> know you can tweak /etc/passwd and rename SYSTEM to root
> and see what
> happens.
>
> > away the only problem is that i cant ssh or anything
> else similar
> > by root user as it will be SYSTEM user and it does not
> have any password
>
> Public key authentication allows to logon as SYSTEM using
> ssh.
>
> Btw., nothing keeps you from patching webmin to recognize
> the SYSTEM
> user as root user as well.
>

> Corinna
>
> --
> Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails
> regarding Cygwin to
> Cygwin Project Co-Leader          cygwin AT cygwin DOT com
> Red Hat
>
> --

* Re: SYSTEM as root user
@ 2009-02-04 14:06         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2009-02-04 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

       [not found] <1210329909.24900.ezmlm@cygwin.com>
@ 2009-02-07 13:50 ` Jaspreet Singh
From: Jaspreet Singh @ 2009-02-07 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

ok, Webmin got patched thats done, Now problem is that i just
creted a new user 'test' with the help of useradmin module that worked
fine too, user is added by my perl script that adds user to windows
account then with /mkpasswd adds it to /etc/passwd, means thats valid
but runing /bin/bash as SYSTEM get me to su root that is
Administrator and even su to my User that is jaspreet member of
Administrators group but it does not get me to su user 'test' that
i just created. I think SYSTEM can su to any User. What about cyglsa
or that CYGWIN=server passwd -R, can any of this can help.

Any idea