* Standard conformance for wide characters
@ 2009-02-05 11:16 Frédéric Bron
From: Frédéric Bron @ 2009-02-05 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am forwarding this email from the boost mailing list.
I basically says that the next version of the boost filesystem library
(a well known library for C++ programming at www.boost.org) will not
compile on cygwin because of the lack of wide character support.
What can be done to make gcc/g++ standard conformant on this point so
that C++ programmers can continue to use cygwin?

F. Bron

boost-bounces@lists.boost.org a écrit sur 13/01/2009 15:16:02 :
> I've decided not to attempt support for Cygwin in the next version of
> Boost.Filesystem.
>
> Cygwin's lack of library support for wchar_t is the problem . For the
> current Boost.Filesystem version (v2), the necessary workarounds are so
> pervasive that the implementation code is much harder to read and
> maintain. Witness the number of bug reports that are Cygwin specific.
> For v3, currently under development, trying to support Cygwin would be
> even harder, and would cause a serious delay in development. Plus I'm
> tired of waiting for the cygwin folks to come into full C++ conformance.
>
> IIUC, the reason Cygwin doesn't provide C++ standard library support for
> wchar_t is that the underlying C library is missing the C wchar_t
> functions. Perhaps Boosters who care about Cygwin could spearhead an
> effort to add the missing C support? The needed functionality isn't all
> that complex; the main problem might be just learning enough about how
> Cygwin/GCC is configured and built to be able to add a fairy small
> number of C functions.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --Beman

* Re: Standard conformance for wide characters
@ 2009-02-05 11:30 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2009-02-05 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Feb  5 12:16, Fr?d?ric Bron wrote:
> I am forwarding this email from the boost mailing list.
> I basically says that the next version of the boost filesystem library
> (a well known library for C++ programming at www.boost.org) will not
> compile on cygwin because of the lack of wide character support.
> What can be done to make gcc/g++ standard conformant on this point so
> that C++ programmers can continue to use cygwin?

Cygwin is using the wide char functions provided by newlib.  Newlib
(http://sources.redhat.com/newlib/) is still lacking a couple of
wide char functions so far, namely:

  fwprintf
  fwscanf
  swprintf
  swscanf
  vfwprintf
  vswprintf
  vwprintf
  wprintf
  wscanf
  wcstod
  wcstof
  wcstold
  wcsftime
  wcstok

wcstok has been contributed but isn't checked in so far.  As for all
the other functions, contributions to newlib are always welcome on the
newlib mailing list.

Corinna

Red Hat