* how to install libtoolize
@ 2009-02-05 10:01 ludo
From: ludo @ 2009-02-05 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'll try to build VideoLAN but it uses libtoolize

I have tried to install libtool (1.5b-2) with setup.exe but this package
doesn't include /usr/bin/libtoolize.
In fact, the downloaded libtool-1.5b-2.tar.bz2 is empty

I have tried to installed an "alternative version" : I uncheck "Hide
obsolete packages" and I try to use libtool2.2 v2.2.2-2.
The resulting libtool2.2-2.2.2-2.tar.bz2 is also empty.

I have tried severals mirrors : all "official" libtool*.bz2 are empty.

But on the mirrors, there are libtool*.bz2 files with different version
number. (for example on
http://sources-redhat.mirrors.airband.net/cygwin/release/libtool/ there
is libtool-2.2.6a-1.tar.bz2 but the setup.ini from this mirroir doesn't
reference this file)

well, how can I install "libtool package" with the libtoolize file.

thanks,

* Re: how to install libtoolize
@ 2009-02-06  3:21 ` Wynfield Henman
From: Wynfield Henman @ 2009-02-06  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Though I am building a different package, I have the same problem as
mentioned below.  The libtool package downloaded is 46 bytes
(effectively null) and get stashed into the _obsolete folder without
ever getting installed.

Another problem just noticed is that the setup process is appending a
"/" character onto the end of the cygwin directory name on a mirror.

e.g. http%3a%2f%2fftp.daum.net%2fcygwin%2f

the %2f above. this creates a directory with the same name.  Names
shouldn't have "/", ok %2f in them in my opinion and it wasn't like
this before.  For example setup shows get the setup.bz2 file from the
following address
   http://ftp.duam.net/cygwin//setup.bz2

not the two consequtive //'s above.  Whether this causes a problem or
now I can't say, but I like to keep my downloaded files in the same
directory and this is now created a new one with a dangerous name
(i.e. an explicit '/' from the %2f.

Don't forget the libtool probelm as well. Related or not I do not
know.  All  help is appreciated

regards
  wynfield

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 7:01 PM,
From: ludovic leman:

@ 2009-02-06  3:56   ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2009-02-06  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 02/05/2009, Wynfield Henman wrote:
> Though I am building a different package, I have the same problem as
> mentioned below.  The libtool package downloaded is 46 bytes
> (effectively null) and get stashed into the _obsolete folder without
> ever getting installed.

<http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=usr%2Fbin%2Flibtoolize>

Don't install obselete packages unless you really know what you're doing.

Given the above, why doesn't just installing the 'libtool' package get
you what you need?

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: how to install libtoolize
@ 2009-02-07  1:10     ` wynfield
From: wynfield @ 2009-02-07  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Re:
>Larry Hall (Cygwin) <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On 02/05/2009, Wynfield Henman wrote:
> > Though I am building a different package, I have the same problem as
> > mentioned below.  The libtool package downloaded is 46 bytes
> > (effectively null) and get stashed into the _obsolete folder without
> > ever getting installed.
> <http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=usr%2Fbin%2Flibtoolize>
>
> Don't install obselete packages unless you really know what you're doing.
>
> Given the above, why doesn't just installing the 'libtool' package get
> you what you need?

That is just the problem it doesn't get what is needed, but only shows the obsolete (from what you say) versions as the newest.

I even tried experimental to try to find newer libtool version, but none show up.
Version1.5b or whatever was presented as the newest version by setup.

There was no intentional _obsolete gets on my part.
I solved the problem by hand getting the new vesion and untarring it in the appropriate location, but that shouldn't have to be done.

I believe it is a setup related problem, either hints or ini file data.

Regards

@ 2009-02-07 19:23       ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2009-02-07 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

wynfield@gmail.com wrote:
> Re:
>> Larry Hall (Cygwin) <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:
>> On 02/05/2009, Wynfield Henman wrote:
>>> Though I am building a different package, I have the same problem as
>>> mentioned below.  The libtool package downloaded is 46 bytes
>>> (effectively null) and get stashed into the _obsolete folder without
>>> ever getting installed.
>> <http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=usr%2Fbin%2Flibtoolize>
>>
>> Don't install obselete packages unless you really know what you're doing.
>>
>> Given the above, why doesn't just installing the 'libtool' package get
>> you what you need?
>>

> That is just the problem it doesn't get what is needed, but only shows the obsolete (from what you say) versions as the newest.
>
> I even tried experimental to try to find newer libtool version, but none show up.
> Version1.5b or whatever was presented as the newest version by setup.
>
> There was no intentional _obsolete gets on my part.
> I solved the problem by hand getting the new vesion and untarring it in the appropriate location, but that shouldn't have to be done.
>
> I believe it is a setup related problem, either hints or ini file data.

It may have been related to a problem with 'upset' late last week.  I
just tried it now using ftp://mirrors.xmission.com/cygwin and
http://sources-redhat.mirror.redwire.net/cygwin and had no trouble
getting version 2.2.6.a-1.  After the install, I have '/usr/bin/libtoolize'.
If you continue to see problems with 'setup.exe', report back with the
process you went through and the problems you're seeing.

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: how to install libtoolize
@ 2009-02-07 19:29         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2009-02-07 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 02:20:55PM -0500, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> wynfield@gmail.com wrote:
>> Re:
>>> Larry Hall (Cygwin) <reply-to-list-only-lh@cygwin.com> wrote:
>>> <http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=usr%2Fbin%2Flibtoolize>
>>>
>>> Don't install obselete packages unless you really know what you're doing.
>>>
>>> Given the above, why doesn't just installing the 'libtool' package get
>>> you what you need?
>>>
>> That is just the problem it doesn't get what is needed, but only shows the
>> obsolete (from what you say) versions as the newest. I even tried
>> experimental to try to find newer libtool version, but none show up.
>> Version1.5b or whatever was presented as the newest version by setup.
>> There was no intentional _obsolete gets on my part.
>> I solved the problem by hand getting the new vesion and untarring it in
>> the appropriate location, but that shouldn't have to be done. I believe it
>> is a setup related problem, either hints or ini file data.
>
> It may have been related to a problem with 'upset' late last week.  I
> just tried it now using ftp://mirrors.xmission.com/cygwin and
> http://sources-redhat.mirror.redwire.net/cygwin and had no trouble
> getting version 2.2.6.a-1.  After the install, I have
> '/usr/bin/libtoolize'.
> If you continue to see problems with 'setup.exe', report back with the
> process you went through and the problems you're seeing.

There are continued problems with setup.ini after last weeks problems.
I made some changes to tighten up the way that setup.ini was generated
which caused package directories to be sorted differently.  That
uncovered a problem with libtool, apr1, and aprutil1.  There were
duplicate packages in the cygwin "repo" and, after my changes, the
obsolete duplicate packages were given precedence over their newer
counterparts.

I've removed the offending packages and added error checking to upset
to catch this kind of thing in the future.

So, now, as last week, the thing to do is wait for the mirrors to catch
up and cross your fingers that this is the last package problem we'll see
for a while.

cgf

* Re: how to install libtoolize [FIXED]
@ 2009-02-09  8:46           ` ludo
From: ludo @ 2009-02-09  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

[...]
> There are continued problems with setup.ini after last weeks problems.
> I made some changes to tighten up the way that setup.ini was generated
> which caused package directories to be sorted differently.  That
> uncovered a problem with libtool, apr1, and aprutil1.  There were
> duplicate packages in the cygwin "repo" and, after my changes, the
> obsolete duplicate packages were given precedence over their newer
> counterparts.
>
> I've removed the offending packages and added error checking to upset
> to catch this kind of thing in the future.
>
> So, now, as last week, the thing to do is wait for the mirrors to catch
> up and cross your fingers that this is the last package problem we'll see
> for a while.
>
> cgf

now, setup.ini seems to be fixed. It contains reference to the last version
of libtool (libtool-2.2.6a-1.tar.bz2)

* Re: how to install libtoolize [FIXED]
@ 2009-02-09 15:22             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2009-02-09 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 09:46:37AM +0100, ludo wrote:
>cgf wrote:
>>There are continued problems with setup.ini after last weeks problems.
>>I made some changes to tighten up the way that setup.ini was generated
>>which caused package directories to be sorted differently.  That
>>uncovered a problem with libtool, apr1, and aprutil1.  There were
>>duplicate packages in the cygwin "repo" and, after my changes, the
>>obsolete duplicate packages were given precedence over their newer
>>counterparts.
>>
>>I've removed the offending packages and added error checking to upset
>>to catch this kind of thing in the future.
>>
>>So, now, as last week, the thing to do is wait for the mirrors to catch
>>up and cross your fingers that this is the last package problem we'll
>>see for a while.
>
>now, setup.ini seems to be fixed.  It contains reference to the last
>version of libtool (libtool-2.2.6a-1.tar.bz2)

Um, yeah, that was why I sent the mail.  It does, as always, depend on
the mirror that you're using, though.

cgf