* Tried mintty but it locks-up on enabling "Copy on select"
@ 2009-02-09 17:17 rhubbell
From: rhubbell @ 2009-02-09 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Maybe a known issue.

Just tried mintty 0.3.5:

Options->Mouse->Copy on select

mintty becomes unresponsive and I have to kill it.
The virtual set size goes to 450megabytes

After killing it it leaves behind a bash.exe which also has to be killed.
It's an 0.3.5 so I guess I'll wait a little while.

* Re: Tried mintty but it locks-up on enabling "Copy on select"
@ 2009-02-09 18:55 ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2009-02-09 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Maybe a known issue.
>
> Just tried mintty 0.3.5:
>
> Options->Mouse->Copy on select
>
> mintty becomes unresponsive and I have to kill it.
> The virtual set size goes to 450megabytes

That's a new one actually. Can you reproduce it? If it's not too much
bother, any details about the bug and your system would be
appreciated. The ~/.minttyrc file might be helpful too.

> After killing it it leaves behind a bash.exe which also has to be killed.

Yep, if it crashes, the child process won't get killed. But of course
it's not supposed to crash. :)

Andy

* Re: Tried mintty but it locks-up on enabling "Copy on select"
@ 2009-02-09 19:11   ` rhubbell
From: rhubbell @ 2009-02-09 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 18:54:58 +0000
Andy Koppe <andy.koppe@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Maybe a known issue.
> >
> > Just tried mintty 0.3.5:
> >
> > Options->Mouse->Copy on select
> >
> > mintty becomes unresponsive and I have to kill it.
> > The virtual set size goes to 450megabytes
>
> That's a new one actually. Can you reproduce it? If it's not too much
> bother, any details about the bug and your system would be
> appreciated. The ~/.minttyrc file might be helpful too.

Yes, it's reproducible. I just installed mintty and then ran it.
So whatever mintty does to .minttyrc is what's in that file.

I found a mintty.exe.stackdump
Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
The stack trace is incomplete and ends with
(probably corrupted stack)

@ 2009-02-09 19:20     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2009-02-09 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 11:11:01AM -0800, rhubbell wrote:
>On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 18:54:58 +0000
>Andy Koppe <andy.koppe@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Maybe a known issue.
>> >
>> > Just tried mintty 0.3.5:
>> >
>> > Options->Mouse->Copy on select
>> >
>> > mintty becomes unresponsive and I have to kill it.
>> > The virtual set size goes to 450megabytes
>>
>> That's a new one actually. Can you reproduce it? If it's not too much
>> bother, any details about the bug and your system would be
>> appreciated. The ~/.minttyrc file might be helpful too.
>
>Yes, it's reproducible. I just installed mintty and then ran it.
>So whatever mintty does to .minttyrc is what's in that file.
>
>I found a mintty.exe.stackdump
>Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
>The stack trace is incomplete and ends with
>(probably corrupted stack)

It's still possible that it would be useful though and if it's
truncated it can't be very long so go ahead and send it here.

cgf

* Re: Tried mintty but it locks-up on enabling "Copy on select"
@ 2009-02-09 19:20   ` rhubbell
From: rhubbell @ 2009-02-09 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 18:54:58 +0000
Andy Koppe <andy.koppe@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Maybe a known issue.
> >
> > Just tried mintty 0.3.5:
> >
> > Options->Mouse->Copy on select
> >
> > mintty becomes unresponsive and I have to kill it.
> > The virtual set size goes to 450megabytes
>
> That's a new one actually. Can you reproduce it? If it's not too much
> bother, any details about the bug and your system would be
> appreciated. The ~/.minttyrc file might be helpful too.

It's winxp with latest patches and I think I have latest cygwin.
Although I'm not certain of that.

@ 2009-02-10  7:29     ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2009-02-10  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>> That's a new one actually. Can you reproduce it? If it's not too much
>> bother, any details about the bug and your system would be
>> appreciated. The ~/.minttyrc file might be helpful too.
>
> It's winxp with latest patches and I think I have latest cygwin.
> Although I'm not certain of that.

I suspect most users will have 'copy on select' enabled and there've
been no problems reported so far, so particular circumstances on your
setup must be exposing a latent bug. Hence the .minttyrc and the
stackdump would be useful.

Also, a few more questions, if you're willing to help tracking it
down. Does it lock up as soon as you start mintty or the first time
you try to copy something? Have you got any clipboard utilities
running? Does it work if you delete or rename ~/.minttyrc to go back
to the default settings and copy something through the context menu?

Andy

* Re: Tried mintty but it locks-up on enabling "Copy on select"
@ 2009-02-10 13:33       ` Danilo Turina
From: Danilo Turina @ 2009-02-10 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I didn't know about the "Copy on select" option (and I already wanted to
start whining about that feature missing), so when I read the message of
rhubble I run to enable that feature and it worked flawlessly.

I run WinXP Pro with latest patches too.

The only "strange" behavior I can see is when I have mintty, X (xterm
for example) and CLCL (a clipboard history tool for Windows).
In that case the interaction of these three applications (mintty, xterm
and CLCL) produces from time to time malfunction of the copy on select
feature (both in mintty and xterm). So you could check if you have some
clipboard history/handler utility running.

Ciao,
	Danilo

Andy Koppe wrote:
>>> That's a new one actually. Can you reproduce it? If it's not too much
>>> bother, any details about the bug and your system would be
>>> appreciated. The ~/.minttyrc file might be helpful too.
>> It's winxp with latest patches and I think I have latest cygwin.
>> Although I'm not certain of that.
>
> I suspect most users will have 'copy on select' enabled and there've
> been no problems reported so far, so particular circumstances on your
> setup must be exposing a latent bug. Hence the .minttyrc and the
> stackdump would be useful.
>
> Also, a few more questions, if you're willing to help tracking it
> down. Does it lock up as soon as you start mintty or the first time
> you try to copy something? Have you got any clipboard utilities
> running? Does it work if you delete or rename ~/.minttyrc to go back
> to the default settings and copy something through the context menu?
>
> Andy
>
> --

Danilo Turina
Alcatel-Lucent
Software Developer
OND Network Management
Rieti (Italy)
Phone: +39 0746 600332

7 anni 10 mesi 1 giorno 4 ore 54 minuti 22 secondi

* Re: Tried mintty but it locks-up on enabling "Copy on select"
@ 2009-02-10 16:42       ` rhubbell
From: rhubbell @ 2009-02-10 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 07:29:03 +0000
Andy Koppe <andy.koppe@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> That's a new one actually. Can you reproduce it? If it's not too much
> >> bother, any details about the bug and your system would be
> >> appreciated. The ~/.minttyrc file might be helpful too.
> >
> > It's winxp with latest patches and I think I have latest cygwin.
> > Although I'm not certain of that.
>
> I suspect most users will have 'copy on select' enabled and there've
> been no problems reported so far, so particular circumstances on your
> setup must be exposing a latent bug. Hence the .minttyrc and the
> stackdump would be useful.

I'm passing on using mintty.  But I'll give you steps to reproduce.

1) run setup.exe
2) download -- but don't install
3) run setup.exe -- install from local dir
4) in filemanager dbl-click mintty.exe
5) in the term rt-click->Options->mouse->enable copy-on-select
6) mintty becomes unresponsive
7) kill mintty.exe and the associated bash.exe

I tried these steps today and was unable to reproduce.

> Also, a few more questions, if you're willing to help tracking it
> down.

Q1) Does it lock up as soon as you start mintty or the first time you try to copy something?

Q2) Have you got any clipboard utilities running?

Q3) Does it work if you delete or rename ~/.minttyrc to go back to the default settings and copy something through the context menu?

A1) See steps to repro above
A2) Every application has access to the clipboard, right? So yes.
A3) Didn't find a .minttyrc, does mintty create one when it starts?
    What does mintty put in there if it creates one?

@ 2009-02-12  7:34         ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2009-02-12  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> 1) run setup.exe
> 2) download -- but don't install
> 3) run setup.exe -- install from local dir
> 4) in filemanager dbl-click mintty.exe
> 5) in the term rt-click->Options->mouse->enable copy-on-select
> 6) mintty becomes unresponsive
> 7) kill mintty.exe and the associated bash.exe
>
> I tried these steps today and was unable to reproduce.

Thanks for trying anyway!

> Q2) Have you got any clipboard utilities running?
> A2) Every application has access to the clipboard, right? So yes.

You can get various 3rd party utilities for adding stuff like a
clipboard history or Windows-wide copy-on-select.

> Q3) Does it work if you delete or rename ~/.minttyrc to go back to the default settings and copy something through the context menu?
> A3) Didn't find a .minttyrc, does mintty create one when it starts?

No, it only creates one when you press OK in the options dialog, but
of course you didn't get to that.

>    What does mintty put in there if it creates one?

Its settings, in the form of key-value pairs like 'CopyOnSelect=1'.
(I'd asked in case it was a particular combination of options that
triggered the crash.)

Andy

* Re: Tried mintty but it locks-up on enabling "Copy on select"
@ 2009-02-12 17:10           ` rhubbell
From: rhubbell @ 2009-02-12 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Turns out I tried again to see if some particular app was part of the problem.
Tried YIM, Word, etc. But couldn't pinpoint. But I did see the problem
again. Still occurred while in the Options menu but was not in the copy-on-
select menu.  Just switching between sub-menus.

Maybe I'll try again some time and use ollydbg.

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 07:33:51 +0000