* Bug: /registry file system doesn't return len of default value of  keys
@ 2009-06-29  6:10 Linda Walsh
From: Linda Walsh @ 2009-06-29  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all,

I've run into some weird behavior from the file-utils (grep, file) but I
believe they may all be caused by the same root problem.

The /prog/registry filesystem doesn't return the length of the 'default'
value (often a string).

Under /proc/registry/HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/
I was grep'ing through   ".txt/@"  which I expected to find
the string "txtfile", but, I think because it is 0 len, grep
thinks it is a binary file (which I have my grep set to ignore).

Known bug?  Is it in the queue to be fixed someday? :-)

Now that I know about it, I know how to work around it, so
it's not urgent, but it is a bit of a problem with the normal
cygwin utils when they see a '0' len, even though it has
non-zero length content...

Linda

* Re: Bug: /registry file system doesn't return len of default value  of  keys
@ 2009-06-29 12:01 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2009-06-29 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun 28 20:25, Linda Walsh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've run into some weird behavior from the file-utils (grep, file) but I
> believe they may all be caused by the same root problem.
>
> The /prog/registry filesystem doesn't return the length of the 'default'
> value (often a string).
>

> Under /proc/registry/HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/
> I was grep'ing through   ".txt/@"  which I expected to find
> the string "txtfile", but, I think because it is 0 len, grep thinks it is
> a binary file (which I have my grep set to ignore).
>

> Known bug?  Is it in the queue to be fixed someday? :-)

Works in Cygwin 1.7

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Bug: /registry file system doesn't return len of default value   of  keys
@ 2009-06-29 23:06   ` Linda Walsh
From: Linda Walsh @ 2009-06-29 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jun 28 20:25, Linda Walsh wrote:
>> Known bug?  Is it in the queue to be fixed someday? :-)
>
> Works in Cygwin 1.7
----
	Hmmm...its still in testing?  How stable is it?
	Am I going to inflict, upon myself, more pain than I gain?  :-)

   And BTW, what happened to 1.6? current release says its still at 1.5.25-15

* Re: Bug: /registry file system doesn't return len of default value  of  keys
@ 2009-06-30 12:12     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2009-06-30 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jun 29 15:22, Linda Walsh wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Jun 28 20:25, Linda Walsh wrote:
>>> Known bug?  Is it in the queue to be fixed someday? :-)
>>
>> Works in Cygwin 1.7
> ----
> 	Hmmm...its still in testing?  How stable is it?

Quite stable, with kinks.  I venture the guess that the number of bugs
is not higher than with 1.5.25.  They are just different.

> 	Am I going to inflict, upon myself, more pain than I gain?  :-)

Come on, whom do you ask?

>   And BTW, what happened to 1.6? current release says its still at 1.5.25-15

The 1.6.x, 1.8.x numbers are reserved for the Red Hat supported
releases.

Corinna

Red Hat