* Ctrl+R breaks `less' searches
@ 2010-04-02 16:57 Lee Maschmeyer
From: Lee Maschmeyer @ 2010-04-02 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi folks,

Use of Ctrl+R in a `less' search breaks the search unless one has already
succeeded.

For example, I have a file with the word "book" on line 2.

Session 1:

/book
(it finds book)

Session 2:

/~Rbook
Pattern not found

Session 3:

/book
(it finds book)
<home>
/~Rbook
(it finds book)

This doesn't happen on Linux. IIRC my $LESS variable and .lesskey file are
the same in both places.

I hope this makes sense,

--
Lee Maschmeyer
Wayne State University Computing Center

[-- Attachment #2: cygcheck.out --]

* Re: Ctrl+R breaks `less' searches
@ 2010-04-05 17:37 ` Lee Maschmeyer
From: Lee Maschmeyer @ 2010-04-05 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>Use of Ctrl+R in a `less' search breaks the search unless a search has
>already succeeded.

1.7.3-1 fixed a lot of more important things, but unfortunately it didn't
fix this one. A standard search must succeed before a ~R (Regex-off) search
will succeed. So if I'm searching for something which requires regular
expressions to be off, I'll never find it unless I first search for
something that doesn't require Regex-off.

I sent the cygcheck output with the original report last week. Do you need
another one?

Have fun,

--

@ 2010-04-05 19:20   ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2010-04-05 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 4/5/2010 1:36 PM, Lee Maschmeyer wrote:
>> Use of Ctrl+R in a `less' search breaks the search unless a search has
>> already succeeded.
>
> 1.7.3-1 fixed a lot of more important things, but unfortunately it
> didn't fix this one. A standard search must succeed before a ~R
> (Regex-off) search will succeed. So if I'm searching for something which
> requires regular expressions to be off, I'll never find it unless I
> first search for something that doesn't require Regex-off.
>
> I sent the cygcheck output with the original report last week. Do you
> need another one?

No what you sent was fine.  You're covered unless someone requests more
data.

Holliston, MA 01746

A: Yes.

@ 2010-04-06  7:34   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2010-04-06  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Apr  5 13:36, Lee Maschmeyer wrote:
> >Use of Ctrl+R in a `less' search breaks the search unless a search has
> >already succeeded.
>
> 1.7.3-1 fixed a lot of more important things, but unfortunately it
> didn't fix this one. A standard search must succeed before a ~R
> (Regex-off) search will succeed. So if I'm searching for something
> which requires regular expressions to be off, I'll never find it
> unless I first search for something that doesn't require Regex-off.

That's not a Cygwin problem.  I can reproduce this behaviour on Fedora
11 with less 429 as well.  Less 436 in Fedora 12 is apparently fixed.

Corinna

Red Hat