* Re: installer improvements
@ 2010-04-08 10:16 Gary .
From: Gary . @ 2010-04-08 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

"Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]" wrote:
> http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html gives locations.

Doesn't solve the problem entirely. Location isn't the only issue,
despite what estate agents will tell you. There seem to often be
problems with the switch.ch mirror for example, even though it is
probably the closest to me (of course, if I were closer to a border it
might be a French, German, or Italian server, who knows).

I'm not sure I want to wait for pings off all the mirror servers, either.

But, since the website already knows where the mirrors are, and since
the installing computer possibly knows where *it* is (hell, you could
always ask the user, the first time)...

Anyway, what I'd really like to know is, manually parsing the
setup.ini aside, is there any way to uninstall (say) Cygwin/X all in
one blow? I spent what felt like hours last night clicking through
various packages to "uninstall", only for some later package, when
cycled through "reinstall" on the way to "uninstall", to reset it. I
considered taking a hammer to it, but didn't want to disturb the
neighbours at such a late hour. Now *that* would be an improvement to
setup I could get fully behind (a way of seeing and uninstalling not
only package A, but all dependant packages as well, not using a hamme
on the computer).

* installer improvements
@ 2010-04-05  9:47 wefwef wefwef
From: wefwef wefwef @ 2010-04-05  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

After using cygwin for years, and having some recent difficulty
installing, I took a look at the installer to actually try and
understand it (a novel concept I know!). Here are my thoughts on the
gui - I think it could be made considerably more user friendly with
some minor cosmetic changes.

The View button is being used to do two separate and unrelated tasks.
- Switch between category and list view
- Choose between partial, up to date, and not installed.
I suggest that additional radio buttons be used to select between
category and list view.

The terms used are not the clearest (and believe me, things are tricky
enough already)
Partial              -   I suggest change to 'to be be installed' or similar
Up to date        -   I suggest change to 'already installed' or similar
not installed     -   this is clear, no changes necessary

The way that (partial, up to date and not installed) is selected, via
clicking on a button multiple times is not very common in gui design.
It doesn't allow you to see all of the available choices at once. I
suggest replacing this button either with a group of radio buttons, or
a drop down list similar to the way that you can change the view in a
windows folder (details, list, icons)

I suggest that a new column be introduced, indicating whether a
package is already installed or not. The installer has this
information - it would be nice if it made it available to the user.

Also, on an unrelated note, it would be very nice, to sort the list of
mirrors in order of latency, or auto select the fastest available
mirror.

Chris