* List configuration?
@ 2010-04-29 15:21 Lee Maschmeyer
From: Lee Maschmeyer @ 2010-04-29 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi folks,

The user's guide requests that people reply to the list, but the default
headers are set up to reply to the sender. This seems a bit strange. I know
it's been this way for ages but I do get tired of realizing I forgot to
change the recipient.

--
Lee Maschmeyer
Wayne State University Computing Center

* Re: List configuration?
@ 2010-04-29 15:25 ` Jeremy Bopp
From: Jeremy Bopp @ 2010-04-29 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 4/29/2010 10:19 AM, Lee Maschmeyer wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> The user's guide requests that people reply to the list, but the default
> headers are set up to reply to the sender. This seems a bit strange. I
> know it's been this way for ages but I do get tired of realizing I
> forgot to change the recipient.

Have you tried using the rely-to-all function of your mailer?  When I do
that with Thunderbird, the recipient is correctly set to only the list
address.  If I simply reply, the recipient is indeed set to the sender
as you say.

-Jeremy

* Re: List configuration?
@ 2010-04-29 15:31 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2010-04-29 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:19:44AM -0400, Lee Maschmeyer wrote:
>The user's guide requests that people reply to the list, but the
>default headers are set up to reply to the sender.  This seems a bit
>strange.  I know it's been this way for ages but I do get tired of
>realizing I forgot to change the recipient.

Nope.  The default list configuration is to do nothing.  There is no
default setting to force replying to the sender.  That would be really
silly.

cgf

* Re: List configuration?
@ 2010-04-29 15:37   ` Ben Kamen
From: Ben Kamen @ 2010-04-29 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 4/29/2010 10:24 AM, Jeremy Bopp wrote:
> On 4/29/2010 10:19 AM, Lee Maschmeyer wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> The user's guide requests that people reply to the list, but the default
>> headers are set up to reply to the sender. This seems a bit strange. I
>> know it's been this way for ages but I do get tired of realizing I
>> forgot to change the recipient.
>
> Have you tried using the rely-to-all function of your mailer?  When I do
> that with Thunderbird, the recipient is correctly set to only the list
> address.  If I simply reply, the recipient is indeed set to the sender
> as you say.

The newer thunderbird (I think starting with version 3) has a button "Reply to List"

I try to remember to use that.

  -Ben

--
Ben Kamen - O.D.T., S.P.
Home: ben@benjammin.net                       http://www.benjammin.net

'fortune' says:
If your next pot of chili tastes better, it probably is
because of something left out, rather than added.

* Re: List configuration?
@ 2010-04-29 15:59   ` Lee Maschmeyer
From: Lee Maschmeyer @ 2010-04-29 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hmm. Replying to Christopher did set the header to the list, but more than
once I wrote to a person when I thought I was writing to the list. Not long
ago somebody else's name got affixed to my reply because the recipient was a
person instead of the list and that person had to massage it. That was
unfair to that other person.

--

@ 2010-04-29 17:55     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2010-04-29 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:37:49AM -0400, Lee Maschmeyer wrote:
>Hmm. Replying to Christopher did set the header to the list,

That's because *I* made a personal choice to set the Reply-To.

>but more than once I wrote to a person when I thought I was writing to
>the list.  Not long ago somebody else's name got affixed to my reply
>because the recipient was a person instead of the list and that person
>had to massage it.  That was unfair to that other person.

I guess it is well past time that we had all-pile-on discussion about
Reply-To, email clients, and reply-all but hasn't it occurred to you
that, given the age of this mailing list, all of this would have been
hashed and rehashed long ago?

cgf

* Re: List configuration?
@ 2010-04-30  2:50     ` Lee Rothstein
From: Lee Rothstein @ 2010-04-30  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 4/29/2010 11:31 AM, Ben Kamen wrote:
> The newer thunderbird (I think starting with version 3) has a button
> "Reply to List"
>
> I try to remember to use that.
>
>  -Ben

Thanks for the heads up on TB 3. Works like a charm