* apr hangs with accept4 and cygwin snapshots
@ 2010-07-16 21:08 Refr Bruhl
From: Refr Bruhl @ 2010-07-16 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin Mail List

Team

I am trying to compile apr-1.4.2 using cygwin

My cygwin version is 1.7.5

I am running into the "hangs with accept4" encountered in cygwin 1.5 as
described here:
http://lists-archives.org/cygwin/55337-configure-test-for-accept4-hangs.html

It appears a patch was made and committed to CVS. Can this patch be applied to
version 1.7.5? If so what is needed to make this work?

Thanks!
-R

* Re: apr hangs with accept4 and cygwin snapshots
@ 2010-07-16 21:08 ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2010-07-16 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/16/2010 1:56 PM, Refr Bruhl wrote:
> I am trying to compile apr-1.4.2 using cygwin

Why? It's already part of the distribution.

> My cygwin version is 1.7.5
>
> I am running into the "hangs with accept4" encountered in cygwin 1.5 as
> described here:
> http://lists-archives.org/cygwin/55337-configure-test-for-accept4-hangs.html
>
> It appears a patch was made and committed to CVS. Can this patch be applied to
> version 1.7.5? If so what is needed to make this work?

You can work around the problem for now by adding "apr_cv_accept4=yes"
to the configure arguments. Or you can use a developers snapshot of Cygwin.

Turnaucka's Law:
        The attention span of a computer is only as long as its
        electrical cord.

* Re: apr hangs with accept4 and cygwin snapshots
@ 2010-07-17  4:51   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2010-07-17  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 16/07/2010 22:08, David Rothenberger wrote:
> On 7/16/2010 1:56 PM, Refr Bruhl wrote:
>> I am trying to compile apr-1.4.2 using cygwin
>
> Why? It's already part of the distribution.

  I don't think we should ever ask that question.  It's essential to
open-source that people be able to get the source and build it themselves, and
asking about how to do so should always a valid question.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: apr hangs with accept4 and cygwin snapshots
@ 2010-07-17  5:25     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2010-07-17  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 02:25:49AM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>On 16/07/2010 22:08, David Rothenberger wrote:
>> On 7/16/2010 1:56 PM, Refr Bruhl wrote:
>>> I am trying to compile apr-1.4.2 using cygwin
>>
>>Why?  It's already part of the distribution.
>
>I don't think we should ever ask that question.  It's essential to
>open-source that people be able to get the source and build it
>themselves, and asking about how to do so should always a valid
>question.

It is not inconceivable that someone might not know that something
is in the distribution or may be confused about an option in the
existing binary.  So asking that question is entirely appropriate.

No one is insisting that they not build something but it is appropriate
to at least figure out what they know.  It could save someone a  lot
of pointless work.

cgf

* Re: apr hangs with accept4 and cygwin snapshots
@ 2010-07-17  6:03       ` dhenman
From: dhenman @ 2010-07-17  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I agree that the question (about why you want to ) should not be asked and agree
with rights and benefits of open source software.

Rather than a seemingly condensending question, a simple factual statement mentioning
the existence of an existing package (which can be some distance downstream) is all that's needed.

A lot of bugs and fixes are found by people exploring the newer versions
of packages and their efforts at finding solutions could help everyone
when upgrading time comes for others, as long as they inform us, or they might find
an obscure bug in cygwin, whose fix would help everyone as well.

Regards,
   d. henman

@ 2010-07-17  6:39         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2010-07-17  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 02:25:48PM +0900, dhenman wrote:
>I agree that the question (about why you want to ) should not be asked
>and agree with rights and benefits of open source software.
>
>Rather than a seemingly condensending question, a simple factual
>statement mentioning the existence of an existing package (which can be
>some distance downstream) is all that's needed.
>
>A lot of bugs and fixes are found by people exploring the newer
>versions of packages and their efforts at finding solutions could help
>everyone when upgrading time comes for others, as long as they inform
>us, or they might find an obscure bug in cygwin, whose fix would help
>everyone as well.

Rather than quibble about how the question is asked or how the
information is presented how about if we just assume good intentions all
around and avoid reading condescension into attempts to help?  If you
agree that it is appropriate to mention that a binary exists then there
we shouldn't have to spend a lot of time tip-toeing around sensibilities
to make sure that no one is offended by the way it is mentioned.

cgf

* Re: apr hangs with accept4 and cygwin snapshots
@ 2010-07-17  8:37   ` Refr Bruhl
From: Refr Bruhl @ 2010-07-17  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

uhh why then is it hanging? A new bug?

@ 2010-07-17  8:40     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2010-07-17  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU

On Jul 16 23:38, Refr Bruhl wrote:

> uhh why then is it hanging? A new bug?

http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2010-04/msg00586.html
It's not a new bug, the problem potentially existed already in 1.5.

Corinna

Red Hat