* starting excel from crontab
@ 2010-07-21 10:31 cygwin.20.maillinglist
From: cygwin.20.maillinglist @ 2010-07-21 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi folks,

I have the problem that I like to start Excel at the end of the workday from crontab.

Cron is running under a local system account.

The problem is that excel is started but does not popup. When I change the check box "Exchange Data with Desktop" I got always the error "*** fatal error - could not load user32, Win32 error 1114" for all cronjobs.

How can I fix the problem.

Thanks
  Franz

--
IMPORTANT
If you send me email directly it will be deleted.

* RE: starting excel from crontab
@ 2010-07-21 14:06 ` KARR, DAVID (ATTSI)
From: KARR, DAVID (ATTSI) @ 2010-07-21 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

You know, you ARE running on MS Windows.  It does actually provide some features that are occasionally useful.

If you want to run a Windows application on a schedule, just use "Start"->"All Programs"->"Accessories"->"System Tools"->"Scheduled Tasks".  I don't know that it's scheduling capabilities are quite as full as cron, but it likely will do what you need.

* Re: starting excel from crontab
@ 2010-07-21 14:06 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2010-07-21 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul 21 11:13, cygwin.20.maillinglist@spamgourmet.com wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have the problem that I like to start Excel at the end of the workday from crontab.
>
> Cron is running under a local system account.
>
> The problem is that excel is started but does not popup. When I change the check box "Exchange Data with Desktop" I got always the error "*** fatal error - could not load user32, Win32 error 1114" for all cronjobs.
>
> How can I fix the problem.

See http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-setuid-overview

Does any one of the alternative methods to switch the user context work?
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-nopasswd2
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-nopasswd3

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: starting excel from crontab
@ 2010-07-21 15:07   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2010-07-21 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 06:57:56AM -0700, KARR, DAVID (ATTSI) wrote:
> [...]

Please don't do this.  This is what the email headers are for.

And: http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR

* Re: starting excel from crontab
@ 2010-07-27 14:00 cygwin.20.maillinglist
From: cygwin.20.maillinglist @ 2010-07-27 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 16:06:22 +0200
> Von: "Corinna Vinschen - corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com" <+cygwin+maillinglist+27352a5def.corinna-cygwin#cygwin.com@spamgourmet.com>
> An: cygwin@cygwin.com
> Betreff: Re: starting excel from crontab

> On Jul 21 11:13, cygwin.20.maillinglist@spamgourmet.com wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I have the problem that I like to start Excel at the end of the workday
> from crontab.
> >
> > Cron is running under a local system account.
> >
> > The problem is that excel is started but does not popup. When I change
> the check box "Exchange Data with Desktop" I got always the error "*** fatal
> error - could not load user32, Win32 error 1114" for all cronjobs.
> >
> > How can I fix the problem.
>
> See http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-setuid-overview

Sorry I read this already, but I'm not sure that I understood it correct. As far as I understood it this means.

1. Method would be installation cron as privileged account and do nothing else?
2. Method would be installation with telling using cyglsa packages and do nothing else?
3. Method same as method 1 but making passwd -R after setting up cron?

Setup of the cron I did with admin rights.

If I'm wrong please tell me.

> Does any one of the alternative methods to switch the user context work?
I changed the setup of cron that a privileged account should run the cron but I got the same error on any cron entry.

> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-nopasswd2
I think I used this already because on initial setup I told the cron-config that I using the cyglsa package.

> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-nopasswd3
when I use passwd -R as normal user I got the error.
Storing password failed: Function not implemented
As Admin the is no error.

Here the cron entries are running. I change the option at the service but still no excel comming up.

I tried all but still no excel running in foreground.

--

@ 2007-11-13 16:59     ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2007-11-13 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

cygwin.20.maillinglist@spamgourmet.com wrote:
> +cygwin+maillinglist+eb14c9acbd.reply-to-list-only-lh#cygwin.c
> om@spamgourmet.com wrote:
>> cygwin.20.maillinglist@spamgourmet.com wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I like to use only one scheduler under window. And I like to use
>>> crontab for that. The problem is that if I start excel from the
>>> crontab no window of excel is shown. Excel is running. I can see it
>>> in the process list. The process is running under my name.
>>>
>> Did you enable the cron service to interact with the desktop?
>
> No I didn't. Now it works fine.
>
> Thank you very much.

You're welcome.

>> A: Yes.
>>  > Q: Are you sure?
>>  >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
>>  >>> Q: Why is top posting annoying in email?
>
> I hope that I could use the this part of your signature for my
> signature? If not please post to the list.

Fine by me.  I actually scoffed it from someone else so I can't
claim any ownership of it. :-)

Holliston, MA 01746

* RE: Starting Excel from crontab
@ 2007-11-13 16:25   ` cygwin.20.maillinglist
From: cygwin.20.maillinglist @ 2007-11-13 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

om@spamgourmet.com wrote:
> cygwin.20.maillinglist@spamgourmet.com wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I like to use only one scheduler under window. And I like to use
>> crontab for that. The problem is that if I start excel from the
>> crontab no window of excel is shown. Excel is running. I can see it
>> in the process list. The process is running under my name.
>>

> Did you enable the cron service to interact with the desktop?

No I didn't. Now it works fine.

Thank you very much.

> A: Yes.
>  > Q: Are you sure?
>  >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
>  >>> Q: Why is top posting annoying in email?

I hope that I could use the this part of your signature for my
signature? If not please post to the list.

Franz

IMPORTANT
I will read replies only from the mailing list.

@ 2007-11-12 13:54 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2007-11-12 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2007-11-12 13:21 cygwin.20.maillinglist