* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Update on status of make-3.82 release for cygwin
@ 2010-08-10 19:43 Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2010-08-10 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I wanted to let everyone know that I'm aware of the fact that make-3.82
has been released.  However, given the number of reported problems in
the make bugs mailing list, I don't plan on releasing a new version of
GNU make until the dust has settled.  That means no new version of make
for at least a month.

Also, given the ability to use more UNIX-like filenames in Cygwin 1.7.x,
I'm contemplating not doing what I'd previously mentioned - using new
changes in GNU make to allow MS-DOS file names like "c:\foo" in
makefiles.  I'll have to investigate just how much the Windows-isms in
GNU make's code impact Cygwin make before I make a final determination.
I may just decide to reenable the --ms-dos option as it used to be in
the old days.  Or, if that's too much work, I might just turn off
special-case handling of c:\blah entirely - just like it is in
make-3.81.

FYI.

              *** CYGWIN-ANNOUNCE UNSUBSCRIBE INFO ***

If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, please
use the automated form at:

If this does not work, then look at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the
email header of this message.  Send email to the address specified
there.  It will be in the format:

If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:

Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Update on status of make-3.82 release for cygwin
@ 2010-08-10 20:13 ` Rob Walker
From: Rob Walker @ 2010-08-10 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/10/2010 10:54 AM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> I wanted to let everyone know that I'm aware of the fact that make-3.82
> has been released.  However, given the number of reported problems in
> the make bugs mailing list, I don't plan on releasing a new version of
> GNU make until the dust has settled.  That means no new version of make
> for at least a month.
>
> Also, given the ability to use more UNIX-like filenames in Cygwin 1.7.x,
> I'm contemplating not doing what I'd previously mentioned - using new
> changes in GNU make to allow MS-DOS file names like "c:\foo" in
> makefiles.  I'll have to investigate just how much the Windows-isms in
> GNU make's code impact Cygwin make before I make a final determination.
> I may just decide to reenable the --ms-dos option as it used to be in
> the old days.  Or, if that's too much work, I might just turn off
> special-case handling of c:\blah entirely - just like it is in
> make-3.81.
>
> FYI.

Thanks for the heads up.

On Cygwin, make-3.82 supports DOS paths by default.  I'm curious about
what work might be involved in re-enabling the --ms-dos option, and I'd
like to help, if I can.

I built my Cygwin make-3.82 packages directly from the upstream release
tarball using the attached script.

-Rob

[-- Attachment #2: package.sh --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1339 bytes --]

#!/bin/bash

# naming convention and rules for generation from http://cygwin.com/setup.html
PACKAGE=make
VERSION=3.82
# release number
RELEASE=1
PACKAGE_BIN_FILE=${PACKAGE}-${VERSION}-${RELEASE}.tar.bz2
PACKAGE_SRC_FILE=${PACKAGE}-${VERSION}-${RELEASE}-src.tar.bz2

# constructed stuff
PACKAGE_BIN_DIR=usr
PACKAGE_SRC_DIR=${PACKAGE}-${VERSION}-${RELEASE}

# stuff for building
VENDOR_DIR=make-3.82
VENDOR_FILE=${VENDOR_DIR}.tar.gz
BUILD_PREFIX=/usr

# whack anything generated
rm -f -r ${PACKAGE_BIN_FILE} \
         ${PACKAGE_BIN_DIR} \
         ${PACKAGE_SRC_FILE} \
         ${PACKAGE_SRC_DIR} \
         ${VENDOR_DIR} \
         || exit 1

if [ "$1" = "clean" ]
then
   exit 0
fi

# unpack tarball
tar zxf ${VENDOR_FILE} || exit 1

# archive source for package
cp -r ${VENDOR_DIR} ${PACKAGE_SRC_DIR} || exit 1

# construct PACKAGE_SRC_FILE from archive
(tar cf - --owner=0 --group=0 ${PACKAGE_SRC_DIR} |
    bzip2 > ${PACKAGE_SRC_FILE}) || exit 1

if [ "$1" = "nobuild" ]
then
   exit 0
fi

pushd ${PACKAGE_SRC_DIR} || exit 1

   # run ./configure
   ./configure --prefix=${BUILD_PREFIX} || exit 1

   # note that make needs an absolute path for installation
   make prefix="$(pwd)/../${PACKAGE_BIN_DIR}" install || exit 1

popd

(tar cf - --owner=0 --group=0 ${PACKAGE_BIN_DIR} | \
    bzip2 > ${PACKAGE_BIN_FILE}) || exit 1

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Update on status of make-3.82 release for cygwin
@ 2010-08-10 20:21   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2010-08-10 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 01:13:41PM -0700, Rob Walker wrote:
>On Cygwin, make-3.82 supports DOS paths by default.  I'm curious about
>what work might be involved in re-enabling the --ms-dos option, and I'd
>like to help, if I can.
>
>I built my Cygwin make-3.82 packages directly from the upstream release
>tarball using the attached script.

I don't need help.  I've been building make for years so I obviously
don't need your script.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Update on status of make-3.82 release for cygwin
@ 2010-08-10 20:51 ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2010-08-10 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 10.08.2010, 19:54 Uhr, schrieb Christopher Faylor:

> I wanted to let everyone know that I'm aware of the fact that make-3.82
> has been released.  However, given the number of reported problems in
> the make bugs mailing list, I don't plan on releasing a new version of
> GNU make until the dust has settled.  That means no new version of make
> for at least a month.
>
> Also, given the ability to use more UNIX-like filenames in Cygwin 1.7.x,
> I'm contemplating not doing what I'd previously mentioned - using new
> changes in GNU make to allow MS-DOS file names like "c:\foo" in
> makefiles.  I'll have to investigate just how much the Windows-isms in
> GNU make's code impact Cygwin make before I make a final determination.
> I may just decide to reenable the --ms-dos option as it used to be in
> the old days.  Or, if that's too much work, I might just turn off
> special-case handling of c:\blah entirely - just like it is in
> make-3.81.

How about pointing people to mingw-make? I've been using that to build
ntemacs for quite a while...

--
Matthias Andree

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Update on status of make-3.82 release for cygwin
@ 2010-08-10 21:00   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2010-08-10 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 10:51:38PM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
>Am 10.08.2010, 19:54 Uhr, schrieb Christopher Faylor:
>
>> I wanted to let everyone know that I'm aware of the fact that make-3.82
>> has been released.  However, given the number of reported problems in
>> the make bugs mailing list, I don't plan on releasing a new version of
>> GNU make until the dust has settled.  That means no new version of make
>> for at least a month.
>>
>> Also, given the ability to use more UNIX-like filenames in Cygwin 1.7.x,
>> I'm contemplating not doing what I'd previously mentioned - using new
>> changes in GNU make to allow MS-DOS file names like "c:\foo" in
>> makefiles.  I'll have to investigate just how much the Windows-isms in
>> GNU make's code impact Cygwin make before I make a final determination.
>> I may just decide to reenable the --ms-dos option as it used to be in
>> the old days.  Or, if that's too much work, I might just turn off
>> special-case handling of c:\blah entirely - just like it is in
>> make-3.81.
>
>How about pointing people to mingw-make? I've been using that to build
>ntemacs for quite a while...

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2008-02/msg00006.html

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Update on status of make-3.82 release for cygwin
@ 2010-08-10 21:04     ` Rob Walker
From: Rob Walker @ 2010-08-10 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 01:13:41PM -0700, Rob Walker wrote:
>
>> On Cygwin, make-3.82 supports DOS paths by default.  I'm curious about
>> what work might be involved in re-enabling the --ms-dos option, and I'd
>> like to help, if I can.
>>
>> I built my Cygwin make-3.82 packages directly from the upstream release
>> tarball using the attached script.
>>
> I don't need help.  I've been building make for years so I obviously
> don't need your script.

Sorry for the confusion: I was not offering my script as "hey look,
here's how you do it", I was more saying "I did it this way, but maybe
that's too simple.  What else is involved, and can I help with that?"

So: I'm still curious about the work you anticipate might be required.
There's not much on the Cygwin site detailing the responsibilities of a
package maintainer beyond:

    /Do you have the time to maintain the package?/
    Packages without active maintainers are pulled from the
    distribution. Generally speaking the time commitment is relatively
    low, simply subscribe to the cygwin mailing list. We'd prefer if you
    read the non-digest mode since prompt response to packaging issues
    is a plus. When a /bug/ in your package is reported in the cygwin
    mailing list, address the bug (if it's a Cygwin-only bug) or pass
    back to the vendor. When a solution exists, create an updated
    package with the fix in it, and send a notification that you need
    the package uploaded to cygwin-apps. Note that you are not expected
    to be a helpdesk for the package - the users should be pointed to
    the vendors lists if you've determined that the bug is not a
    Cygwin-related bug.

Thanks,
Rob

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Update on status of make-3.82 release for cygwin
@ 2010-08-10 21:18       ` Larry Hall (Cygwin)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin) @ 2010-08-10 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/10/2010 5:04 PM, Rob Walker wrote:
> On 8/10/2010 1:21 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 01:13:41PM -0700, Rob Walker wrote:
>>> On Cygwin, make-3.82 supports DOS paths by default. I'm curious about
>>> what work might be involved in re-enabling the --ms-dos option, and I'd
>>> like to help, if I can.
>>>
>>> I built my Cygwin make-3.82 packages directly from the upstream release
>>> tarball using the attached script.
>> I don't need help. I've been building make for years so I obviously
>> don't need your script.
>>

> Sorry for the confusion: I was not offering my script as "hey look,
> here's how you do it", I was more saying "I did it this way, but maybe
> that's too simple. What else is involved, and can I help with that?"
>
> So: I'm still curious about the work you anticipate might be required.
> There's not much on the Cygwin site detailing the responsibilities of a
> package maintainer beyond:

It's a maintainer's responsibility to decide what's the best way to
package the software for Cygwin.  Obviously, there are basic guidelines,
such as package naming, build scripts, and the like.  But the rest is
up to the maintainer.  So if a maintainer doesn't think a feature fits
well with Cygwin usage, then he/she is free to modify the package to
disable that feature.  Ditto if the feature is normally disabled but
would be better enabled for Cygwin.  This is the process that Chris is
going through right now for make-3.82.

Holliston, MA 01746

A: Yes.

@ 2010-08-11  5:38       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2010-08-11  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 02:04:47PM -0700, Rob Walker wrote:
>On 8/10/2010 1:21 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 01:13:41PM -0700, Rob Walker wrote:
>>
>>> On Cygwin, make-3.82 supports DOS paths by default.  I'm curious about
>>> what work might be involved in re-enabling the --ms-dos option, and I'd
>>> like to help, if I can.
>>>
>>> I built my Cygwin make-3.82 packages directly from the upstream release
>>> tarball using the attached script.
>>>
>> I don't need help.  I've been building make for years so I obviously
>> don't need your script.
>
>Sorry for the confusion: I was not offering my script as "hey look,
>here's how you do it", I was more saying "I did it this way, but maybe
>that's too simple.  What else is involved, and can I help with that?"

Once again: Don't need help.

If you are thinking about maintaining a cygwin package then watch what
is being discussed in cygwin-apps and read the "Cygwin Packages" link on
the Cygwin web site.  If you have a general question about cygwin
packages then ask it.

I'm not going to be providing you with my personal insights about make,
however.

cgf

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Update on status of make-3.82 release for cygwin
@ 2010-08-11  6:33         ` Rob Walker
From: Rob Walker @ 2010-08-11  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 02:04:47PM -0700, Rob Walker wrote:

>>> I don't need help.  I've been building make for years so I obviously
>>> don't need your script.
>>>
>> Sorry for the confusion: I was not offering my script as "hey look,
>> here's how you do it", I was more saying "I did it this way, but maybe
>> that's too simple.  What else is involved, and can I help with that?"
>>
> Once again: Don't need help.
>
> If you are thinking about maintaining a cygwin package then watch what
> is being discussed in cygwin-apps

I am thinking about maintaining a Cygwin package.  I have re-subscribed
to cygwin-apps to try to get de-noobed.

> and read the "Cygwin Packages" link on
> the Cygwin web site.

I've read that page pretty closely.  The result was my construction and
offer of make-3.81-4 Cygwin packages to address the lack of support for
colons in paths, and later, make-3.82 Cygwin packages.

> If you have a general question about cygwin
> packages then ask it.

My general question was: "What requirements does a package maintainer
need to consider, what tests must pass, etc. when constructing a Cygwin
package from an upstream release?"  The answer (which I am paraphrasing
from Larry Hall's response on the matter) seems to be basically:
"Whatever the package maintainer thinks is right."

-Rob

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Update on status of make-3.82 release for cygwin
@ 2010-08-11  7:32     ` Matthias Andree
From: Matthias Andree @ 2010-08-11  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 10.08.2010, 23:00 Uhr, schrieb Christopher Faylor:

> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 10:51:38PM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
>> Am 10.08.2010, 19:54 Uhr, schrieb Christopher Faylor:
>>
>>> I wanted to let everyone know that I'm aware of the fact that make-3.82
>>> has been released.  However, given the number of reported problems in
>>> the make bugs mailing list, I don't plan on releasing a new version of
>>> GNU make until the dust has settled.  That means no new version of make
>>> for at least a month.
>>>
>>> Also, given the ability to use more UNIX-like filenames in Cygwin
>>> 1.7.x,
>>> I'm contemplating not doing what I'd previously mentioned - using new
>>> changes in GNU make to allow MS-DOS file names like "c:\foo" in
>>> makefiles.  I'll have to investigate just how much the Windows-isms in
>>> GNU make's code impact Cygwin make before I make a final determination.
>>> I may just decide to reenable the --ms-dos option as it used to be in
>>> the old days.  Or, if that's too much work, I might just turn off
>>> special-case handling of c:\blah entirely - just like it is in
>>> make-3.81.
>>
>> How about pointing people to mingw-make? I've been using that to build
>> ntemacs for quite a while...
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2008-02/msg00006.html

Exactly - that why I'm asking why this win32/ms-dos file name re-enable
thingy comes up
again for Cygwin's GNU make...

--
Matthias Andree

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Update on status of make-3.82 release for cygwin
@ 2010-08-11 14:05       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2010-08-11 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 09:32:13AM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
>Am 10.08.2010, 23:00 Uhr, schrieb Christopher Faylor:

>>> How about pointing people to mingw-make? I've been using that to build
>>> ntemacs for quite a while...
>>
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2008-02/msg00006.html
>
>Exactly - that why I'm asking why this win32/ms-dos file name re-enable
>thingy comes up
>again for Cygwin's GNU make...

"I'm contemplating not doing what I'd previously mentioned"

I had said that I'd reenable it if things changed in make.  I've changed
my mind so I was letting people know.

cgf